Replace broken boot (outer CV) on 348 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Replace broken boot (outer CV) on 348

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by gredinger, Sep 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gredinger

gredinger Karting

Feb 19, 2004
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter Gredinger
    Hmm strange, I got the price of the boot from a Ferrari mechanics repair shop.
    And it was just the boot (even if it was expensive).
    Here is a picture of how my car looks (-93).

Can you please show us a picture of the boots you bought or even better the end diameters so I can compare with my boot (outer)?
    Can you ask your friend if they are some kind of standard boots (I do not want to pay the Ferrari price...)

Peter

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Hey Pete

That axle in the diagram is of the one that you have to buy the whole thing. If the boot on the out side, or maybe it's the inside, anyway (were the #7 is) needs to be replaced then you are okay. If the other one (were the #8 is) goes bad then you are screwed. My car has the axle with allen bolts holding it in plce on both sides. I'll ask my friend about the boots.

3. gredinger

gredinger Karting

Feb 19, 2004
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter Gredinger
    Arghhhh, it is the other one (where the 8 is).
    Still Ferrari wanted to sell me that boot (and they checked the correct model, since I had to give them the assy-number etc.).
    Strange...
    Anyway, I have made an ugly fix so that I can use the car another month (then it is time for the winter rest), then I will remove the axle and take a closer look.
    If I can find a split boot that fits I guess that would solve the problem.

4. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I know this sounds like a smart arse comment, but there is no way on this planet I would pay out $1500 if the only problem was a split boot !!
    One way or another it WOULD get changed. I wonder what Ferrari do with the one's they have taken off, reconditioned ? or scapped.
    Some time ago I came across a guy in London who re manufactured just about anything car related, and not at Ferrari prices ! Unfortunately lost his number..

5. gredinger

gredinger Karting

Feb 19, 2004
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter Gredinger
    I fully agree!
    I will update this thread in a month or so when I have removed the axle.
    Since Ferrari sells an outer boot ($250) it should (must!?) be possible to replace it?!

6. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Ferrari uses LOBRO CV joints, supplier to VW, Audi and Porsche amoung others. Just take your boot to a reputable import car parts store that serves the trade, one preferably specializing in the fore-mentioned brands, and get the most senior person to match it up. They will have catalogs with the dimensions of all the boots available.

Once I had a CV joint go bad in the front to back driveshaft on an Audi Quattro. The dealer played the "only available as an assembly for $800 (1987 prices)" game. I took it to a parts house and they matched it up. I spent $30 on a part that was used on dozens of other cars.