360 - Replaced transmission mount. Still a bit clunky, do I need new motor mounts? | FerrariChat

360 Replaced transmission mount. Still a bit clunky, do I need new motor mounts?

Discussion in '360/430' started by TuttoBene, Aug 29, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TuttoBene

TuttoBene Karting

Sep 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I just recently DIY'ed the transmission mount on my 360 F1. The symptoms were clunking when releasing the gas. At fist it only happened at low gears but then it got bad enough that it happened at every gear and I felt the double clunk through the seats. When I pulled the old bushing out, it had a big crack and there were bits of rubber underneath which I think was a nice clue. It took me over 10 hours but I managed to do it and the car drives much, much better.

However, it's still a bit clunky. Nothing terrible, but I can feel the engine bouncing around a bit when I release the pedal in first gear. The motor mounts are only 4 years old according to the service records and they do look to be in great condition. I am wondering if driving around with a bad transmission mount made them worn out sooner, however. While they look great, this is the only 360 I've ever driven and have no idea how one with new motor mounts should feel. Is a 360 still a bit clunky at low gears even with new motor mounts? Should I still feel the motor moving around when quickly releasing the gas in 1st or 2nd gear?

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Check the arm link on the bottom of transmission..check the bushings on the arm ... Items 2,40 and 48 on parts diagram of gearbox covers .

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

3. TuttoBene

TuttoBene Karting

Sep 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Thanks for the tip, I'll put it on the lift this weekend and check those out.

4. TuttoBene

TuttoBene Karting

Sep 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I disconnected the bracket that the diagram calls the "small link" which connects the gearbox to the frame. Both bushings look fine to me and feel pretty strong. However, I think that the bolt wore into the frame and now it just slides back and forth. If someone can confirm that this should be a round hole and not a slot that could help me determine next steps. I'll post a photo.

5. TuttoBene

TuttoBene Karting

Sep 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Doug
    No difference since repairing that hole, so I swapped the motor mounts. It looks like tightening the motors mounts is a 2 person job so the car is stuck on the lift until I can find a volunteers. If anyone did this by themselves, please share your method! I'm hoping the bounce will be fixed by the motor mounts. The old ones don't look to be in bad condition, but compared to the new ones they appear very squished.

6. TuttoBene

TuttoBene Karting

Sep 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Doug
  7. TuttoBene

TuttoBene Karting

Sep 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Doug
    For completion's sake, the new motor mounts improved the situation, but it's still "rubbery" in its feel if I suddenly lift off the gas in 1st or 2nd. I think that's just how these are. I would need to drive another 360 to know for sure.