Replacing Coolant Temp Sensors | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Replacing Coolant Temp Sensors

Discussion in '348/355' started by 3forty8, Jan 26, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Great! That's all you need then to just check any random connector. That's all you need then. Reading comprehension was not my thing...I'm a math guy. Very discreet and stock looking.

I vote for this in the advertisments: The "Helms Sleeper Harness" adds 30hp!

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Man did this thing turn in to a thread hyjack or what?

3. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    I have read about this cold start rough idle problem happening to even the 360/F430/CS guys .............. some have taken it to the dealer and got the 'nothing we can do about it' answer. Some started doing this after only a few months from new purchase :eek: ....................... so I guess one doesn't have to wait long for this to happen ......... :(

From the 360/430 section:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154676&highlight=rough+idle

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125179&highlight=rough+idle

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114487&highlight=rough+idle

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42872&highlight=rough+idle

There were a lot more but you get the idea ............. ;)

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #54 f355spider, Jan 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
    Seen them, and heard there were various software updates that may or may not correct it on the 360's and 430's. It is very possible, (but I cannot say with certainty) that they are experiencing a problem with the Amp connectors. Even when new, if assembled incorrectly or a pin is defective or damaged, all bets are off. It would be VERY interesting to have one of those guys simply replace the pins with Dave's kit on the related components and see if it corrects the problem.

5. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms

Ernie is right, sorry about that.

360/430 uses different pins and is a whole different system and problem. I had to find that issue to save a couple of Lemon Law buy backs when the cars were new. Three different problems lead to near the same run conditions....Thats for another day.

6. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Regardless, there is a ton of information that has been put forth in this thread that is going to save many 348 owners countless hours of aggravation down the road. I have been chasing intermittent sensor issues for quite a while, swapping out parts, cleaning connectors, etc. Given how infrequently temperature sensors fail (Dave has never seen one in a 348) hopefully anyone with the same problem in the future will find this thread and it will motivate them to look into their connectors/wiring loom.

What Dave won't mention here (but I will) is that after he saw the condition of my hose from a pic in this thread he shipped one of his new hoses off to me to use as a replacement. You don't have to be an engineer to see that the new hose is superior to the OEM hose. Thank you Dave, you are a class act!

7. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    Very interesting story Hugh. What a frustrating thing to try and diagnose. Especially when you get OEM parts that are supposed to 'fix" the problem.

Mr. Helms should be inducted into the Ferrari mechanics Hall of fame for his r&d and his never ending desire to make our cars better.

8. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Thanks guys. Eric, I know the hose will work well for you, it will be one item you will not have to worry about well into the next decade. Tighten it up good and recheck it for torque once and then forget about that one. So long as we have Eric's nod as he is the original poster, might as well keep this all in one spot.

Last evening was spent modifying my origional 355/F40 tool design and parts package to accomodate the 348 variations to the harness sheathing. The plastic sheathing presented a couple of challanges but I am now past those. Down side is the 348 will require a couple of extra tools to do the complete job that the 355 variants and the F40's did not. Not a big deal, just a small speed bump. By early next week I should have the early and late 348 kits all documented and ready to assemble and this weekend will be spent doing a procedural write up with photo's with the help of Hugh F355Spider

It was only a matter of time before I would hit my first stumbling block and Thursday was the day. My first reorder of the boots that I finally choose for this kit came with a surprise, the cost had doubled at the first of the year...something about these being linked to the cost of oil....I then came back with the cost of oil has dropped.... Took some hard talking and commitment to large quantities but in the end I was able to hold at the price at what it was late last year. Final hurdle is the cost to have my boot tool design fabricated in quantities that make sense yet keep it affordable. I now know that number is not 20 pieces and suspect it is not 200...hard to guess these things through when playing in new areas, hence my difficulty in giving hard costs to those asking. I know what it costs to make the parts one by one in house and by the end of the weekend I will know what it costs do do them in quantity and the resulting cost of having those on the shelf. I suspect in the low numbers I am asking about it is near a trade off with doing them in house but I have a good many upgrade items for various models that I am bringing to market in the next few weeks and that might help when the machine shops look at a big picture and not just a single part. When pricing this I did not 'build in a margin' that could absorb cost variations as I wanted this to be as affordable as possible as that was the second point in the business plan with Absolute Quality being the first.... foolish thinking for a "for profit" business plan but I never did good in my economics class.

Dave

9. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Dave,

Contact luckydynes on fchat by pm. Sean is an engineer and is basically an inventor workshop with the right tools. Mostly a 308 guy he does fabricate small runs of all kinds of parts his machines are cnc. He has done ferrari things in low volume. Contact him to see if he can help you in your small volume manufacture.

10. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #60 ernie, Jul 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
    Eric my-brotha-from-anotha-motha,

Thanks to your post I was able to replace my coolant temp sensors without having to remove the intake plenum. Though I didn't have to use a long 19mm socket. The normal size socket worked just fine attached to a swivel and extension. That and I was able to leave the oil pressure sensor in place. What I did was loosen the two little screws on the top of the sensor so that I could turn the pins down and out of the way. After I did that the socket fit over the coolant sensor just fin.

Anyway thanks for posting what you did. Made my job go a lot easier and quicker.

11. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    "Buehler, Buehler, Class, class, anyone?!"

12. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    LOL!

I'll have to do that to see what they read.