430 - Replaced radio on F430 spider | FerrariChat

430 Replaced radio on F430 spider

Discussion in '360/430' started by richard.wyke, Aug 31, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. richard.wyke

richard.wyke Rookie

Jun 25, 2022
    I just replaced the awful factory becker unit on my F430 spider and couldn't find any information on it beforehand so thought i'd share now

The unit is a VDO Continental TR7412UB (https://www.amazon.com/VDO-Continental-TR7412UB-European-Bluetooth/dp/B08D2R48HZ) - swapping it out took literally 2 minutes, has the identical harness to the factory unit so was plug and play, the sound is great, and physically super high quality and OEM look - 2 minutes later i've got aux-in / bluetooth streaming & phone - feels like i'm cheating, what have i missed?!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

f355spider, Atlantic, Flea7 and 4 others like this.
  2. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    What year model is your 430?

3. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
  4. Marcoboxer

Marcoboxer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2019
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Mark Roberts
    Looks great, it may be time to finally swap the OEM one out on mine. I’m torn between something that looks period (like this) and something like the Joying. I’m probably over thinking it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Is the mic internal to the unit?

PKIM likes this.
  6. richard.wyke

richard.wyke Rookie

Jun 25, 2022
    It is yes - and the sound quality is surprisingly good, comes in the box with an external mic that you can route to the interior but don't think i'll use it now - internal mic good enough

7. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nice going. I may pull the trigger on this one

8. swc5150

swc5150 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2021
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Scott Calderwood
    I put the same radio in my 430. Looks like it belongs there vs other options out there, and the install literally takes just a couple of minutes.

9. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I'm not crazy about the Orange display but I can live with it. Did you change speakers?

10. richard.wyke

richard.wyke Rookie

Jun 25, 2022
    I haven't yet but i might in the future - it definitely sounds better with the new radio, but I suspect the old speakers are the weak link now

11. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Dude, thanks for posting. Hope it is equally plug and play on a scud. If it is it will be my next purchase. It looks like it belongs. Absolutely detest the becker unit. Most unintuitive radio I’ve ever encountered.

12. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    I've been trying to find a OEM replacement with modern tech, thanks for this! Like it was mentioned, the orange backlighting, even though a little understated, is the only issue with this one. I was even considering ordering it and taking the front panel apart and changing the backlighting. Then I found the white one. Since I've upgraded the backlighting in my car to the whitish/bluish of the CS, we'll see how that works. May even invert the LCD as well. Guess I'll find out this week....

13. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

There's also a blue one. They are also available with a cd player. Same style but has slot for cd. Im definitely getting one im just not sure which one. I thought a saw a yellow one as well on Google searching but haven't seen one for sale. Unless it was the orange one with a glare or something.

14. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Saw the blue one too. Personally, I think the blue one would be too blue for me. So far this is the only one that looks halfway decent as far as period correct/OEM style with the modern features. I put the 6112 Navi out of a 599 in my 360 just to update it from the Kraco looking OEM Becker, but that one is even more of a PITA to deal with than the original one.

15. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I'll most likely go for the orange lighting one. Just not sure of cd player or not.

16. Marcoboxer

Marcoboxer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2019
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Mark Roberts
    What the heck is a CD? ;)

17. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Yea I know what you mean but I have some music that I'd never be able to find thru Amazon or Spotify

18. richard.wyke

richard.wyke Rookie

Jun 25, 2022
    jerbear27 and LorenzoR like this.
  19. MelloF430

MelloF430 Rookie

Dec 13, 2017
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mello
    Just installed the non cd version, TR7412UB-OR. Huge improvement from the original and plays Spotify. Interesting how it handles WAZE - when the WAZE screen is visible on the phone the NAV sound plays through the phones speaker - if WAZE is on but not visible on the phone the NAV sound plays through the radio speakers.
    The photo shows a pretty good representation of the orange color - while different it still looks factory to me. The dashboard on the F430 is a hodgepodge of colors anyway. Would definitely buy again.

Mario Andretti and richard.wyke like this.
  20. richard.wyke

richard.wyke Rookie

Jun 25, 2022
    that looks really great!

I just did a big 600km trip in the car over the weekend (amazing) and having waze on over bluetooth with the nav guidance and podcasts on was so good - also especially the waze speed notifications through the speakers was super useful...

...although not foolproof

tomw likes this.
  21. MelloF430

MelloF430 Rookie

Dec 13, 2017
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mello
    Definitely not foolproof! :(

22. 993man

993man Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2009
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Graham
    This is the best option I have seen for the 430. I replaced the OEM unit with an Alpine and it just doesn't look right.
    I'm buying this today.
    Awesome find!

23. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    The tiny prancing horse is a plus

24. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    I am buying it too, thanks all for pics and info. Looks great!