Replacing the front Bonnet cable. | FerrariChat

Replacing the front Bonnet cable.

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by syldog, Dec 29, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. syldog

syldog Karting

Jun 22, 2006
    Huntingdon Valley PA
    Full Name:
    Andrew D. Pitcairn
    The front bonnet cable on my 512tr broke. I have found where the cable is run inder the mat and thru the fire wall to the release on the driver side, but there is no way I can fit my hand in the tiny opening to grab the cable and feed it to the lock nut. Any one know what has to be removed to accomplish this? Thanks for any help!

2. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    I removed the latch to feed it thru. Also a long pair of needlenose pliers help. I used a peice of wire to route it under the parking brake housing (I know the 512TR is alittle bit different) Before you close the lid, manually latch the latches and test it several times to make sure it works properly. If it doesnt work properly once you close it your screwed. If your cable housing is OK, you can simply pull the old cable out of the housing and slide the new one in.

3. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    You can replace just the cable inside the sheath, I did that for my rear hatch and it worked perfectly, I got the cable from Home Depot and slid it in carefully.

4. syldog

syldog Karting

Jun 22, 2006
    Huntingdon Valley PA
    Full Name:
    Andrew D. Pitcairn
    Thanks for the input guys. I think I need to be more specific.

Its not a problem thredding the new cable thru the old sheath and thru the dash. The problem is I have no room under the bonnet where the cable comes thru to attach it to the linkage. There is simply not enough room for my hands. The brake vacuum can(?) And driver side latch is in the way. Does any one know of I can remove either of these without issue to get at the cable coming thru the fire wall?

Thanks again.

5. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I used long-jawed needle nose pliers to do mine. REALLY long ones.