Replacing the Sill Plates | FerrariChat

Replacing the Sill Plates

Discussion in '348/355' started by Mark355, Sep 5, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mark355

Mark355 Karting

Dec 7, 2004
    Gloucestershire
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Finally got round to replacing the rusted sill plates on my 355 with the carbon fibre ones from Pro Sport which cost less for a pair than the single cost of the Ferrari original. You re-use the rubber Ferrari insert and the sealing strip along the back edge.

The originals are held on with 3 screws along the inside edge and rubber sealant along the outside edge and the only way to remove them is with a sharp chisel which will lever them off and cut through the sealant at the same time. You end up with something which looks like the lid off a sardine tin.

Once off, you can use "silicone sealant remover" to remove the remaining sealent. This is a gel available from B&Q which you apply, leave for 2 - 3 hours after which you can remove the sealant with a paint scraper or the type used to tidy paint around a painted window - with a Stanley knife blade fitted. You can then clean up with meths to remove any residue.

Before you fit the new sill panel, tighten the screws holding on the side skirt if they are loose, hopefully this will be the last time you get to see them. I had to do some very minor shaping of the back edge of one side, probably Ferrari's tolerances as much as Pro Sport's especially as I crunched that side of the car, the less said about that the better.

I used bathroom sealant instead of the rubber sealant which doesn't set quite as hard and hopefully will allow them to be removed in one piece if I ever need to.

I'm pleased with the results, much better looking than the unsightly bubbling black paint of the originals. One of those jobs where a couple of afternoons spent improve your car and save you money.

2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Nice, post some pics. :)

3. Mark355

Mark355 Karting

Dec 7, 2004
    Gloucestershire
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #3 Mark355, Sep 5, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Very cool. They look great. Cheers for posting. :)

5. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    They look fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Frank164

Frank164 Karting

Jul 19, 2006
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Look very nice.

7. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    I've seen a lot of carbon fiber sills, but like those the best - they're not too showy.

Can you give me the contact info where you got these?

8. vegas1

vegas1 F1 Rookie

Jul 28, 2004
    Australia
    The driver's side sill on my 348 still has a fine plastic coating covering it, but the passenger side doesn't have any plastic coating. Was plastic coating used on all factory delivered 348 sills? I assume the plastic was normally taken off @ the dealership prior to delivery, or by the new owners themselves. Any comments/observations re the above?

9. f355alldaylong

f355alldaylong Karting

Jan 24, 2005
    South Carolina
    i'm feelin the color combo of your interior. can you post up a pic of the complete interior? that white sure pops against the red. nice!

10. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
  11. Mark355

Mark355 Karting

Dec 7, 2004
    Gloucestershire
    Full Name: