Replacement rear plastic screen in 430 | FerrariChat

Replacement rear plastic screen in 430

Discussion in '360/430' started by tonyl8281, Nov 3, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tonyl8281

tonyl8281 Karting

Jul 1, 2014
    Hi,

Is it possible to ‘easily’ replace the plastic clear rear view screen in the hood onof 430 Spider. Mine has become pretty scratched and could benefit from a replacement without incurring major expense if possible. Any ideas please?

2. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    I don't believe there's any 'easy' removal process. Have you tried buffing the scratches out by using a premium plastic scratch remover such as Meguiar's Plast-X. Even tooth paste does a decent job removing scratches. Then protect it using Klasse High Gloss Sealant.

3. tonyl8281

tonyl8281 Karting

Jul 1, 2014
    Thanks that’s really helpful. I’ve gone on line and found some pastes that are apparently specifically formulated to do this job. I’ll post a note with how I get on with it.

4. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Stop by a reputable shop that does this work and ask them. I would like to replace mine as well.

5. tonyl8281

tonyl8281 Karting

Jul 1, 2014
    The next scheduled service is in the spring so I will have a chat with the technicians when I take it in. I’ll let you know what they say.

6. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I would not go through the dealer. They will out source that job. And of course you will pay extra. Ask around and find a place on your own.

7. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The rear plastic window is a separate part from the top. It just zips into the top. If you peel back the top you can see the edge of the zipper. The problem is that the cost of the window (part#66374900) is $1,335 from Ricambi, more from the dealer. It is also not that easy a job to zip it in. Most upholstery shops can sew in a new plastic window for less than the cost of the replacement Ferrari part.

8. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    If you are referring to the rear plastic clear film attached to the capote roof, yes, most of ours could use a new screen.
    But as Motob have mentioned Ferrari wants a lot of money for it. $1,300.00+

One option I learned is buying a sheet of Lamin X clear plastic headlight film.
    I have the Lamin X on my headlights and not only it protects my headlight lens but it also made the headlight lens look brand new.

I think we can buy a sheet of lamin X, cut the rear plastic film on the roof and leave about 1" on the outer edge, then apply the Lamin X film over it.
    The lamin X is a better material, the edges should not be that visible and it should work good for a long time. An inexpensive option.

Just my 2 cents worth. You can google Lamin X headlight film. They sell precut generic pieces.

Dan

9. TAILWAG

TAILWAG Karting

Apr 8, 2007
    OP/Olathe
    Full Name:
    Angel
    I used a plastic buffer/cleaner and it worked like a charm. When I bought mine it had some pretty deep scratches and was scuffed pretty badly. I spent a good 10-15 minutes cleaning it and buffing it and it came out great. It looked brand spanking new. The only problem that I had was that the side windows were tinted and now, it was extremely obvious that the rear window was not and it stuck out like a sore thumb...even worse than before. LOL.
    I cut a piece of window clinger in 20% to match the side windows and applied it to the outside using just water to help adhere. Once you squeegee the water out and you let it dry, it bonds pretty good. you can tuck the excess under the "lip" that the convertible cover has over the plastic piece.
    This clinger will help the plastic from rubbing against each other every time you close and open the top.
    If you don't have tinted windows, you can get transparent clinger material, which will prevent these scratches and scuffing.

10. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I don't think it's that simple. It is also sealed in and there are 2 wires to which current must be applied to "soften" the sealant so that the screen can be removed.

You should be able to polish it to nearly new.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

11. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Motob is correct. It's zipped in on my '03 360 Spider. The sealed in version is probably from earlier years.

Giuzippy and whatheheck like this.
  12. Bigilo

Bigilo Karting

Sep 28, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    whatheheck likes this.
  13. MAXF430

MAXF430 Karting

Nov 16, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joey
    Hi Tailwag, do you remember which plastic buffer/cleaner you used? I’m going to give that a try on mine. Thanks!

14. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    go on a detail site you will find many options or even a boat supply store.. boats have tons of plastic on their canopy's...

15. TAILWAG

TAILWAG Karting

Apr 8, 2007
    OP/Olathe
    Full Name:
    Angel
    I don't top of my head - it was a $ 10 bottle I found at O'Reilly's. I am out of the country - can look when I get back home and shoot you a message.

16. MAXF430

MAXF430 Karting

Nov 16, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joey
    Sounds good, Thank you and safe travels.

17. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Yes, the window has a sealant strip that basically sticks it to the top material to keep it sealed from rain and make it look better. You just have to warm it with a heat gun and carefully detach the sealant from the top with a smooth plastic tool. The new window comes with the sealant on it that you peel off a backing and stick to the top after zipping it in.

18. Fort Worth 360

Fort Worth 360 Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2008
    Fort worth Texas
    New window ? Where do I find that?

19. houtie123

houtie123 Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2007
    Cape Town, RSA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Post 7