Replacing door speakers and installing window accelerators in my 348 | FerrariChat

Replacing door speakers and installing window accelerators in my 348

Discussion in '348/355' started by jerhofer, Sep 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jerhofer

jerhofer Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2013
    Rockwell, NC
    Full Name:
    Jerry Forthofer
    #1 jerhofer, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As I mentioned in a previous post, I had some buzzing from my door speakers. This had been going on with the old radio as well. To get to the door speakers, first you must remove the lower door panel and the carpeted door panel. On the rear end of the door there are two screws in a narrow metal retainer. There is a single screw on the lower door panel at the front. With these removed, there are three pop in retainers on the carpeted panel and four on the lower door panel that hold the panels to the door. Using as little pressure as possible, I pulled on the panels to remove them. I had purchased new retainers but only had to replace a couple of them as they broke during the removal process.

With these panels out of the way, the speaker is exposed. They were 6 1/2" Infinity speakers with a center tweeter that could be angled for the best sound. These tweeters were higher than the speaker cone and were rubbing on the back of the carpeted panel thus causing my buzzing. They were soon removed from the car.

When I originally decided to replace the radio, knowing that I would be replacing the door speakers, I also ordered the window accelerators from Ricambi. The power window wires are directly behind the speaker opening. To install the accelerators, you need to remove one of the clips hold the window wires and strip away a section of the plastic covering. With the wires exposed, cut one wire at a time. One end of the cut wire goes into the supplied butt connector with the other end of the cut wire and either one of the gray wires from the module are shoved into the other end of the butt connector. I crimped these wires into the butt connectors and then soldered them before covering the connections with some shrink wrap. With that wiring complete, you cut the other wire and repeat the same connections. There is a ground wire for the accelerator module that must be attached. With all the connections made, I cleaned an area inside the door opening and then used the supplied double sided tape to mount the module. The windows definitely worked better after the installation.

With that done, I took the door speaker to a local car stereo store to find one that was shallow enough (2" or less) and one that did not have anything sticking out from the speaker cone. Since the car is not quiet, I was not trying to install a killer system as it would be somewhat wasted. The shop had a pair of Kicker speakers that did the trick. After installing them, I re-installed the door panels and everything was now back together.

I climbed into the driver's seat, closed the doors and spent some time adjusting the radio settings.

And then the driver door would not open!!! More to come.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Nice job Jerry.

3. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    I had the door speakers/original tweeters in the dash vents/small subwoofer passenger side of console. Worked great at rest, couldn't hear much above 60 mph. My epiphany came when I bought an old X1/9 to fix up. It had crappy little speakers crammed into the tiny parcel shelf behind the seats. Wow, you could hear the tunes at all speeds. So I had some old Radio Shack cube speakers that I installed on the same area of the F-car. I disconnected the wires to the tweeters and ran that signal to the new speakers. Wow, I can now hear tunes at any speed without going up to high volume levels. Even works with the convertible top boot on. Lesson learned : you can play with different brands of door speakers all day long, but if you want to actually hear something, chuck some speakers on that shelf behind you. I know someone makes beautiful custom fit speakers for F-car that I've seen on this site, but even cheap cube speakers and some home made brackets to keep them in place make all the difference.

4. jerhofer

jerhofer Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2013
    Rockwell, NC
    Full Name:
    Jerry Forthofer
    After my first drive I had to adjust the fader more to the front as I was only hearing the rear speakers. Huge difference having the speakers directly behind your ears. We used to have a Miata that had speakers in the head rest which worked very well.