Republican Re Election Bumper Stickers | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Republican Re Election Bumper Stickers

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by writerguy, Feb 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Art, voucher systems CAN work and they have worked in cities like Milwaukee. Look at the standardized test scores compared to the national average. The CONCEPT of public education is very philanthropic and pollyeana, however, it no longer remotely resembles what it did 30,40,50 years ago, and certainly was not what the Founding Fathers envisioned. Public schools today are a J-O-K-E and NO AMOUNT of money any president, right or left, will throw at them will change them provided the current philosophy of celebrating mediocrity and rewarding ignorance, is perpetuated de jure through legislation, union mob tactics and political correctness. All that money does is buy more metal detectors and more rubbers to hand out to the little whores so they can breed and then you and I and everyone else on this board has to pay for their progeny.

I was admittedly very lucky as a kid growing up. My parents sent me to private school from K-12 BUT they were basically paying TWICE for tuition, as everyone else was who sent their kids to private school. Just because my brother and I went to private school the city, county and municipality did not give them a property tax rebate for the approximate cost of sending me to a public school. So in effect, they paid for me to go to school as well as some other kid that they never met, never knew his name or what he looked like, and most importantly, never new what, if ANYTHING, he was or was not learning? Don't give me the "public education" is an inalienable right argument because it is very old and no longer relevant. What are so-called public school educators and administrators afraid of in a voucher system? Perhaps is it the fact that they will have to actually DO something? Actually TEACH something in order to compete for the voucher dollars? The argument that a voucher system destroys the public education system is a red herring: if anything it will vastly improve it and LEVEL the playing field that the libs are so keen on leveling. If Johnny's parents, low income from Harlem, want to take their tax dollars (assuming they pay any) and send him uptown to a private school along with other people who are doing the same thing, soon at some point, the "private school" ceases to become private at all, and in fact becomes public because the majority of students will be there as a result of vouchers. Where's the harm? If this phenomenon causes public schools to stop worrying about PC and burkhas and In God We Trust and worry MOREabout teaching then they too will improve. COMPETITION is what elevates the quality of ANYTHING in life.

2. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Amen. The joke of estate, inheritance, death taxes, whatever you call them is it's double taxation, ANY way you slice it and it's BS !!! The taxes were already paid on that money several times over when it was originally made. Estate taxes are nothing more than legalized-racketeering undertaken by the federal government. It's a shakedown, pure and simple and the truly pathetic part is that it takes place during families most vulnerable time... the deathe of a loved one. But hey, whatever we gotta' do to keep breeding high school dropouts, welfare recipients, 15 yr old mothers, terrorists who have RIGHTS (LOL) , in other words, more voters for Kerry. Why do you think the left in particular has fought tooth-in-nail voucher proposals since the early 80's? Because the public "educational" system (pardon me while I laugh) is the liberal hotbed; strive for mediocrity, shoot for a 800 (total) SAT score, make sure you can take mechanics shop in school so you can grow up to be a UNION mechanic on some assembly line somewhere and perpetuate the dems hold over your mush-head, let's not give out grades because Johnny may have his feelings hurt if he gets a B and his friend gets an A, let's not hold so-called (union) teachers to any standards of academic proficiency, let's just let them continue to be babysitters and leftist indoctrinators and teach "tolerance" (make me gag) instead of reading, writing and mathematics. Look around the world: everyone forces their kids to learn English as a second language, that's why they come here and excell in business while Johnny is busy watching Ludicrous videos on MTV. Our kids are given the "option" in high school of learning a second language, and even then it's a joke, nothing more than a fancy way to learn enough vocabulary words to locate the whorehouses in Tijuana. Our kids know nothing about science, yet people on this board have *****ed about their jobs being sent overseas to Indian and Pakistani programmers, computer scientists, biomedical researchers, etc. Is there any wonder why?

Bottom line: public schools are CRAP and they WANT to be that way. An educated person can think for himself, be innovative, make money, be entrepreneurial, not be DEPENDANT ON BIG BROTHER"S NIPPLE, and John Kerry, in fact historically all dems, don't want that. Ignorance is their power base. It's changing though, look at all the black conservatives and ethnic conservatives who are new to this country that are emerging. They come from a land where NOTHING is spoon fed to you and they APPRECIATE what is available to them in this country, unlike the lazy, naer-do-wells who grew up here.

