Renting a Lambo in Italy? | FerrariChat

Renting a Lambo in Italy?

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by kmeighannj, Aug 8, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kmeighannj

kmeighannj Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 21, 2006
    Bedminster, NJ
    Full Name:
    Kirk M
    Planning a 2 week 30th wedding anniversary trip to Italy for April 2013. Anyplace to rent a Lambo or Ferrari while I am there? Or do any of the regular car rental companies rent interesting stuff? One thing I have seen is that Hertz will rent a Lotus Evora -- that could be fun. Would ideally pick up in Rome and drop in Milan.

Could ship the blu Tahiti car over. Anyone know what that would cost?

Also interested in fun stuff to do . I appreciate everyone's thoughts.

Kirk

2. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    better ship yours here, trust me. ciao

3. Jasperlambo

Jasperlambo Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Jasper
    Opposite the factory is the Bull Bar.

They do rent Lamborghini's !

If you talk to them I would appreciate if you mention my name :)

Look in the 50th anniversary thread and you might want to change your dates a little....

4. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    #4 Peter K., Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
    Kirk,
    Nice to see you're going back. I remember your 25th trip around the time of the Urraco.

Over in the 50th thread I asked the same question about shipping my car.
    In a nut shell, 2500-3000 by boat BUT about 5 or 6 weeks each way. Too long for me to not have control of my car. Then about 10k+ by air and much quicker. (not important enough to spend that kind of money)
    I did not ask if the 3-4k is each way, I assume yes. Same for air.
    Fortunatley, being in the state where they leave from would save you more money than if you were mid west/west coast. Gotta get to the port!

5. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Just a personal opinion but I wouldn't ship my cars over there. Think of all the crap that could happen (on the way over, coming back and while you're there) and think about getting it resolved in a foreign country. OMG :eek:

6. kmeighannj

kmeighannj Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 21, 2006
    Bedminster, NJ
    Full Name:
    Kirk M
    Yes, I would not want my car out of my control for that long but also would not want to pay that much for air -- that will buy a lot of fantastic meals in Italy! I don't have the flexibility to change the date to the 50th anniversary celebration either, unfortunately -- I had checked into that. I'll look around at renting -- at least something interesting. When we were there last time, I had an Alfa Brera -- not a Lambo, but was fun to drive something we can't get in the US.

7. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    You can ask mr. Fabio Lamborghini, Ferruccio's nephew. He can rent Lambo cars at interesting price (or even a Ferrari 430 cabrio), but if you want the car for two weeks i think it's more expensive than to ship your one, but i do not know the rent fares for long time so better ask him: mail to [email protected]

shipping and coming back by sea is more or less 8 k USD (it depends on how much you are far from the port), you can ask to mr. Daniele Meazzi, Trasmec S.p.A., they have offices here in Modena and in Milano too, they have USA corrispondant in Miami, Fl. They do not damage anything, car is sealed in a container, they shipped mine with no problems. Mail to [email protected]

PM me if you want some help

ciao

8. BANANA

BANANA Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2007
    Contact [email protected] if you haven't done so yet. He owns a company that organises driving holidays in Italy, Switzerland and the Cote D'Azur. He can get discounts for exotic car rentals.

I am in no way affiliated with gt-lux.com. I got to know Greg from one of the many car forums and I can vouch that he is a great and honest person who is also a Lambo owner and will bend over backwards to help people.

P.S: Do mention me if you contact him.

Regards

9. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    #9 italiancars, Aug 9, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
    This happens every time there is some type of big anniversary event in Europe. Owners in the US think it would be a great to have their cars shipped over to Europe for the event (and it would be).

Then unfortunately reality rears its ugly head, and it usually ends up the same. First it is the cost of shipping, by air or by water? If you can somehow justify to yourself that the shipping cost is worth it, the insurance cost of driving your Lamborghini/Ferrari/Maserati or whatever for a two period in Europe is what usually ends the thoughts of the average owner doing it.

10. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    Just to say I rented from Fabio Lamborghini is so cool inside itself!
    And, very comforting to know my car would be home, all snug as bug in rug...while I'm galavanting :)

11. SFchallenge

SFchallenge F1 World Champ

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
    I've shipped my Ferrari from Malaysia to Genova, Italy for Mille Miglia last year. You need a very good agent there who can handle your car including driving it out of the port otherwise you'll need to do it yourself! Best if you speak Italian or if they do good English. Then there's the return trip, you need to hand the car back to the agent/garage/port on weekdays & office hours only or you'll miss your flight!

For air freight, all fluids must be emptied. Car must be dry to be loaded so it has to be towed to a workshop to be refilled again once it touches down 1-3 days after leaving home.

Make sure you get a "Carnet du Passage" as well for customs clearance so that you can drive around Europe & insurance is quite cheap if you get 3rd party. Few hundred Euros that's all for a month.

If you can find a local place to rent, it'll make your life much easier.

12. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    Jeffs friend with the red car FedExed his 400S over from France. I think it was bought from the original owner. They scratched it (maybe even a small dent). In the end they had to pay to repaint the whole car!

13. Bart.24

Bart.24 Rookie

Jul 17, 2013
    #13 Bart.24, Jul 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2013
    Hello everyone,

I would advise to look at kingrent.com (is a luxury car hire agency supplying cars mainly in Italy, Switzerland, France and Germany) they own most of the cars they rent, and from my experience they provide an excellent service: I rented a Ferrari California in Tuscany and not only the car was perfect, I was also advised for the good places to visit in the area from the driver that delivered the car in our hotel!

14. kamienZen

kamienZen Rookie

Apr 2, 2016
  15. GerhardS

GerhardS Rookie

Apr 6, 2017
    for sports car like ferrari, lambo you can use https://lurento.com some rates are great and some very expensive but it's marketplace, so you get all available cars in one place with the details and photos