removing the water pump from a 330 | FerrariChat

removing the water pump from a 330

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by steve meltzer, Jun 18, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    I've got a small leak in my WP, and have started removing it from my '66 gtc. I have the impeller out, but the housing, tho' loose, won't slide off the studs. It looks like it's smacking into the oil filter housing, but it's tight in there and hard to be sure. Am I on the right track, or do I need to pull the oil filter housing off in order to get the pump out? thanx steve meltzer

2. dbcooper

dbcooper Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2005
    Costa Mesa,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Tim Romero
    STOP! DO NOT REMOVE THE HOUSING! The seal for the waterpump is underneath the impeller.if you remove the housing,the shaft will pull out of the sprocket, fall off of the timing chain and then the chances are that the motor will have to come apart to get it back on the chain.the seal presses against the back of the impeller.make sure the impeller is not grooved or scarred in anyway.you should be able to pull the old seal off of the shaft,but be careful not to pull the shaft out with the seal or else the sprocket for the timing chain will fall off of the shaft and then the nightmare begins.How do I know this?I once pulled the housing off of a 2-cam 275 and the sprocket fell off of the shaft.Only,I got lucky and the sprocket did not fall offf the chain and then into the Abyss\Timing cover.I got lucky.You might not be so lucky. Tim

3. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    OK, Kerry C. said the same thing, tho' it was couched more in terms of "it's not necessary" while yours was much more of a warning shot. THANK YOU SO MUCH!! It can be hard to rescue someone from their own stupidity! steve