Replica WW1 Aerodrome | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Replica WW1 Aerodrome

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by snj5, Apr 14, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Russ- Affirmative, ultimate is to have a square airfield so no crosswind landings. Not that it takes much ground to get one stopped with a tailskid. Many visitors, however, will have tailwheels that, even with cheater brakes, will cause the aircraft to roll out quite a bit further.

2. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    So cool. I need to find an excuse to be in Ohio for work soon...

3. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    #103 tritone, May 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Maybe this one when the entire squadron is billeted....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    That is soooo cooool....

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I can't see the front to determine the year but it looks like a 1930's vintage Ford. Gotta have a WW1 type of thing. Beautiful, though and looks like something that I saw when I was little.

6. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #106 snj5, May 20, 2013
    Yes - it looks decidedly 30s, but nice. The closest I have found is this '25 TT tanker project for $3500:

7. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Man! I would jump on that one. Looks close enough and would add the necessary ambulance to the scene even without being restored.

8. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James

9. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    #109 tritone, May 20, 2013
  10. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    I'd want a round one. That way you could just tie a lawnmower to a stake in the middle with a rope as long as the field's radius, put her in gear and kick back with a tall lemonade in the shade until it reaches the middle :)

11. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    :) It does fit, just, in the current budget!

12. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #112 snj5, May 21, 2013
    The 'Mini-Stowe Marie' dispatch shed started going up today. It will have the same construction as the hangar, except wih more windows. Will have a toilet and sink in a small separate room. The building is quite modest, but will be a good place for some WW1 aviation art, the victrola and period icebox. Need to get a couple of period posters for the place (Kitchner is a must!) The wood stove should be here next week, as well as the Victrola.

13. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I think that I know where you might be able to get some WW1 art...like old Pups and Sopwiths.

14. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Is that period correct particleboard? :D

Just kidding. Great project!

Regards,

Art S.

15. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    :)
    "...with some concessions to modern building techniques to fend off the Ohio winters..."
    :)

16. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I worry about fending off tornadoes. I would hate to see them get that far east. You are doing a good thing that should be perpetuated.

17. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  18. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #118 snj5, May 28, 2013
    That is a great resource - many thanks!

Work has slowed a bit due to wx. The pot bellied wood burning stove arrived, the period Ice Box (for pilot and visitor hospitality!) is enroute as is the original 1915 Victrola. Now waiting for windows and roofing. Note the authentic 1915 RFC particle board for the period insulation against the Ohio winters. :) Almost ready to buy the rocking chair for the porch.

Going to Texas this weekend to pack up the Camel and bring it to the new home. I am also working to have a new set of thinner original airfoil (or damn close) undercambered wings made this summer. Won't pick up any speed but the undercamber should help it get off and climb better, in addition to being a bit more accutate in appearance and flying characteristics..

19. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Russ, that ice box is identical to the one that I grew up with in the early 30's. I hated to have to carry out the tray from underneath that was full of water that sloshed out all over the place. What a jolt to my memory to see that thing. Where did you find it? I remember the iceman coming in with the block of ice slung over his shoulder that was protected by a black rubber cape. The block of ice was was grasped by a set of tongs and only one handle ring was needed to set both tynes into the block of ice the way the tongd were designed. I can't believe what you are coming up with to equip the aerodrome. Kudos to you!

20. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Russ- Make sure you try those new wings at altitude. They will tend to stall differently and depart controlled flight differently at high AOA. The fat airfoil that Fokker picked up from a collaboration with Junkers tended to make the Dr.I, D.VII, and E.V/D.VIII depart smoothly and allowed average pilots to get the most out of the maneuvering capability of the aircraft. Similar fat airfoils make Cessnas and other GA aircraft relatively benign to fly. The thin airfoils of French and British WW-I aircraft were more difficult to control near max AOA.

21. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I am going to treat them with immense respect, for sure. It is amazing how similar looking airfoils can have different reputations - if one looks at the airfoils, like the RAF 14 and 15, similar to what was used in the F.1 and the Tiger Moth, they look quite similar yet have different reputations despite similar wing loadings. Also, I've read and heard that stall characteristics are a function to a large degree of leading edge shape, with sharper LE's separating more abruptly and rounded leading edges coming off more gently. And of course, pitching moments play a part as well.

I am wont to believe that a big part of that more abrupt described stall behavior of the Camel was somehow tied to the larger rotaries and propellers used combined with the short moment arms. I have come to this way of thinking as the precedent Pup, also with near identical airfoil, smaller rotary and longer moment arms, was described as "the perfect flying machine" with a famously more benign stall than the "fierce little beast" that followed.

22. kongman

kongman F1 Rookie

Aug 30, 2006
    brisvegas south
    Full Name:
    mr p
    if you ever need some to stand or sit around in period gear sayin

"I say my good chap can you bring me another tea "

ide be up for that .and I have the accent to make it fit ...lol

23. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    Russ, that's an awesome project! Your place looks so great, makes one feel all nostalgic - I'd love to drop some bombs on it! :) :D

24. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I believe that you are correct re the leading edge radius, Russ. Also the placement of the radius in the slope of the median curve as it reaches the leading edge will have some effect on stall characteristics, the lower the radius the better. I read somewhere that fledgeling Camel pilots crashed because they did not control fuel/air mixture properly and the engine quit.

25. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    LOL Best post of the thread so far!!!!!!!

Russ - you'll be needing observation balloons next....