Replacing 308/328 Timing(Cam Belt) Drive Bearings | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Replacing 308/328 Timing(Cam Belt) Drive Bearings

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jwise, Aug 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Nah, a case of beer is more like it!

Congrats on part II being finished. Keep us posted as the noise decreases as I am sure it will go away soon.

2. jwise

jwise Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2003
    Portland Maine
    #102 jwise, Nov 30, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    She made it home (120 miles) with no problems.

With the air temp being about 0 C- she never got up to operating temperature. She ran about 70 C for the coolant and 85 C for the oil.

By the time I got home, the sound was almost gone.

I drove the car to work today and on start-up, the noise was coming and going- not constant like before. By the time I got to work (about 10 miles highway) the noise was decreased again. Hmmm, I guess some miles couldn't hurt.

Here are some photos of her leaving Verell's house, crossing into Maine, and pulling back into her rightful space.

Also- a snap of the muffler we installed. I bought it on Ebay for $200 including shipping. A good deal and is the stock muffler for my car.

More later,
    JW
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Now I know why John didn't want me to buy champagne, on departure day he & his wife arrived with a very nice bottle of Italian champagne.

After a champagne toast & goodbys, they departed. John's 1st picture is John heading up my long driveway on his way home at last!!!

4. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Hey John,
    Whose is the third 308 in that first pic? (I recognize Verell's QV on the right and yours going up the driveway.)

Birdman

5. mondial86

mondial86 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    David Holmes
    I think I got second gear rubber on that driveway last summer
    Wishing you luck ...and good job great story to fallow
    david

6. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Rex was giving his 308 with the Norton electronic distributor upgrade a test drive. He dropped by just as John was about to leave

7. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    What is a norton electronic distributor? Is it like the electromotive?

8. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Birdman, I think Verell meant to say "Norwood" electronic distibutor. Rex purchsed the Norwood kit for his 308. Regards, John.

9. Mondialmike

Mondialmike Karting

Mar 12, 2005
    London
    Full Name:
    Mike Hunnisett
    Great article! Jwise, what car lift do you have fitted in your garage? Looks like a short version of a twin-post.

Thnx, Mike

10. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    John isn't lucky enough to own a lift yet. We did the work in my garage. That's a german NussBaum 7,000lb Assymetric clear-floor lift.

It's about 15 years old at this point. I bought it used in '99 from a garage eqpt. supply co. They'd taken 4 of them in trade for new lifts & I got to pick from the 4.

I have a 10' ceiling. Had to pursuade my wife to let me poke one of the posts up thru the ceiling & about 18" into the floor of a closet. Built a nice wooden box around it so it wouldn't get the clothes greasy ;)