Replica WW1 Aerodrome | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Replica WW1 Aerodrome

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by snj5, Apr 14, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- Also has a lot to do with incidence on the wing. I believe the Pup's saving grace was light wing loading and dihedral on both wings, which aided stability during a stall. The Sopwith Triplane was also noted as easy to fly, but the French were scared to death of theirs after a couple of Sopwith subcontractor Tripes came apart in the air. No problem with the Sopwith built Tripes.

2. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Iv'e been looking at my "aerofoil" books and the analysis of several 6 % sections don't look too bad, like the 6306 and 4406. The 9% sections look better, of course. Having flown airplanes with many different airfoils i am partial to the 4400 series and the Clark Y. Sure they are old but they are designed for the small lower speed airplanes and do a good job. The Monocoupe has a Clark Y and it has a nice stall and good at higher speeds. The 4412 wing with a bit of twist will hang on for dear life at high AOA. I'm gonna talk with the Aeroguru at work and see what he has to offer for Russ's wagon.

3. I16

I16 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2008
    Super impressed Russ, going to have a look in the old packing cases to see if there is anything pre 1918 that I can send.

4. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #129 snj5, Jun 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Metal roof now installed on the dispatch shed, and the grass is about a month away from the first mow. I'm told I need a small tractor with a Woods Finishing Mower, about 6 feet wide. A woodburning stove arrrived for the dispatch shed, and we will put it in shortly. The septic field plan and permits look like they are about done, and the electric transformer placement (and importantly, burying the cables on the NW approach end) will follow shortly. If the grass keeps going as it has, the landing field should be ready by the end of July. Also need more rain to keep the trees alive on the driveway.

The cottage should start late this month, to be finished in the Fall. Still hoping to have the Bessonneau up dy DPL '14 WW1 fly-in at Wright-Patt.

This afternoon we had the ceremonial raising of the windsock. Note the antique green porcelain/metal lamp over the hanger door in second photo.

You can also see the Camel in it's trailer inside the hanger, will plan to take it out the end of the week. Re-assembly and re-rig will take a bit longer.

The heating system for the Dispatch Office is ready to install as well - see last photo.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    This is getting exciting. Can't wait for the dedication ceremony.
    That stove brings back memories of trying to stay warm on the farm during the Depression. Make sure that you have some sand in the bottom to cushion the heat shock and possible cracking when you first light it and have a small starter fire that you can grow gradually. Kind of like throttling up a big radial. Okay, you probably knew this anyway.

6. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #131 snj5, Jun 7, 2013
  7. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #132 snj5, Jun 17, 2013
  8. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    You are like the GTHill of the aviation section.
    This is great!

9. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #134 snj5, Jun 25, 2013
    We mowed, rather bush hogged the runway for the first time today. From now I can use a finishing mower. The field is a little bumpy, but useable. We will plan to roll it depending on how much rain we get. You can see the tractor and bush hog in the photo.
    I rolled the Camel fuselage out today to sweep the hangar, and took a picture to show perspective in size.
    Last photo shows the Watch office starting to come together. Still have to install the smokestack for the wood stove - more as it develops. Looking for a period 'campaign desk' and Victrola stand. Note the 'wide-bottom' Amish rocker for my wide bottom., and 1915 ice box in photo corner.

10. kongman

kongman F1 Rookie

Aug 30, 2006
    brisvegas south
    Full Name:
    mr p
    I think you should put up some tents as well , most of the ground crew would have lived in them , plus they are cheap

11. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Dang Russ. Always something cool going on with you!

What's the status on the cottage?

12. SamuliS

SamuliS Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2008
    Finland, Helsinki
    Full Name:
    Samuli S
  13. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #138 snj5, Jun 29, 2013
    The big argument among my buds and me was if to get a dedicated mower which is fast, or get a tractor which can do more, but mows at about 1/2 the speed. Well, my neighbor offered use of his tractor if I needed it, leaving the question of snow removal in the winter. After walking the property again and getting an idea of just how much mowing need occur - I went with the dedicated mower, as there is a LOT of mowing, not only the runway.

So, meet the John Deere 777 72" cut zero turn finishing mower, or 'Shirley' for short. The name comes from 'Surely going to be hard to drive with both hands and drink a beer'.

14. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Russ,

Did you put in a beam near the front or back of the hangar that you can hang a chain fall from and support an engine???

Might be too late now to do it easily, but having a "skyhook" to be able to handle the weight of the rotary with a simple chain fall could be really nice thing to have.

I realized the same thing when I was taking an outboard powerhead off of a tower by myself last night. Was able to get a skyhook to a garage door mount in the middle of the garage and hoist the engine easily and lower it back down, but it was only 75 pounds that I was lifting so it could easily handle it. More than I wanted to do with my back without some assistance, but by rigging up a quick skyhook it ended up being a pretty easy task.

Just thinking out loud.

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #140 tazandjan, Jun 29, 2013
    Russ- Same problem with fly fishing. Solved with a beer koozie. Have a couple myself. Available without graphics that causes wife to hit you.

16. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I dunno Taz, given the amount he has to mow, I might recommend a Foam Dome for its larger holding capacity.

They come in many colors /designs, but it doesn't really matter: wives/significant others will hate them all.

Mullet and glazed, 'I'm operating on my last two IQ points' look are optional

CJS Product Review: The Foam Dome | Cru Jones Society

17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Chris- I was drinking 16.9 oz weissen bier from bottles, so the koozie was the only solution.

18. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris

Weight and balance... you never get far from it in aviation. :D

19. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #144 snj5, Jun 30, 2013
    Not sure how interesting this will be, but the cottage is tied in with the airfield for the water, sewage and electric systems. The plan, is to have the sewage leech field in the meadow in front of the house and the well between the house and the watch office. There will be a diesel or propane emergency generator. The hangar will have lights, and the watch office will have lights, spicket, a toilet and sink. There will probably be have a small a/c window unit installed during the summer, and we have the wood stove in the winter.

Let me tell you that at least here, it is a circus to get all the permits, and there is even an order in which one gets them. My advice to folks who think they may want to do something similar is to start the permitting EARLY.

My neighbor (Dewey) down the road has a parallel runway to mine, and while I was at work landed his Champ on my field and took a photo to welcome me to the neighborhood! Great folks up here!

20. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Spigot? may freeze in the winter unless you have some way to shut off the water below grade, or?... sink and toilet, too. You won't have the stove fired 24/7.

You'll need to talk to the 'authorities' about where the septic can go... might as well start that process.

21. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Did I miss a post? Is that a station hack?

22. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    It's Dewey's A model fuel truck

23. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #148 snj5, Jul 18, 2013
  24. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The corn looks in pretty good shape.

We need an aerial shot of the place. Imagine it looks pretty cool.

25. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest

If you Build it, they will Come.

Russ is building the (Air)Field of Dreams. Before long, WWI aviators are going to wander out of the corn and ask Russ, "Is this Heaven?"

And Russ will answer, "No, it's Ohio."

And then the voice of James Earl Jones comes out of the Victrola.

"People will come, Russ. They'll come to Ohio for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll land on your aeroodrome not knowing for sure why they're doing it, and arrive at your Watch office, innocent as children, longing for the past. They'll walk down the runway, or they'll sit in the grass next to the hangar and watch the dogfights, and it will be as if theyd dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick, they'll have to brush them away from their faces.

"This field, this hangar, these warbirds, are a peice of our past. It reminds us of all that was once good. And that could be again. People will come, Russ. People will come."

(Wide helicopter shot to all the lovely warbirds circling the pattern as sunset approaches.)