Replica WW1 Aerodrome | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Replica WW1 Aerodrome

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by snj5, Apr 14, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Absolutely wonderful!

How often are you expecting to have to mow the grass runway, and what will you be using?
    Something from the early 1900's? :)

2. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Lots of sheep!

3. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    ...primarily one old goat...me!

4. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I doubt it, you don't have a beard.

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Russ, I liked the cottage without the dormer on one side. Is there a room up there for the dormer? Was there ever a dormer one the other side? To me it seems a bit out of balance...just my own thoughts. Everything that you are doing is a wonderful project and I hope that someday I can see it.

6. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #81 snj5, May 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Pulling into the home stretch on the hangar. Doors done, finishing paneling, then the door sliders out to the side with posts.

Also, a nice shot of the landing field from one corner looking down the entire Aerodrome. While not a big square aerodrome, at 150 feet wide on flat grass with open approaches it will feel much as if you are landing in an open field, at least as much as I can afford.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    That sure looks great, Russ. Where is it in relation to Xenia, like east, west or on what highway?
    Also I tried to look up the definition or translation of Les Noyes and all I could get was a bio of an English author.

8. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I mis-spelled it -- Les Noyers: The Walnut Trees, or Walnut Grove

It is east of Xenia down highway 35, 2 - 3 miles due north of Jamestown on Brickel Road just north of the Hwy 35 / Hwy 72 intersection

9. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Thanks, Russ. It looks like beautiful country, nice farm land. For a chuckle. I went to a " dictionary search" and typed in Les Noyes and guess what? They had located Les Noyes and for a moderate bit of cash they would give me his name and address. His he near the aerodrome?
    This is a fine thing that you are doing and I can't wait to see it and to hear it when the Dawn Patrol takes flight in the pale light.
    I think that I'll give Les a call.

10. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #85 snj5, May 9, 2013
    Thanks -
    Here is a drawing of the 12 x 20 "Watch Office" which will be to the side of the hangar.
    I am planning to get a replica Victrola, tailskid dolly, an icebox cooler for drinks, a small wood stove, a chalkboard for the wall and a small desk.
    I am teetering on putting an window unit airconditioner in a side wall. I know, I know, but....

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Sorry, Russ, but I think you'll need to ditch the air conditioner, and "rough it" like they did in 1917! I guess the chalkboard is to list the squadron pilots and their tally of "kills"? Maybe you'll figure out a way to give out an occasional "Blue Max"!

12. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Wrong, Jim. That notifies Russ when he is on KP.

13. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Like Beetle Bailey, I'm permanently assigned to KP

14. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #89 snj5, May 10, 2013
  15. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    You would be surprised at the number of younger military types to whom I have talked that don't know what KP means. Russ, I am on the lookout for anything old and WW1-ish that will enhance the ambulance of the place, like old socks, smelly boots, etc.

16. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Not military, but did earn the rank of Eagle Scout. And I do know what KP means! Ha

17. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #92 snj5, May 11, 2013
  18. I16

I16 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2008
    #93 I16, May 11, 2013
  19. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I'll bet that you and Russ think you're funny. After looking at that for a while, I figured it out. It isn't exactly what I had in mind but they are beautiful. Thanks.

20. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #95 snj5, May 11, 2013
    "Always go for the laugh" - God (portrayed by George Burns in the movie 'Oh, God')

That said, hopefully next year I can get a small support vehicle. A model T truck seems to be the period specific and accurate choice. Attached is a foto of a T truck in RFC livery at a British Museum... Hendon, I thnk. I have seen running model T and TT trucks well below $10K, ans would like to use one as a fuel bowser with a hand pump on a 55 gallon drum in the bed. Of course the other period option is also shown in an attached foto, and much less expensive...

21. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #96 snj5, May 19, 2013
    The French (old Roman, actually) tree lined Route Guynemer (driveway) to Aerodrome Les Noyers. Trees will get about 3x tall and wide.

As an old wag friend noted "you're not building a home, you're building a theme park..."

22. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Russ- Impressive. You probably already said, but how many acres make up the site?

23. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    It's a wee bit over 11 acres. Once the dust settles and we have v1.0 done, I'm going to try to get the acreage on the south side to increase the run and Xwind angle offs. Right now, with the prepared landing run a full 150 feet wide, it does give one some play room.

I am putting an original type skid on the Camel, which pretty much commits me to turf. Folks have told me that it makes ground handling and landing on turf much easier.

24. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Russ- Affirmative, it does, and stopping distance will be really short, probably about 80-100 yards from touchdown. Even less for a Dr.I, more like 50-80 yards.

25. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    The digging in of the tail skid is why many older designs had the landing gear so far ahead of the CG so that more weight was put on the tail. Older designs that had the tail skid replaced by a tail wheel are hell on wheels on solid pavement, specially in a crosswind. Feet have to alive and quick. We are really excited at this new aerodrome, like the trees too.