3. airbarton

airbarton Formula 3

Nov 11, 2002
    Kennesaw, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Chuck Barton
    Tifosi69 just became my new hero! Amen! All I can say is I wish I could have put it so eloquently. Thank you for doing a better job than me!

4. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Thank you very much. But seriously..c'mon, the schools are a damn joke!!!

5. airbarton

airbarton Formula 3

Nov 11, 2002
    Kennesaw, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Chuck Barton
    I think someone finally stumped the Liberals here. I notice no one has managed a response to that wonderful post of yours. As much as I enjoy these intense exchanges somehow this time the silence just feels good! Nice job! Tifosi69 if it is ok with you I would like to email a copy of the post to my Father-in-law. I know he will love it

6. rcallahan

rcallahan F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 15, 2002
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Bob Callahan

OK, I'll respond to Tifosi69.

I went to public school. Maybe 90% or more of us on this board went to public schools. I seem to be OK. I have a Ferrari. I like public schools.

As far as the inheritance tax, in most cases there was NO taxes paid by anyone. If a person owened stocks or property that increased in value and he then sold it, he would have to pay capital gains on the differance. Since this person died why should his children (who never worked for the windfall inheritance) not pay some tax? If I give you a million dollars (that you did not work for) you would be happy and pay the tax on the gift. Yet if your father, or your Aunt or anyone else leaves you money that you did not earn you feel that these taxes are unfair. Just my humble opinion.

Bob

7. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    My turn...

Public schools are not nearly as bad as you think. Vouchers may work in some places but are rife for abuse. Example here in Texas where bushy tried out this flawed system before taking it on the road. There are some wonderfully successful examples of how it can work the only problem is that some of the most ardent Voucher Vultures are out there profiting by providing a level of education that makes public look like Harvard. The ones who seem to feed most off this are some of the religious zealots who decide their kiddy ain't a gonna learn none of that EEEevooolution. and other things like that. It is not really the rich private schools that I have the problem with it is the editorialization of the curriculum that is bound to happen when you take it out of a public forum.

The main issue with the private / public is that you end up creating people who have an elitist view like you have just shown tifosi .. with lines like "Ignorance is their power base." and things you could not possibly have any clue about due to your "I went to private school" privilege.
    REALLY?! than you would not have any experience with the education you can get in public school. Just assumptions.
    Aside from the education the best thing you can gain from public education is that you learn how to deal in the real world not some artificially insulated ivy incrusted tomb where it is 1950 all year.
    I would bet that by making some of these claims in an open forum you would have been done a disservice being sent to private school because "Ignorance is their power base." would have gotten you "ahem, Attitudinally Adjusted out back..."

8. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i don't think tifosi said that all public school graduates were useless. obviously a great many people went to public school who are now positive contributors to society.

as to the death tax. well to originally buy those stocks or property, that person did so with post-tax money, so tax was paid once already.

you say then that those who inherit should pay some kind of tax because they haven't earned that money. i can see your point to an extent, but can just as easily argue that the government didn't 'earn' it either so why do they
    then get to dip in a second time?

and before all you libs flame me about 'the govt providing the stable environment for investors to flourish' argument, remember that the govt did not take that initial investment risk either. and if the investment had gone belly up they would not have cared one bit or given that person much of a break on taxes (if any) either.

so why should the spoils of that risk taking investor go to the government for a second pass? sorry just don't care to give them that free ride.

9. airbarton

airbarton Formula 3

Nov 11, 2002
    Kennesaw, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Chuck Barton
    My childrens inheritance is not a gift, it is a birth right! I also attended public school (wish my parents would have had the resources to send me to private school) as a result It took me much longer to get were I am in life. I love these people that know nothing whatsoever about the differences between the two, that want to make comments like this. I just happen to be very good friends with the head of our local school board and even she acknowledges the fact that the kids that attend the school my son goes to are miles ahead of the rest. I don't care what you say, there is absolutly no comparison between the level of education the public schools give and the level my son gets. If there were I would not need to send him there! My son is only 5 years old and attends pre-k at the Walker School in Marrietta Georgia he is already way ahead of most 1st graders in public school. I challenge anyone on this site to prove to me that the public schools can keep up with Walkers record! If you somehow manage to do this then I will gladly concede this argument. Have at it!

