Renault F1 | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Renault F1

Discussion in 'F1' started by NEP, Apr 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    Actually with the Nissan purge of Carlos Ghosen (not sure if what the Japanese are saying is accurate about financial corruption), he kept both companies above water. Maybe this move to combine Renault and FCA (sounds like the new CEO and Elkann worked on it with vigor) is more a way to save Renault. Nissan isn't doing very well. Their US sales are down, Nissan platforms are aging, and their profits are also down. It also sounds like Nissan and Renault didn't always agree on stuff, just like Daimler and Chrysler didn't work. I guess its wait for more news.

2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Carlos Gohsn wanted more integration in the Renault-Nissan Alliance: the Japanese didn't like it. They plotted to overthrow him, to stop him, IMO.
    I don't think neither Renault or Nissan were at risk before that proposal came about. Year in, year out, they are generally steady in Europe and Asia..
    In fact, it's John Elkan, FCA, who made the offer of partnership, not the other way round, so he must be expecting something to save FCA.
    In Europe, FCA is declining for years, if not décades. The FIAT Group was rival to Volkswagen décades ago; look at it now !
    FIAT closed Lancia, Autobianchi, reduced their range and mostly build cars in Turkey now. Alfa won't be a big seller, nor Maserati.
    Concentrated in the hands of the Agnellis for so long, the Italian car industry took a real beating in the last 20 years.
    I see only JEEP being of any interest in Chrysler, but that doesn't sell much in Europe.
    So, it's difficult to see a bright future for that alliance. More brands may disappear.

3. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    But what they did do is make the company far more healthy, FCA is going to be debt free before long, and that's a real positive step. And to do that, you have to sacrifice something, expensive model renewals on a regular basis. The only car companies to do well in the EU market are the Germans, and that's allowed to happen because of the Euro. Marchionne said to suppliers a good 5 - 10 years ago (focused to the Germans) that if Germany was not in the Euro, their costs would be substantially higher and these suppliers would have far more competition. I've seen far more Alfa Giulia and Stelvios and Maseratis around lately.

4. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    I'm reading a rumour that Hulk might be replaced with Ocon next year...

"We have a two-year contract with Daniel," Abiteboul said at Paul Ricard, stating the Australian was certainly going nowhere.

"Nico's contract, the initial term is coming to an end at the end of this year but there is a mechanism of options so it's possible that we continue our journey with Nico."

5. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Please, please, not Ocon !!!!

daytona355 likes this.
  6. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    The Hulk may well be replaced by Ocon, Toto has said he would cut him loose completely if he went to Renault.

He is French,which is a big advantage to have in advertising etc etc.

7. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    By that token, I guess he has a chance, but would he leave the Mercedes backing to join a team that won’t spend proper money to achieve anywhere near the goals they claim they have?

Forza Ferrari..... the only racing team and car marque that matters. Italia forever It’s easier to apologise than it is to ask permission

jpalmito and Ferrari 308 GTB like this.
  8. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Good point , i guess any drive is better than nothing .even Williams.

daytona355 likes this.
  9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Where could that leave Hulkenberg?

10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Hummm, not sure.

We will have to ask Russell about that !

11. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    F Eeeeewwwwwww

12. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Possibly to Haas to replace Grosjean, back to Racing Point or just SOOL?
    There is a shortage of available seats in F1 at the moment. Of the twenty, two are toxic(Williams) and one is a legacy(Stroll, Racing Point). Ocon was bumped out to make room for Stroll. Like him or not Ocon deserves the seat on merit and Lance should be racing in some other series. F1 Musical Chairs.

13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

What I find strange about Ocon, is Toto Wolff's position about him.
    A year ago, Wolff was ready to farm out Mercedes protegé Ocon to Renault after he was pushed out of Force India.
    But now, Toto says that if Ocon goes to Renault, he would sever all link with Mercedes.
    I think Ocon is now a hot potatoe that Mercedes wants out of his book, since Bottas does a better job than last year.

According to Motorsport, Ocon and ... Alonso are hovering over the drivers market for 2020.
    There are many rumours, of course denied:
    - Hass about to sack Grosjean
    - Renault wanting Hulkenberg to leave (he is paid too much ?)
    - Gasly being replaced at RB at the end of the season, but who by? Kvyat? Albon? an outsider?
    - Lawrence Stroll recruiting Latifi to make an All Canadian Team.
    - Of course the Williams enigma
    - Not forgetting Vettel retiring ?

14. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    A press release from the Renault Group has named Cyril Abiteboul as one of the key people for their new 'business units' as they seek to promote their brands. Abiteboul is named as the man to lead the 'Alpine' brand,rumoured to be the new name for the #F1 team.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Gossip: Are Renault about to renamed?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Italian Grand Prix – The Renault F1 Team could be on the verge of being renamed for 2021, under a restructuring of the company’s brands.

Renault are rumoured to be set for a name change for the 2021 season, with owners Groupe Renault announcing a change of structure across their brand network.

On Thursday, Groupe Renault announced the formation of a new organisational structure with four ‘business units’ to be headed by individual directors.

There are four brands listed: Renault, Alpine, Dacia and Nouvelles Mobilites.

Current F1 boss Cyril Abiteboul was named as the leader responsible for the ‘creation, organisation and implementation’ of the Alpine business unit

New Renault CEO Luca de Meo is known to be a big motorsport fan, with great respect for Renault’s racing branch and heritage. He was present for the Spanish Grand Prix in Barcelona, just days before the team announced they have signed the new Concorde Agreement that will keep them in Formula 1 for the new contract period from 2021-2025.

“We must find our roots,” he explained in an interview with Le Point recently. “I am convinced that the soul of Renault is in its French roots. This brand has always been more creative than the others, it is in its culture. It must play modernity and innovation. Renault can embody the new wave of the automotive industry.”

“The Alpine brand has a very specific niche identity, very sporty, very French.”

Renault have recently relaunched the iconic A110 with an all new modern design, and there appears to be a push to re-establish the brand as a sporty and fun identity.

Alpine currently race in the World Endurance Championship’s LMP2 category, and it’s been rumoured that the Renault Group could be looking to re-align their Alpine brand alongside the ‘Renault Sport’ brand under which the F1 team races. Whether this will take the form of a mashing of the brands or a complete rename, we’ll just have to wait and see…

https://formulaspy.com/f1/gossip-are-renault-about-to-renamed-71006/amp?__twitter_impression=true

15. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Boy for a factory F1 team, Renault sure doesn't generate much news or discussion. And they are supplying two other teams as well, and all three teams are fighting for the top five positions. I have to confess that there is something wonderfully perverse about the French...and I love it. They started the turbo revolution and gave us some epic years. Maybe I'll start cheering for them until Ferrari finds its way out of the wilderness.

16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    n

As far as I know, Renault is only supplying McLaren, and only until the end of this season.

17. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Now official.

Boomhauer likes this.
  18. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    So teams history recap

Ferrari

McLaren

Tyrrell>BAR>Honda>BrawnGP>Mercedes

Williams

Toleman>Benetton>Renault>Lotus>Renault>Alpine

Minardi>Toro Rosso>Alpha Tauri

Jordan>Midland>Spyker>Force India>Racing Point>Aston Martin

Sauber>Alfa Romeo

Stewart>Jaguar>Red Bull

Haas

19. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Shouldn't it be

Ferrari>Fiat500 :oops:

greg328 likes this.
  20. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    I think you’ll find Ferrari<Fiat500

21. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Its also interesting that Renault was its own team from 1977 to 1985... so do you consider the Benetton to Renault part of that team? its cloudy.

375+ likes this.
  22. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  23. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    The only reason Fiat bought Chrysler is so they would have access to an American dealer network as they searched for a company to buy them out. Fiat, at least modern Fiat, is the biggest disaster of a car company I can think of. FCA might be debt free, but their pockets will also be empty. They have to payout so much money to the Agnelli family each year, that they have nothing left for product development. The saddest thing in the world is to go into an Alfa Dealership and meet salespeople who are clueless about the product. Their foreheads sweat while they smile and start handing out the discounts hand over fist. The truth is that they won't be here in two more years. They can't get rid of the new cars, and the lease returns are starting to stack up like cords of firewood.

The biggest joke of all would be if a French company bought them. They could reanimate old "Columbo" episodes and try turning them into commercials...but the French cars were a bigger failure here than the Italians.

william likes this.
  24. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    That much seems obvious.

As far back as I can remember, FIATs were no better than MGs, Triumphs, Healeys, SEATs in that the owner/driver had to be a weekend mechanic (every weekend) for the car to run every day. I could wonder what Hudsons were like, and a few other cars way before my time, too.

25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

In the days of MG, Triumph and Healey, almost any "owner/driver had to be a weekend mechanic" to some extent, regardless of the car they drove.
    That wasn't a bad thing either, and most folks had to care about their car, and know basic maintenance.
    Nowadays, people treat cars like domestic appliance and have absolutely no clue about them beyond the monthly repayment and the look.

greg328 likes this.