Removing decklid release latch (77 308GTB) | FerrariChat

Removing decklid release latch (77 308GTB)

Discussion in '308/328' started by decampos, Apr 20, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. decampos

decampos Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 11, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ben
    #1 decampos, Apr 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Does anyone know the best way to remove the plastic housing to the engine lid release latch? I have a feeling the latch and the housing might not separate. If that's the case, what's the best way to remove the whole unit?
    Many thanks.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    The metal latch is connected to the cable that releases the rear lid. The metal latch is also attached and pivots inside the black frame. If you lift the latch, you will see a small screw under it that holds it in place. Even if you undo the screw, the latch and frame are held back by the cable which goes back to the deck lid latches.

Do you want to replace the latch or frame? The chrome and black parts come as one piece from Ferrari, but you may be able to find them seperated somewhere. If so, do a search on broken deck lid cable or those types of terms. Replacing the cable (or at least removing it) goes with the latch.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The latch handle is pinned to the cup....correct it's an "assembly" in the parts catalog.

Unobtainaium Supply makes the replacement bucket and provides a tutorial on it's installation.....

I'll offer be VERY careful here, as if the engine lid shuts and the latches are not working, you have to smash out tail lights, I'd remove them in advance, if you are going to "adjust" the cabling.....

4. decampos

decampos Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 11, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Thanks for the replies chaps. Nothing's broken, I just need to remove all the trim items along that area to do some restoration work on the paint. Is it not easy to detach the cable from the latch to temporary remove it or is it waaaay to much hassle?

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    No worries, just be aware you'll disarrange all the latch cable adjustments, and don't let it fall back into the recesses of the body work.

Maybe contact our Verrell and get him to send a .pdf of his instructions???
    They are very good.....

6. decampos

decampos Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 11, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ben
    I will do. Thanks. Do you know how the cable is attached the the latch? I can't get enough access to work that out. I can only imagine it would be a nightmare to re-attach.

7. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    #7 Mule, Apr 20, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
    The cable comes out of the bodywork and has an eye at the end. It goes over a post on the back of the handle and is secured with a nut and washer. I do not think you can get to it without undoing the cable at the latches and pulling the whole thing out. There is one screw that holds the handle to the body, and one nut that holds the cable to the handle.

To do this you pretty much need to follow the replacement cable procedures that I learned below:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128924&highlight=mule+cable