10. airbarton

airbarton Formula 3

Nov 11, 2002
    Kennesaw, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Chuck Barton
    1st of all my sons school is not a religious school and they do not editorialize the material. In fact if anything they expand on it. 2nd I do have experience with the public schools so I guess that makes me qualified to make a judgment call on this one, would you agree! 3rd I am glad our children are insulated from the crap that goes on in public schools, that is part of why we send them there. If it is ok with you I don't want my son learning to become a crack dealer or some sort of gang punk or any of the other menu of things now going on in the public schools! I am sure that that comment will offend those that have children in public school, if so I am sorry as it is not my intention. I would also venture to say that many of them wish thay could put thier kids in private school and are just as concerned about the state of affairs that exist in them now.

11. airbarton

airbarton Formula 3

Nov 11, 2002
    Kennesaw, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Chuck Barton
    Thank you Ross! I can use all the help I can get here as I am not as good as Tifosi69 at putting my thoughts down on paper. Maybe thats because he is a product of the private school system and I a product of the public schools!

12. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Hold on..I'm cracking my knuckles...OK I'm ready. Bob, first of all, how old are you? I would hazard to guess if you graduated prior to 1990 and graduated public high school in a decent area then yes, you received a decent education. You are missing my point. The not-so-alarmist trend I stated is a point of FACT, not opinion. Go online to any state's website and look up the standardized test scores of that states high school so-called graduates in the last 15-20 years, they HAVE been steadily declining into the toilet. FACT. Talk to the dean of admissions at ANY college or university, public or private, and they will tell you that the average college freshman spends the first year to year and a half taking courses that are tantamount to REMEDIAL classes because they learned not a ******* thing in high school...that is also FACT. They are LEARNING how to read and write for heavens sakes, when the get to COLLEGE!! The AVERAGE college freshman has absolutely no mastery of the English language whatsoever, cannot spell at all, and is spending his freshman year learning simple mathematics.. FACT. They are too busy "getting their groove on", making sure "it's all good" and "finizzling their minnizle" with Snoop Dog. Do not get me wrong, I too had fun in college, partied a lot and liked the ladies. However, I also graduated magna cum laude on the dean's list with 2 degrees because I applied myself (I am not bragging, simply attempting to make a point). These facts are born out across both gender and racial lines, as well as socio-economic lines, so let me quash that argument before you even attempt to bring it up. This is not a white or a black thing; nor is it a rich or poor thing. Harvard also has a lot of these remedial classes, as do ALL the Ivy League schools. These educators are spending 25-40% of their time taking kids who are in college and teaching them, in many instances for the first time, the very BASICS. So, while I do not doubt Bob that you did "turn out alright" the majority are not. Ask any employer, most kids coming OUT of college today, unless they are trained in a specific discipline (medicine, law, engineering) are not that much better off than they were when they went IN to college. That's why today's undergrad degree is, in many instances, not worth the paper it's printed on.

Issue #2: if you believe "As far as the inheritance tax, in most cases there was NO taxes paid by anyone" then I am sorry to inform you that you are sadly mistaken and misinformed. First of all, let me add this caveat: while I am no estate planning attorney, nor do I have any formal legal training, I do deal with these issues almost daily in my business; there have been so many taxes paid along the way to an asset being part of an estate it is a JOKE. EXAMPLE: your parents own a home all their lives and upon their death it is left to you as part of their estate. The house is owned free and clear. I guess you do not include the property taxes, both state and local, that were paid by them for 20-30-40-50 years, as being "taxed?" How do you figure that? Capital gains notwithstanding, the taxes were paid, all along the way, during their ownership of the property, and the same is true for income-producing investment properties they might have owned and left to you. If your parents estate is valued at say, $5 million, and that is everything, cash, stocks, bonds, real properties, receivables, other hard assets like cars and boats, etc. Uncle Sam wants up to 60% ($3 million) (provided they were stupid enough to NOT do any estate planning and shelter anything) That is unequivocal THEFT, pure and simple; Uncle Sam should change his name to Uncle Vito and drive a Cadillac around to collect his vig !! (I can say that, I'm Italian)LOL !! Nevertheless, it is a shakedown. The IRS should have a RICO investigation launched against them. The cash portion of the estate was taxed, in many instances, up to 3 times, when it was earned, depending upon where they resided when the money was earned (example: if you live ANYWHERE in the state of Michigan but your business is headquartered in Detroit, you owe not only tax to the state, to the fed, but ALSO to the City of Detroit, at a reduced rate, according to what portion of your income was derived from your business in the city) PATHETIC !! Stocks and bonds, same issue. The capital gains taxes were paid in many instances, if they chose to not let it ride and withdrew the money. Then, after they pay all these taxes on their income and they decide to contribute to the economy by buying a new car, with the LITTLE BIT they have left in their pocket, they get ad volorum, tag fees, usage fees and a bunch of other BS fees, rammed down their throats. In the state of Georgia I pay an average of about $500-600 EVERY single year, to get a new tag sticker. Now, as the years go buy and the car gets older, it's estimated ad volorum value will drop, as will the tag fee, but still, it's a shakedown John Gotti and Tony Soprano would be envious of. I could disect each and every asset attached to an estate and SHOW you where the taxes were paid, and then some, many times over, before someone dies.

No offense intended, but your money "giveaway" analogy is not cogent and does not hold water.

13. airbarton

airbarton Formula 3

Nov 11, 2002
    Kennesaw, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Chuck Barton
    God I love you guys! I am so envious of your ability to explicate your position. It is a true testiment to the quality of our private schools.

14. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Whoa, writerguy, I thought we were copacetic? I did NOT say everyone who votes dem is ignorant.. merely that by keeping a vast preponderance of their electorate (core voters) DOWN, in menial, low-paying, many-times unionized, jobs, they continue to fester that "the man's got me down, the rich get richer, I can't get ahead because no one will let me" blah, blah, blah drivel. And then who rides in on their white horse to rescue the day? John Kerry, talking about how "I will repeal the tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans so that everyone pays their FAIR SHARE" bull shat, all the while NOT drawing attention to the fact that his wife is heir to the Heinz ketchup fortune, and he and she are exactly the peoplehe supposedly loathes for "taking advantage of the tax code" P--U--L--E--E--Z--E!!
    Wrong again, I did not live in a bubble. I had friends from all over, all races and socio-economic backgrounds (I am an equal-ooportunity offender) and dated girls from public schools, had friends in public schools, and went to college with public school graduates. And you could tell, just by talking to many people, from their vocabulary, the way they handled themselves, their basic mastery of how to speak the Queen's English, how important education was, or was NOT, to them....[/QUOTE]

Let em' try, I weigh 220 pounds and they will have quite a fight on their hands. LOL

15. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Correct, I did not.

Thank you.

Unless you are Chrysler, or Delta, or United, or American Airlines.

16. mfennell70

mfennell70 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    Inheritance tax: I have always been under the impression that the point was to try to prevent the rise of an aristocratic superclass.

Public vs. Private: you guys know that private school teachers make less money, right? According to a headmaster at a private school (friend of an aquaintance thing) the primary difference between private and public schools is that people who are involved parents send their kids to private schools, where they interact with other children of involved parents. It's not the teachers, the facilities, etc., it's the parents. I have to wonder how good these educations would become if private schools were inhabited by exactly the same kids as today's public schools.

17. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    For Frogman: God bless you, you are doing God's work !!!

18. airbarton

airbarton Formula 3

Nov 11, 2002
    Kennesaw, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Chuck Barton
    You are quite right about parental involvement at private schools. In fact the school my son goes to requires a certain amount of it in order for our children to continue to attend. Your statement helps our case by pointing out one of the major problems with public schools. That is they are are just subsidzed baby sitting for disconected, uninvolved parents that probably shouldn't have had kids in the first place. These are not the kind of people I want my kids asscociated with. I would also beg to differ that our teachers are paid less and that the facilities are not a factor. I would bet you know nothing what so ever about private schools and that is why you say that. The fact is we have the best facilities available and some of the best paid teachers in the state. I would invite you to tour our school and see what you will say then. As far as your statement about inheritance tax is concerned. I would point out that this is suppose to be the land of the free. As such the whole point is to be able to build such a dynasty if one so desires. Everyone in this country has the right to do so. The only stopping them is them. I would bet Carl marx would have loved your statement.

