Replacing F355 Rear Lamps with LED's | FerrariChat

Replacing F355 Rear Lamps with LED's

Discussion in '348/355' started by The Outcast, Oct 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. The Outcast

The Outcast Formula 3

Apr 19, 2011
    Royal Oak Michigan
    So...I've converted all 4 of my 355's side marker lamps with LEDs, and it's great...great brightness, great color, and hopefully long life.

Now I want to do all the rear bulbs and front park/turn bulbs. I have selected the correct bulbs for reverse, tail, stop, park, and turn. I have the correct flasher in order to avoid hyper-speed flashing due to low load.

Is there anything else I should know? I've talked to lighting engineers at work, and they warn that, if lights are CAN-bus controlled, there could be issues. Are F355 lamps under CAN-bus control?

Any input would be appreciated.

2. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I look forward to seeing your results. Sounds cool as usual.

Robb

3. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I had a custom LED board created for my friends old car. It plugged into the standard light bulb socket.

I think if you're going to do it, you might as well go the extra mile and buy a spare set of tail lights and put in custom LED boards. It will look great if that's what you're into.

Personally, I like the glow of the old bulbs in the old cars.

4. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
  5. exotic30

exotic30 Karting

Jun 22, 2008
    CAN-bus controlled F355 lights? The F355 was designed in the early 90s not in the 2010s :)...I don't think there's anything in the lights that is CAN-bus anything.

6. The Outcast

The Outcast Formula 3

Apr 19, 2011
    Royal Oak Michigan
    Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

7. The Outcast

The Outcast Formula 3

Apr 19, 2011
    Royal Oak Michigan
  8. The Outcast

The Outcast Formula 3

Apr 19, 2011
    Royal Oak Michigan
    I've seen these and I agree...they are sweet. A bit out of my budget right now, regrettably. Thanks!

9. The Outcast

The Outcast Formula 3

Apr 19, 2011
    Royal Oak Michigan
    Thanks Robb! I'll post when done...probably next week the way things are going!

Also, I haven't forgotten your Sportiva frame, if you haven't already got one.

10. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
    Could you specify which flasher you are using and where you purchased it?

11. FCOnyx

FCOnyx Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Round Rock, TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Second that... in fact, can you post *all* part #s you purchased and which bulbs they correspond to?

I replaced my backup lights with LEDs a few months ago and have been very happy with them, but all the discussions I've read through seemed mired in "fast flash" for turn signals so I haven't done them since it seems to involve swapping out relays, etc.

Brake light replacements also seemed to discuss concerns over the LED lights not changing much in brightness/intensity when the brakes are applied (at night when driving with the lights on) which raised the issue of not being clear to drivers behind you that you've actually hit the brakes.

Be great to get some actual real-world info on any bulb/boards that rectify these issues (if they are indeed issues)

12. The Outcast

The Outcast Formula 3

Apr 19, 2011
    Royal Oak Michigan
    Sorry...my son has been sick today and I'm busy caring for him.

I will post all parts tomorrow.

13. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC

I have a source for LED bulbs that I used in my 993TT. I cannot say enough good things about them. bright, lens filling light, modern look, good contrast between park lights and brake light brightness.

If I can find the correct relay for US spec cars, combined with these bulbs, I believe we will have the definitive 355 upgrade kit for a very reasonable price.

14. The Outcast

The Outcast Formula 3

Apr 19, 2011
    Royal Oak Michigan
    So, here they are:

(All parts ordered from superbrightleds.com)

Brake Lamps:

1156-x27-T-CAR (RED); 320 Lumens, qty. 4

Tail/Turn Lamps:

1157-x45-T-CAR (RED); 220 Lumens, qty. 4

Reverse Lamps:

1156-x3W-G-CAR (WHITE); 270 Lumens, qty. 2

Flasher:

EP27L, qty. 1

I haven't installed yet; won't have time until Wednesday.

15. The Outcast

The Outcast Formula 3

Apr 19, 2011
    Royal Oak Michigan
    So if you have a source, why don't you share it? Then we can all have options to try.

16. ferrari bud

ferrari bud Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Chris

I used the same source for my 993 LEDs which were awesome. If he'd be willing to make a kit, I bet he'd get tons of interested buyers.

17. The Outcast

The Outcast Formula 3

Apr 19, 2011
    Royal Oak Michigan
    Haha...and...let me guess...you're not going to share either?

My angle here is to share so that users of this site can benefit, much like all of us have from many helpful technical articles presented here, with better solutions for keeping our cars at their best.

Fancy that...

18. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
    Nothing to share yet. I've been talking with the supplier about offering a kit to the 355 community.

The issue is the flasher.

The EP27 is not the correct flasher for the U.S. Spec cars. The EP27 only has 5 pins,the OEM has seven.

I do not know what effect if any the EP27 will have. I started a thread year ago about this but got no new info.

19. The Outcast

The Outcast Formula 3

Apr 19, 2011
    Royal Oak Michigan
    Maybe we talk to a Mod and have them combine threads? I agree that, for lots of reasons, many folks are trying to solve this.

My car has 5-pins. It's a 1999. Hmm.

I work at a US OEM. I will talk to some electrical guys. Might take a few days, but worth a try.

20. The Outcast

The Outcast Formula 3

Apr 19, 2011
    Royal Oak Michigan
  21. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
  22. The Outcast

The Outcast Formula 3

Apr 19, 2011
    Royal Oak Michigan
    I'm pretty sure that the part you show (found by following the click) is simply the "clicker".

The actual flasher relay is in the small box near the Washer reservoir. There is a removable cover, but once you get that off, you'll need to pull 4 screws for your trunk liner to get at it. Once that's pushed aside, unscrew the cover with the two knobs; pull the cover off, and you'll see the fuse/relay box. The flasher relay is at the end of a row of 4 relays (the only such row that exists in this box), and is the furthest inboard cross-car from the fender. Pull it out, and you will see a 5-pin Bosch 0 332 209 159-type relay (many other generic equivalents available). This is the Flasher Relay, and this is the one you will replace with the EP27L electronic relay. Check the pin-outs for the 0 332 209 159; they look identical to those for the EP27L. Illustration for Bosch part and EP27L are shown; Bosch part illustration uses symbols and shows numbers 30, 85, 86, 87, 87a.

23. The Outcast

The Outcast Formula 3

Apr 19, 2011
    Royal Oak Michigan
    Here are the images.

24. The Outcast

The Outcast Formula 3

Apr 19, 2011
    Royal Oak Michigan
    #24 The Outcast, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  25. The Outcast

The Outcast Formula 3

Apr 19, 2011
    Royal Oak Michigan
    #25 The Outcast, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
    Dad always taught me; when you make a mistake, 'fess up quick, before someone acts on bad information.

Brake lamps are 1157, not 1156. Use 8 1157's for tail/turn and brake. Almost any 1157 LEDs will do it, but it's a matter of taste regarding output and pattern.

By the way, the double filament is what makes the brightness differentiation between tail and turn, and provides the higher brightness for brake. Brake lamps always light both filaments, and tail/turn light one filament for tail, and two for turn.

Sorry for any inconvenience my mistake may have caused.