News

Removing the charcoal canister from my vacuum system

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Kurt SC, May 16, 2020.

1. Kurt SC

Kurt SC Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 16, 2017
    Charleston
    Full Name:
    Kurt W.
    I recently pulled the radiator for reconditioning and noticed a vacuum charcoal canister attached to one of the fan mounts. My car was imported into USA when new and this was obviously added for epa regulations. I’ve already removed the cats and all the other unnecessary epa crap over the years but missed this. What should I do with the fuel tank vent line shown in my hand? It runs from engine bay all the way to fuel tank. The canister was looped back into the right intake bank before I removed it. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Yup, looks quite familiar. Took mine off years ago, as to the pipe, follow it back and remove it also, as it was done for EPA also, mine was a rubber hose all the way.
    Just cap off the other end where it joined the original fuel vent, mine was a TEE fitting, which I removed and replaced with a straight splice.

Gary

Kurt SC likes this.
  3. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    I was having an issue with gas tank pressurizing on hot days; when cap was removed for a fill-up there was a lot of pressure on the cap. I had similar carbon canister against the firewall. I tried to blow thru the line back to the tank and it was clogged. I blew a little harder and it cleared. Tank pressure issue was gone. So I am not sure just blocking the hose back at the tank is the best otrion.
    Ken

4. Kurt SC

Kurt SC Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 16, 2017
    Charleston
    Full Name:
    Kurt W.
    There has always been some relief pressure when removing my gas cap for fill up so I guess the canister failed long ago... The design and technology are so outdated that I can’t see where it’s still needed. Really cleans up the engine bay without all the extra lines etc...

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You might look at the system diagram, in the 308 a similar canister has a valve in the tubing in the inner fender,, for one way flow towards the canister, then the can vents in bottom to air.

Your back feed into the intake is obviously a little different...

6. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Here is a pic of my canister before removal, ( which was done after the battery & tray were removed ), look close at the rusty wrench stuck between the heat shield and frame.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

And here is the " professionally installed " check valve and vapor line going to the tank.

And the really neat way to grab vacuum from the intake, which required replacement of the hose.

Of course, it's all in the plastic tub with the EPA stuff.

Gary

7. Kurt SC

Kurt SC Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 16, 2017
    Charleston
    Full Name:
    Kurt W.
    EPA...I guess one should watch the beginning of the movie “The Rain Man” to understand how desperate car importers were back in the day to make a sale and comply with the then regulations.