Rene Arnoux: What happened? | FerrariChat

Rene Arnoux: What happened?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Jack-the-lad, Feb 25, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    A member of another of my favorite forums posted a query there about the circumstances surrounding Arnoux's firing by the Scuderia at the beginning of the 1985 F1 season. A moderator gave a very coy response, and admonished posters to be "very careful" about what they say.

So, does anybody here have any perspective on this? What was the reason he was dropped from the team, and why would discussing it be such a delicate matter?

Thanks.

Jack

2. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    :confused: I have no idea! But I'd like to know as well. :) It was Arnoux's drive in 100+ deg Texas heat from the back of the grid to second place at the Dallas GP in 84 that made me want to race formula cars and most importantly become a tifosi.

3. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    I like Rene a lot.... one of the best pics I ever took is of Rene in the Ferrari, still on my website.

4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    When I interviewed mauro Forghieri in September I asked him the question since I had always been very curious about it...but he graciously skirted the issue.

My 2 cents is that it had to do with reprehensible activities of some sort...

The only time I spoke to Arnoux was about 3 seconds in the pits of the 333SP he drove at Le Mans 1995...let me amend that...drove in practice, since it was out after a few laps, so no chance to broach the subject...
    I thinl we will get at least a hint some years down the road.

5. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    +1, there must be some other reasons but the people that know must not be allowed to speak up.

6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Excusez moi?!

Prost, Pironi, Tambay, all three could have been world champions with just a few more points: review those seasons carefully.

7. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    Indeed, but I've always seen the Italians not having the best of relations with the French.

8. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    wikipedia is no help:
    Someone must know what happened?

9. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    This is what Nigel Roebuck (of Autosport and now Motorsport) said about Arnoux when asked the question:

10. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Excellent article. I wonder what really happened for him to be dismissed from Ferrari

11. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    "I do know why he was kicked out of Ferrari, but explaining it is very difficult, for a variety of reasons, some of which are delicate"

Whatever the delicacies were, I guess they surfaced in the meeting with Ferrari; is certainly like Ferrari not to tolerate a driver who would walk out on him.

I often watch the clip of Arnoux and Villenuve - my goodness, at that moment he was truly one of the best two in the world, and that is how I remember him.

12. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Rene is a freind and a great driver. He runs a very sucessfull business producing watch movements that are used by famous watch makers.

His battle with Senna will live forever.

It was fantastic having him track test P 4/5.

13. Anthony_Ferrari

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    Even more intriguing!

14. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    #14 Gilles27, Feb 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
  16. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    In a recent blog "Bords de pistes", Lionel Froissart, a respected French automobile journalist, appears to know the real reason, but will clearly not talk about it, although he says that, contrary to many rumors, René was NOT fired because of a hypothetical relationship with a Ferrari family female. :D

17. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    Very intriguing story! Didn't know about it, but very interesting that no one who knows the reason talks about it....

...maybe it was a relationship with a Ferrari family male? ;) :D

18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    "he took on what he saw as the essential accoutrements of the superstar"

Could the answer be in there...as in use of certain substances....?

19. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Eh, back then it was probably more likely to be cars, women, toys, etc. And tons of blow---KIDDING!

20. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    There is no question of Rene's desire for women.

21. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    It was a lot of fun watching him qualify those Renaults back in 1982.

22. Anthony_Ferrari

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    According to http://www.grandprix.com/gpe/rr406.html:
    There are some theories put forward here http://www.ten-tenths.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-66604.html and here http://forums.autosport.com/printthread.php?threadid=48736 but like everything else they seem to be unsubstantiated rumours. Basically they seem to think it was either drugs, women, or both. However they are the reasons that anyone would guess at if they had nothing else to go on. I think that unless Mr Arnoux or someone from the Ferrari hierarchy spill the beans we will never know - and nobody seems to have said anything in the last 20+ years so why would they now?

A true and amusing story about Rene at the 1981 Belgian Grand Prix. It is from Grand Prix International.:

23. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    If no one who knows anything would talk... I suspect "personal reasons" relating to either A) Enzo Ferrari himself or B) R.A. and not team politics.

I suspect it's A) due to the fact that no one wants to disclose reasons semingly not wanting to upset Ferrari, I mean who would care about upsetting Arnoux except a few friends?

24. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    Let this be a lesson for those of you that think Massa has an ironclad 3-year contract...

25. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I guess the subject was just too scary for my mates over at Atlas F1

http://forums.autosport.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=99692#newpost Thread locked.

Jack