Replacing cats: straight pipes or resonators? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Replacing cats: straight pipes or resonators?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Jim Riggs, Mar 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Jerry -- eeeewwwwww! You're welcome, I guess ;) -- sounds like Daddy needs to get a 587/90 TR SPC (have your significant other send me a PM and I'll give her some sources). But I am gonna have to cyber-slap you around a bit because F included a really first-rate illustration of the US TR exhaust system in the OM on page 73 -- perhaps you could review? ;)

With regard to the "loudness" -- my take is that they way overdid the sound/vibration insulation in the TR cabin, so if you're happy with your 308 system (and it's got headers+nothing+Tubi), then I don't think the TR would be that much worse in the same configuration (for the occupants -- not for the outside observers). Still, I'd characterize it as "loud" on my scale.

PS I forgot to add that you should consider getting 4 of the 110860 "CO Plugs" (and 12x17x1.5 Cu Washers) so that you can remove/preserve the exhaust gas sampling tubes.

gabriel -- I got my set of pre-cat bypass pipes from T. Rutlands (but they weren't cheap). Mine are the shorter ones (142166 and 142167) that only replace the pre-cats (and are used on the "CAT" TR version).

Why are you removing the air pump? The air injection system on a TR so benign that there's really no warm-running effect/penalty. If you're keeping the regular cats on the car, they'll suffer some without it (since you're not also reducing the fuel delivered during cold-running).

2. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Thanks Steve. Actually I sold my 308, and my TR (and it's OM) are not here yet.

3. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

>Why are you removing the air pump? The air injection system on a TR so benign that there's really no warm-running effect/penalty. If you're keeping the regular cats on the car, they'll suffer some without it (since you're not also reducing the fuel delivered during cold-running).

I was replacing the fuel pumps when I noticed that the clutch mechanism in the pump was shot. Kinda explains the intermittent "slow down" light, I suppose.
    It wobbles and the belt is gone. Figure that I'll just remove the cats & precats. I'll get the pump repaired/replaced and keep it with the other original parts in case I sell her.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    gabriel -- Understood -- less of an issue if you're completely cat-less.

Jerry -- You can't download the US TR OM from the Owners Site?

5. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    I'm sorry Steve, I didn't realize that that illustration was in there. Sorry to inconvenience you. Have a great day.