360 - report on identical problem on three 360s | FerrariChat

360 report on identical problem on three 360s

Discussion in '360/430' started by 24000rpm, Jun 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

I am not sure why it happen to me , here's the account of events.

car 1. about 90 days ago, after being a garage queen for 6 months, i replaced timing belt, oils, coolant, etc.
    and car overheats , i though i have air in the cooling system, alas no! the radiator is only warm(not hot) to touch when temp on dash reached 110 c (230 F). replaced thermostat. all good.

car 2. about 30 days ago, after being a garage queen for 3 months, i start the car, and it overheats. touch the radiator again, it is only warm when dash reached 110 c (230F) . replaced thermostat, all good

car 3. yestoday, after being a garage queen for 15 days, i start the car, drive the car, no problem, until i was backing up into a garage somebody called so i stopped there for 3 min with engine on. dash reached 120 C (250F), touched the radiator...... warm . will have to replace thermostat again.

i don't know how to examine a thermostat but i looked at those 2 i removed, i can't see anything bad.

I tested one of the thermostat in a hot pot of water and indeed it only opens a tiny bit, not enough for water to pass freely i guess. THe new thermostat opens a lot more than the bad one, as tested.

i had 3 different brands of coolants in 3 cars so it shouldn't be a coolant problem.

did I just hit the jackpot??????????? damn

2. PFSEX

PFSEX Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    John Ratto
    If I understand properly: car runs fine and at correct temperatures, but the gauge is reading high?

Maybe a temperature sending unit problem?

3. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Air in the coolant system?

Skidkid likes this.
  4. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
  5. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    It is possible that you had 3 thermostats fail in rapid succession but it doesn't sound likely; I think Mike has this one right. The thermostat housing is the high point in the 360 cooling system. If you didn't use the bleeder on top of the thermostat the systems gets an air gap there and locks the cooling system. Replacing the thermostat you got it filled correctly and all works. SO wither use the bleeder or use an airlift to fill the system. The later is more reliable and easier.

6. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

no, all three car's thermostat failed. as 2 of them are tested by hot water outside the car

QUOTE="PFSEX, post: 146662948, member: 35793"]If I understand properly: car runs fine and at correct temperatures, but the gauge is reading high?

Maybe a temperature sending unit problem?[/QUOTE]

7. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

i only replace coolant on the 1st car. the 2nd and 3rd car just sit there for 1 month and 15 days, nothing was done to them so at least 2 thermostat failed , I tested the 1st car's thermostat in hot water, it failed.

this is a really freak occurrence.

8. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Happens but very odd that you had 3 fail. Glad you found it before there were any problems.

9. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Friend playing a joke on you...

10. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    Maybe the heat exchanger going out ?? you may just have three different things going with all three cars . I do not know how you are able to take care of three 360's I barley can take car of one my hat is off to you rpm24000 !!

albkid likes this.