Replace my 458 with a 488? | FerrariChat

Replace my 458 with a 488?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by CAW, Aug 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CAW

CAW Karting

Feb 5, 2016
    Huntsville Alabama
    Full Name:
    Craig Wiggins
    I've got a 458 Spider and I am thinking about buying a 488 spider. I have read a lot of reviews about the turbo and how this car doesn't sound as good, that the 458 with a NA motor is the last "real" Ferrari, etc.

For those that have made the switch, what are your thoughts?

2. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Hundreds of postings on this very topic. Use the search function and your head will be spinning.

Natkingcolebasket69 and CAW like this.
  3. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Turn back now...

Dave rocks likes this.
  4. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    I'd do immediately ;)

Napoli likes this.
  5. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    488 is amazing. You really get into its personality and it has miles more pace and better handling. If you like the looks the only arguably weaker area is the sound and a little bit of linearity in throttle response but hardly noticeable. As for the sound, the 488 still sounds great, especially in Spider form. I doubt you will regret it.

stavura and Viperjoe like this.
  6. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    You should drive both... i went with the 458 spider as opposed to the 488 coupe essentially same price range ... the sound and looks and na engine did it for me... I am in no need to go with a faster car... if I want something faster there are a lot faster cars out there than the 488 so no need to upgrade one step up... but don’t take my word for it drive both.

xfrgtr and LVP488 like this.
  7. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#7 Cigarzman, Aug 2, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    As stated above , drive both and decide. I decided on the 488 spider because I really liked the torque , new body style and a bumper to bumper 3 year warranty. In addition to those things I’ve always wanted to spec out my own car . It was my 60th bday present to myself. I had my 458 spider for three years and loved it. That said I think the 488 is a blast to drive and for the price difference after ~ 3 months of ownership I am very pleased.
    Best, Kirk.
    Ps. If you do buy the 488 , have the vacuum lines pulled for better sound at low speeds.

Shadowfax, stavura, MANDALAY and 2 others like this.
  8. LandandcarsAZ

LandandcarsAZ Karting

Jun 14, 2018
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Robert
    488 100% of the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LVP488, Viperjoe and Napoli like this.
  9. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Yes!

Viperjoe likes this.
  10. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    If you value noise and NA engine - 458, if you value torque and power -488.
    Apart from the engines, 458 and 488 are very similar.

stavura and Caeruleus11 like this.
  11. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    Actually I find the 488 much more comfortable compared to 458. It could be better as DD.
    100% agree on sound ;)

12. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Awesome dilemma to have! Congrats!
    Sort of like having to pick between two amazing women: The hot blonde who can’t cook and the hot brunette who can’t do any math!

13. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Fortunately I like to cook, know how to order at a restaurant and am very good with math and money!

14. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Like anything else sound is subjective. I can tell you for a fact the 488 is a more refined and evolved car than the 458. It is much faster, in any gear, in any situation. The suspension is even better sorted out and thus, can be more comfortable and also still handle really well. And you would never feel any turbo lag. At least I can't feel any. Not that I really go looking for it, because I can't really feel it . And the 488 spider is supposed to be stiffer than the 458 spider due to improved structural bracing. So all of that is in the 488's favor. The 488 is a fantastic looking car also. All of that said, my heart stays with the 458. It is prettier than the 488, the 488 more aggressive, both great looking, but different. I find the sound to be more of what I appreciate in a Ferrari, and while the feeling of power and speed is important to me, its not the most critical thing. For me, the 458 feels alive. The 488 not as much- its there, but you have to go looking for it. This isn't a knock on the 488, its just a different car where the engineers have made different choices. The 488 would likely be an easier car to live with in daily life. Each will appeal to different people. I'm lucky to be able to enjoy both.

obbob, xfrgtr, stavura and 3 others like this.
  15. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Well spoken ! :D

16. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Thanks, maybe I should have not said the 488 would be a lot easier- it would be easier to live with in daily life. Saying a lot is probably too much. The thing is Ferrari has some amazing engineers. The first time I drove the 458, I thought, oh no, they've made it too soft. But then you drive it some more and realize they just made it so much better. The same thing is true for the 488. Drive it gently for 5 minutes and you will think its gone "too GT"- but go out and really drive and you'll discover its an amazing car in its own right.

