Removing Tight Oil Pressure Sender, Any Tricks? | FerrariChat

Removing Tight Oil Pressure Sender, Any Tricks?

Discussion in '308/328' started by 308Dadoo, Oct 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    My oil pressure gauge has been showing some erratic behavior just recently so I decided to replace the oil sender unit. Followed an online video and got to the point after clearing stuff out of the way where I need put a wrench on the front of the sender and give it a turn. The sucker is on so tight I cant get it to budge without feeling like I'm going to damage something.
    Anyone have any tricks or experience removing the sender?

2. conan

conan Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2011
    Often it helps with a tight fit wrench to eliminate slipping. If it moves a little, some penetrant fluid could help.

If nothing works, I guess I would have opened the sensor to get access to the nut and used a socket wrench, maybe also removed the manifold to get a better grip of it to counterhold in a vice.

Heating it with an air blower.

Just some ideas.

Skickat från min SM-A320FL via Tapatalk

3. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    David, I made my own wrench just for the this sending unit but of course this only works if the sender is not stuck, but like you said if it won’t budge, the best thing is to remove the oil filter base, this way you can also put new gasket under the base.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "My oil pressure gauge has been showing some erratic behavior just recently so I decided to replace the oil sender unit."

Did y0u confirm it IS the sensor as opposed to a wiring connection/corrosion/bad ground? I wouldn't do any more work on trying to remove the sensor until you have confirmed it to be the problem.

moysiuan and thorn like this.
  5. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Good point ! I'll do some fidgeting around and look closer at the wiring.

6. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Thx Mike, I'll have to grind and bend one of my extra 17mm wrenches the same way and try that. I've ordered an extra long one on amazon to be able to get more leverage on the nut.

7. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Agreed. If it's like many gauges, just put the car to "on" (not running), short the wire to ground and see if you get a full sweep from 0-max. (Not completely sure about THIS sensor working that way, but there's a general theory.)

8. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    If the sensor is no good anyway just knock the brass colored stuff off and get access to the hex. But before doing that use some heat on the aluminum and wrench it off. Also a few sharp raps with a hammer on the hex helps too before you go at it. Getting a wrench on it then smacking the wrench with hammer can do it too. There are many ways to skin a cat. These were terrible sensors. I have even had new sensor not work well. Ferrari electronics...only better than Lucus.

sltillim likes this.
  9. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Ive tried everything else and am considering doing this. The unit will not budge and i bent a wrench and have more than enough torque on it.
    Does anyone know whats inside or what i will encounter should i cut into the steel sender housing?
    This has been very frustrating. I want to strangle the torque master!

10. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Hi Mike. I would but you cant get to the nut on the left side of the housing as the coolant tube is crossing right next to it and it doesnt seem go be movable.

11. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I do not know. I have never had that much problem getting one off. If the sender body is strong you can do what we do with stuck oil filters. Drive a stout screwdriver through the steel case since the sensor is a broke anyway. keep the wrench on it too then you got 2 sources of torque to lefty loosey rip that thing off. You can rip the case off and get to the hex. If you look at your new sensor you can see how the can is swagged onto the hex.

12. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    They can almost weld themselves on because the steel reacts with aluminum and corrodes. You can add in heat with propane torch and spray some WD40 and reapply heat. That soaks wd40 into the joint and comes off like magic. There are many ways to go at this.

Lawrence Coppari likes this.
  13. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Thx for the support and ideas! I feel like im getting sufficient torque on the thread its just that its probably dissimilar metals and corroded. If i try torquing the housing i think its going to to just spin as it is swaged around the nut. I’ d tear the sender off if i knew what was under the casing and had a good chance to get a clear shot at the the nut. Then i could use a 6pt socket and breaker bar to remove it. I have thoughts of cutting it out with a dremel and some cutting discs.

im cautious at this point because i can still reassemble everything and get it to a mechanic. Just seems silly because it should not be that tough to do.

14. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    I had one yrs ago that was damn near welded on. The engine was out on the bench, which made it alot easier.. Though after taking the housing off the block it would not budge loose. Propane torch, atf acetone and a vise along with a hammer wrench.. It finally came loose.
    The washer had rusted and corrosion welded it together. A real PITA!

I really hate the lack of clear access to that assy and part.

I'm trying to recall what the guts of the sensor looks like... I think it's got a base plate and capillary tube and resistance wiper...I think. It's been a long time since I saw one busted one open..

15. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Thx for the info! Would you venture a guess on the difficultly of cutting the guts off leaving just the nut ? Im looking at dremel rotary cutting wheels and if i have the room to get at it.

16. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Honestly, I don't know. At a certain point it'll come apart. How difficult will that be though....?

The only other option is to remove it from the block... But that can be a pain.

17. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Yes. Looked at removing the oil filter base from the block. Three bolts but only two accessible. One of them is blocked by the coolant tube right above it.
    Ill sleep on it and look at all angles again.

18. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Might be helpful to just spray a little PB blaster on the threads daily, then after a few days give it another go? If you’re exerting that much force trying to break it free, it would get really ugly if you ended up twisting the end of the sending unit off with threads still stuck in the aluminum block.

19. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Agree. Im trying to be patient with this. Im using Gibbs on it and will give it a few days while my extra long 17mm arrives. Like Mike, ill heat it snd bend it slightly to give me a good angle and adequate room to apply force. Did that with an autozone duralast wrench but i need longer.

20. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  21. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    cool thx Mike! I didnt think there was much structure in there and this helps

22. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If I remember correctly the cap is swaged on but the base and fitting are unified. So if you use large Channellock's on the outer base you will get more leverage. Try the wrench first of course because the pliers attack is heading down the road of no return. Also, if you were to remove the filter base set aside an entire weekend to get the old gasket cleaned off the block. Been there, done that.

23. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "it would get really ugly if you ended up twisting the end of the sending unit off with threads still stuck in the aluminum block."

ABSOLUTELY!!!! Be very careful here. The usual heat/penetrant methods will probably get it loose EVENTUALLY. Take your time. Also, try tightening the fitting. Yep, tighten it! Often a frozen/seized fitting will break loose easier if tightened. It only will require the slightest bit of movement. Don't apply any more torque than you are applying in the loosening direction but there's a fair chance that it will move. If it moves at all, that's enough. Then you can loosen it in stages if necessary: loosen a tiny bit/retighten/loosen more/retighten...etc etc. Good Luck!

As mentioned, the worst thing would be to shear the sending unit from the threads. Have you confirmed that the gauge/wiring/connections are OK?

tuttebenne likes this.
  24. s219

s219 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2021
    In these situations I have had luck taking advantage of time, heat, and a penetrating concoction. I learned the hard way to be patient. Heat, soak, wait a few hours, then apply torque in both directions. Keep repeating until you feel it move. These things can make the most evil sound when they eventually break loose. Also, if it breaks loose but binds up again before coming all the way out, stop and soak it, then wait a bit before coming back at it with the wrench.

thorn likes this.
  25. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    My favorite old school oil mix is 50:50 ATF & acetone. Liquid wrench is decent as well... Marvel mystery oil is another one.

Heat, oil... Wait.. try.. repeat as needed.