Replacing the motor/engine mounts on a 456M | FerrariChat

Replacing the motor/engine mounts on a 456M

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by deetee, Dec 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. deetee

deetee Karting

Jul 4, 2011
    Tokyo, Japan
    Full Name:
    Takashi
    As a preventative maintenance measure, I'm having the motor mounts on my 456M replaced with a pair of each of part number 192022 (engine mount), 182141 (engine mount retaining washer), and 15981634 (engine mount retaining bolt). My car guy would like to know if there are any caution tips specific to the 456M for that procedure and so any insight you might provide in that regard would be greatly appreciated.

2. Lionworks Auto

Lionworks Auto Formula 3

Oct 16, 2013
    Worthington OH
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Use 575 mounts for sure

3. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    Are those the 575 part numbers?

4. johnglobaljet

johnglobaljet Karting

Dec 31, 2014
    KS
    Full Name:
    John
    192022 ENGINE MOUNT is the 575M version (as well as the washer and bolt part numbers listed above). My mechanic told me there was some type of additional spacer required to fit this to my '95 456 GT. It took a few weeks to find a set before I was able to have the upgrade done (prior 456M motor mount upgrade was completely shot). I don't know if my mechanic meant the #182141 RETAINING WASHER. I would check with someone who has experience doing the 575M motor mount upgrade on a 456M.

Auraraptor likes this.
  5. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    Is this really a notorious issue? My 456M is fine

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Very much so.

How do you know?

7. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    Well, what would I notice if something was amiss?

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #8 Rifledriver, Dec 9, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
    One of the common ways is when the oil pressure sender breaks off and the motor pumps 14 quarts of oil onto the pavement and the motor seizes.

Another is when the weight of the motor is being supported by the steering rack and not the mounts.

paulchua and Prit Singh like this.
  9. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    #9 MoeD, Dec 10, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    Ok all kidding aside- Is that your way of saying; don't wait to notice, just get the them swapped out ASAP?

I'm looking for appropriate advice which was just seconded on a concurrent thread. I'm surprised I wasn't aware of this because I went through my car from head to toe, but I guess I will be attending to this later this month.

This discussion is definitely appreciated. Thank you to all of you.

10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If you still have the early one's, yes.

Unfortunately not a single week goes by when I do not see a car regularly serviced and in some cases by dealers that have not had the basic, well known weak points addressed.

3 or 4 years ago I received some parts for performing a clutch replacement on a 360 from one of the oldest, best known dealers in the country. in about 2003 there had been a service bulletin telling us a new version of this particular item was available improving the clutch life and operation. They sent me the early version. I called to ask and their entire parts and service department was unaware of the change. It was a part number they had never heard of and never stocked.

We are not stuck in time but many shops seem to be. Do not use one of those.

11. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    My car is an '02, so it's a later 456M

Do you think I may indeed have the updated motor mounts?

-as far as a dealer selling you a part that's been updated- I'd tend to think that parts in inventory that have been updated become dead stock to a dealer & I'd have to imagine that at some point they try to move the inventory, so i'm not sure I'd be so forgiving of any dealer that sells me parts like that. In my mind as I'm reading your post, I'm thinking- 'They are the dealer. Of all the parts resources out there, they are the ones that actually know better'. They can't pull up a part number without and update alert staring at them in the face.

At least that's what I think.

12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Moe- If you look in Ricambi's parts catalog, you will see the 456, 456M, and F355 use the same motor mounts (Table 1 to help you find it). So unless someone changed them before you bought her, no, she does not have 575M mounts.

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I spent a couple of decades in Ferrari dealers. I'm pretty familiar with how they work.

14. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Moe I have loved Ferrari for 50 years, F1, GT racing,ownership, But after reading the
    tip's and advice over the years ( and meeting him at the Cavallino) I would trust Brian
    over Ferrari and there dealerships any day, He's here to help, Ferrari is only in the
    business of $$$. Your 456m looks beautiful.
    Daniel

19wm69 likes this.
  15. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    Thanks Dan-

Not sure how I wasn't previously famialiar with this issue, but perhaps because my car has been fine. But considering this isssu, I'm definitely going to trust both Brian and Taz and make the motor mount mod- Just wanted to make sure my car was a candidate for it

There was mention of this concurrently on the 456 enthusiast thread as well, so as I said above- I appreciate the advice-

That's what makes this place an asset for us all

16. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    #16 Il Tifoso, Oct 27, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    Hi all,

Reviving an old thread since I can't seem to find clear info elsewhere. I have a couple of questions:

1) Can someone please confirm that the optimal motor mounts to use on a 1995 456GT are indeed the 575M mounts? I'm really confused why Ricambi and others show a completely different set of part numbers from the 575M diagrams.

2) If the right motor mounts to use on on a 1995 456GT are indeed the 575M parts, can someone please confirm the following part numbers?

192022 (engine mount)
    182141 (engine mount retaining washer)
    15981634 (engine mount retaining bolt)
    ????????? (Some sort of spacer? - is this really needed? I can't seem to find any info on this)

Aside from these 4 parts, is there anything else required to install the mounts on a 1995 456GT?

Thanks in advance!

Ruben

17. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    #17 au-yt, Oct 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Thanks Graeme, understood!

Ruben

19. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Do 2000 456M's need the upgrade?

20. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It is not just an upgrade, it is routine maintenance. Even the new mounts go bad in a few years, they just introduced a design feature that prevents so much movement at point of failure that it limits engine movement to a non destructive level. Any properly maintained 2000 will have gone through 2 sets of mounts by now.

21. Sergio456

Sergio456 Rookie

Sep 20, 2016
    Milan Italy
    Full Name:
    Sergio Corsi
    Very interesting, do you think it's valid also for an 456 GT 1994 ?

22. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    RD,
    Good to know, but following that assumption/guidance is it a mileage vs age issue?

Typically most 456s still have less than 25k miles, so would a 20k mi '00 456M have needed them every 10k mi/8yrs as a preventative measure?

23. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Indeed!

Ruben

24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Use is a factor but age is a bigger one. The contractor who makes them uses a poor grade of rubber. Some 328, 348, BB and TR still have original mounts in good condition. The 355/456/550/575 original mounts are all well past their sell by dates. Under the A H Montezemolo Ferrari outsourced cheaper and cheaper parts. With any luck that may get reversed but I am not holding my breath. We saw more Kleenex parts used under Luca than ever before and the longer his rein of terror lasted the worse it got.

25. 348paul

348paul Formula 3

Dec 27, 2002
    Kent - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Hill
    My 550 will be going in for its third set soon...!