Replacing the mousehair on the dashboard | FerrariChat

Replacing the mousehair on the dashboard

Discussion in '206/246' started by simonc, Jan 14, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    #1 simonc, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
    My Dino has had the dashboard covered in leather and I want to remove this and replace it with the original style mousehair. I have the mousehair (from Superformance) but I need a little advice before I remove the dashboard.

Should there be any padding under the mousehair or is it stuck directly onto the fibreglass dashboard?

Do I apply glue the entire dashboard to stick the mousehair down, or do I just glue the edges?

Any other advice and/or pictures welcome.

Simon

2. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Simon,
    I can give you only one piece of advice, DO NOT attemp this job unless you are a very skilled upholsterer.......there are parts of this dash which are very difficult to get the material to fit snugly round, particularly the glove box area.
    In fact the guy who did mine had to heat the material slightly and it took him a day to do!
    And no the material goes straight on with no extra padding.
    Graham.

3. rosso corsa motorsport

rosso corsa motorsport Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2008
    #3 rosso corsa motorsport, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    it has pirelli rubber, the right corner is the most difficult part, i have done a few, and swear every time on that corner. it is fun doing but it is very difficult to do
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Where is your material from?

5. dino clay

dino clay Karting

Oct 31, 2007
    san mateo, cal
    Full Name:
    clay cavanaugh
    ditto, hard to do

6. rosso corsa motorsport

Nov 30, 2008
    it was made over 15 years ago, identical to the original fabric. this fabric is no longer available i am thinking to have some made if there is any interest to have the original fabric

7. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    does it fade away like the original?

8. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    there are others here that know for sure, but my understanding is that the covering material was not fabric (cloth) at all but the same Dino vinyl as seen elsewhere in the interior which had been "flocked" to make it non-reflective

I'm sure if you can have that made so it looks identical to the original stuff you'll have plenty of buyers for it.

9. rosso corsa motorsport

Nov 30, 2008
    only time will tell that, but it was said to be more resistant to sun

10. rosso corsa motorsport

Nov 30, 2008
    it is fabric!!!!! not vinyl
    would not make it if i can not have identical to original exept for better resistant to sun
    i have several old sample so i can have identical color

11. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    #11 dignini, Jan 23, 2011
    This is the original material and color. It is fabric, soaks up water like a sponge! looses color and hair with the blink of an eye. I wonder if a suede covering would look right? or would it be just as bad.

12. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    #12 Jamie H, Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
    Well put me down for a couple of metres should you decide to have it manufactured.

I suppose that we where assuming that it was flocked vinyl due to the similarity in the grain

Thanks
    Jamie

13. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    It is flocked Dino vinyl not a woven material at least on my late GTS.

14. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    Surely, if it was vinyl, water would run off it, not soak right through. has yours been recovered with some other material?

15. Jon Hansen

Jon Hansen Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2007
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Jon Hansen
    I would be interested in enough material to redo one car.
    Please consider having some remade!!

16. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Same here...

Regards, Alberto

17. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    All this mouse-fur dash material is flocked Dino vinyl. I checked a spare Dino dash that hasn't been recovered as well as an original Stratos dash that hasn't been recovered and they are both flocked vinyl. The material I bought at FAF (Ferrari dealer) in Atlanta back in 1985 was flocked vinyl. It is not a woven fabric. We visited Trincera in Italy (big upholstery supplier) and talked to the head of the company and he admitted it turned out to be a flawed product that faded. The new stuff is too black. Wish we could find a way to fade it a bit. UV light? Light bleaching? I have a whole roll of the new stuff and will try a mild bleach solution on a piece just for fun.

18. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    I think Henk van Lith is working on a mousehair reproduction. That is what he told me a few month ago...
    Maybe he needs a push from other customers too.
    If he finally had done it, you can be 100% sure it`s like the original material.
    Regards Matthias

19. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    your evidence seems to be more compelling than mine!, I guess I have to rethink it

20. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Some of the original dashes, when the flocking wears off, are down to the original vinyl with no fuzz left. If someone does a faithful reproduction then solving the fading issue is crucial as the original stuff started going bad after a year or so. I have a spare dash I covered in the original material and it is already changing from charcoal to brownish looking and it has never been outside its entire life!

21. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    As I believe I mentioned in a post months ago on this issue, I have had my factory-original mousehair spray-dyed (about eight years ago), and it has not faded at all in the ensuing period. I drive my car on hot, sunny days most often, and have been extremely pleased with the way the dye has held up. I would never consider the expense and disruption of recovering the dash in the original fade-prone material. It would be an exercise in futility, in my opinion. Fred

22. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    I could not understand why, even dyeing it with suede dye, it still turned brown after a few months it stand then the hair falls out!
    It makes you wonder if its worth doing. You restore an interior and a year later its brown again.

23. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I used VHT black fabric spray on one dash that was faded but still had good fuzz and it lasted a long time and looked pretty good. Though nothing beats the look of the original material when it is freshly installed.

24. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    agreed on the new one, I just have to look inside the glove box and its right there. Flat black VHT I guess?

25. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    #25 dignini, Jan 26, 2011