Removing the Seats - 3.2 Cabriolet | FerrariChat

Removing the Seats - 3.2 Cabriolet

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Il Steeg, Apr 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Il Steeg

Il Steeg Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

So I've looked for a thread on this, but if it's there, I've missed it - so here goes.... I'm doing some work on the interior, and I figure all access would be better (plus, I can Leatherique the seats completely) if I take the front seats completely out. However, when I start unscrewing the anchor bolts (#17), they don't seem to be screwed into the frame crossmember (raised section across the floor - #50) but the seem to be threaded into a nut which is inside the crossmember. There doesn't seem to be any access into that crossmember (including from under the car) and I'm afraid that, if I completely unscrew the #17 bolt, the nut inside the crossmember will fall loose into the crossmember, and I'll never be able to remount the seats...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Help me, Obi-Wan's, you're my only hope!

2. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    You have the four bolts on each seat/frame base that take an Allen key - can’t remember size. Then the seat and runner just lifts out. There is just a threaded hole/socket, nothing to lose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Ooooh lies, that’s the Q.V.... let me re-check....

4. JimboMondial

JimboMondial Karting

Dec 26, 2005
    Portsmouth UK
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Didn't have a problem when I removed and reinstall my seats the cross member has cage captive nuts. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X50F using Tapatalk

Il Steeg likes this.
  5. Il Steeg

Il Steeg Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

StuR... That's what I got from reading the parts chart... . But when I start backing out the Allen key bolts, when they come loose, they wiggle around like they are attached to a nut in the crossmember, rather than firmly threaded into the crossmember itself. Maybe I'm hallucinating, but that's what it feels like....

6. Il Steeg

Il Steeg Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

OK - captive nuts... That explains why the Allen bolts 'wiggle'.... Thanks!

StuR likes this.
  7. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Steeg, you asked for Obi and I have you Lando - pre carbonite!!! Yeah I hadn’t realised the 3.2 fixing was different despite same seat.

8. Il Steeg

Il Steeg Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

No problem! Thanks all - seats are out - Leatherique applied. Next stop: front bank of spark plugs!

9. Il Steeg

Il Steeg Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

"...captive nuts"... I should have known... That was my nickname all the way through Middle School... Hay-oooooh! I'm here all week, try the veal, don't forget to tip your server!

I'll show myself out......

JimboMondial and StuR like this.
  10. Il Steeg

Il Steeg Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Ha-ha!!! I'm rich!!! I found a gold mine under the front seats! I can retire a wealthy man!

Wait... A sunflower seed...? A SUNFLOWER SEED?!?!?!?!? Who's scarfing sunflower seeds while they're driving their Mondial?!?!

Names! I want names!!!!!

StuR likes this.
  11. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    With a mondial, over a 2 seater, there’s always a greater chance that one of the 3 ladies you’re taking home will be a vegetarian. Similarly, with three ladies to take home, you’re gonna need those power-foods!

Il Steeg likes this.
  12. Clnilsen

Clnilsen Karting

Jan 14, 2012
    Celebration, FL
    Full Name:
    Chuck Nilsen
    How do you do your Leatherique? I've been contemplating the "apply, put in large black trash bag and set out in sun for 8 hours" method.

It may help though since I'm in Florida....

13. Il Steeg

Il Steeg Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Being in Florida would certainly help in my case.... It's in the 50's and raining (Gee, what are the odds?) here in Seattle. Exotics@RedmondTownCenter (NOT C and C, but an incredible get-together with legen - wait for it - dary cars was rained out last week and probably will be again this week... GRRRR!!!!!

I've got the car in my heated garage, and the front seats are in the family room. I took the front seats out so I could Leatherique every nook and cranny, and I can get to every square inch of the center tunnel now, too. The back seats stay in the car, but they're in virtually new condition (compared to the fronts), and with the fronts out, the access to change the front bank of plugs made that job a relative snap. I'm also changing the radio head unit BACK to a period correct Pioneer model, so the access to that is light-years better, too...

This car was originally purchased in Rome (the first several dealer maintenance stamps in the service log book), and spent time in London (MOT's), L.A.(another maintenance stamp), Arizona, and Wash., D.C. before it got to me, so sun damage from its time in LA and AZ on the outside on the front seats is the biggest challenge. I did a Leatherique treatment as soon as I received the car (a year ago), and it helped a great deal right away. I wasn't able to 'bag' the seats, or anything like that - I just 'slathered' it on and let it soak in for a day or so. It was warmer at the time, so I just left the garage open with the car in the shade. It was the best I could do, and it certainly helped. The leather is FAR from perfect, but it's sure better. The worst of the sun-damaged areas had the 'cardboard' feel when I started, and they feel much more like leather should now... "Bagging" the seats would probably have done even more, but they are so much better already...

14. SaratogaCA

SaratogaCA Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.

You write your own material, don't you? You may think about paying a script writer ... I'm just saying it would be a wiser career move!

15. Il Steeg

Il Steeg Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

It's that obvious, is it? Oh well, better not quit my day job...

Yet...

StuR likes this.
  16. docvb

docvb Rookie

Jun 6, 2010
    yup, 4 bolts, no wires. easy peasy.

btw, you can swap the seats L to R to even out wear. Only problem is the back seat release lever is wrong: the seat recline is a bit more difficult as well.