Melvok and of2worlds like this.
  17. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The important thing is to remember that they are vastly different cars. The 458 is a truely amazing car and has a wonderful sound. The 488 was a rough transition for me - and definitely made me miss my 458 a lot - but it's steadily growing on me. The handling has started to improve with miles. My girlfriend actually really loves the 488, especially the brutal accelarion when boost kicks in.

The sound is an issue for me, but mainly only between 3000-4500 RPM's. I'm working to address that by changing / modifying the exhaust system on my car.

Both cars have nice lines for sure.

It's a really tough comparison, but I think the 458 Italia is still the high water mark for me as far as overall Ferrari enjoyment goes. The 488 is no slouch however, especially once you get used to it and realize it's different than the 458. I think if some sort of changes with the exhaust system can mitigate the drone issue on the 488, then I think an argument could be made that the 458 and 488 are both equally great cars - simply different in the fact that one is N/A while the other is twin turbocharged.

If enjoying the exhaust note, as well as the ability to silence the car using sport mode is a major part of what you enjoy about driving your 458, then I think you'd be very wise to test drive a 488. The sound isn't nearly as pleasing on the ears as the 458, that's for certain. The rest is mainly subjective.

Ray

Melvok, Viperjoe and Caeruleus11 like this.
  18. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Very well said and on point: the 458 lines are flowing and sexy; the driving/sound enjoyment is constant. The 488 looks more brutal visually, but as you say, you sort of have to wring its neck to extract your enjoyment.

Ray

Viperjoe and Caeruleus11 like this.
  19. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    +1

I found I enjoyed the handling of the 458 most in sport mode, but with the 488 it's the opposite - I enjoy the 488 far more in either race or CT OFF (although in CT OFF mode you definitely have to be on your toes and careful when the turbos spool up, because the backend can step out under power even when going straight).

Ray

Viperjoe and Caeruleus11 like this.
  20. chris5150

chris5150 Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2009
    I have to differ , I find the 488 sounds far better than the 458, much prefer it. In fact the 488 is just far superior on every level to the 458, I really don’t understand anyone preferring the 458. And yes I have owned both, also have had a speciale and agiain the 488 spider to me sounds better , goes better and is overall far better quality
    Had a 488 gtb and that was ok , but the 488 spider is far better, sounds much better... 488 spider is the best Ferrari I have owned on all levels

Viperjoe, stavura, Shadowfax and 2 others like this.
  21. woody byrd

woody byrd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd
    Noticeable difference between 488 and 458
    I have had both cars in both coupe and spider. I just moved backward from the 488 and find the difference much more noticeable than moving to newer.
    Within the first 30 minutes it was clear to me the 458 had MUCH more cowel shake, the Suspension was stiffer (but still excellent), and of course the engine sound is Supreme in the 458 and the Power is Supreme in the 488. I just ordered a 812, and selling my 488 and bought the 458 because it is almost as good a car, and $100,000 less.

22. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I have owned both. I had the dealer disconnect the valves for the exhaust and find the sound to be very good and enough. I really enjoyed owning the 458 but did not drive it much, 2000 miles in 2 years. I have 900 miles on my 488 so far and really enjoy it. The extra power is tantalizing, the ride is very good even is Race with the shock setting activated. There is no turbo lag that I ever have felt. I really like the body enhancement's of the 488 but some don't. Like others have said, drive both and then decide. I have never regretted my decision.

Caeruleus11 and Cigarzman like this.
  23. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#23 Cigarzman, Aug 5, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    I agree with this exactly, except the part only putting 2000 miles on the 458 in two years. I did 10,000 in mine in two years. In the 488 spider after 3 months 1600 miles. So DJS , get to driving bro. :)

Viperjoe, stavura and Melvok like this.
  24. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I'm not saying some people don't like the sound of the 488 exhaust. Just last week I gave my father a ride over to Costco in the 488. He commented on how good it sounded and added, "I bet this is the first time anyone has ever been driven to Costco in a $300,000 automobile to get their hearing aid batteries changed for free!".

I'm looking into ordering an 812 also.

Ray

Caeruleus11 and Melvok like this.
  25. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I am with you Kirk, having driven 20.000 kms in 2 seasons now … DRIVE THE BEASTS :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login