19. airbarton

airbarton Formula 3

Nov 11, 2002
    Kennesaw, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Chuck Barton
    Nice work Frogman!

20. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    OOPS... I missed this earlier... well said Robin (Masters?) LOL !! The only thing I find exception to is I do not believe Bush is a "tax and spender" but rather, he is "acting" (where so many of his neutered Democratic predecessors and bretheren have been unable to do so) in response to the problems at hand. Had 9/11/01 never happened, the lib/pinko/leftist/Marxist/socialist dems would have none of these budgetary issues to gripe about, nor would those on the right that are either too stupid, or too niave, too see what is going on, be able to complain either. These so-called "big-government" initiatives Bush is undertaking are merely a "response/reaction" to the current dangerous climate. Do you really think if the WTC was still standing we would have spent billions to re-vamp airport security, bail-out the airlines, hire more federal employees, etc? Nice try liberals...I don't think so.. you are the party of throwing good money after bad. All-in-all though, well said Robin.

21. airbarton

airbarton Formula 3

Nov 11, 2002
    Kennesaw, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Chuck Barton
    I second that Robin!

22. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Hey airbarton...I guess we silenced those commie, pinko, socialist, left-wing, I hate America, Hillary Clinton lovers AGAIN!! High-Five!!!

23. Slim

Slim Formula 3

Oct 11, 2001
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    richard
    I'm sorry but this is not the best way to describe the difference between public and private, because some private schools involve no parents while some public schools do.

Some public schools even require parent participation. My son attended such a public elementary school in Pacifica, California. There is a waiting list to get into this school and kids are admitted via lottery each year. Parents taught art, music, sports, and other topics that the school district could no longer afford to fund. Parents organized the yearly "oceans week" curriculum where students learned hands on things about their local animals and environment. Parents drove on field trips because the school district could not afford to pay for buses anymore. I would put that school up against any private school in the nation. (why the hell did we move away from there???!!!) Of course the school district could have afforded all these things if property tax rates weren't held back by prop-13. Even average folks were living in $500k+ houses but paying taxes on sub $100k values. In other words, the people of the town had become quite wealthy while the city itself was dying fiscally.

Why was this school able to have this level of parental involvement? Because most of the families were wealthy enough to be able to spare some time. Many, if not most, of the mothers didn't have to work, and many of us dads also had flexible work schedules. That's where the difference lies in education: wealth. It's not that private schools are better because they are private, so much as private schools are better because they have bigger budgets and their parents have more money and time.

Poor people can't spare as much time to be involved in their children's education because they have to work all day at physically exhausting jobs just to feed their kids and kids who are poor have more health and nutrition problems that interfere with their learning. Those of us who work mainly with our minds, and make more money and have more independence, and are well educated ourselves, find it easy to be involved in our kids' education, and the kids are in a daily home environment that is more conducive to learning. Right now, for example, my wife and I are home-schooling our 8 year old because our country home puts us in the zone of an absolutely terrible school populated by poor folks who live on the north side of the town nearest us.

Therefore, the problems with the public school system are closely tied to wealth of the families it serves and the budget it has to work with. (of course a $10k a year private school is going to be better than a public school. And it'd better be - after all, they have twice as much per student to work with in hiring and facilities).

-Slim
    (public education through BA - or does my spelling give that away?)

24. airbarton

airbarton Formula 3

Nov 11, 2002
    Kennesaw, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Chuck Barton
    That has to be the single biggest line of crap I have ever heard! 1st of all if you guys are that involved you could have done all of that on your own. You could all get together and pool your resorces and build your own school. When our school needs something we all get together and fund it! so don't give me that bull that if they hadn't cut taxes you would still have it! Everything you mentioned can be done privately. BTW I am from LA and am quite familiar with the real estate situation out there. The fact is if all the bone head investors had not done so much speculating over the years your property values would be were they should be! It is quite clear to me that you just don't get it! Second, when I stop laughing over your second statement I would say if you can't afford kids don't have them! I come from a very humble background. My father is a carpenter who worked his ass off his entire life. He had four children and even though he was worn out at the end of the day he still somehow managed to muster the strength to spend time with his kids so don't give me that oh woa is me crap! It is not my personal responsibility to take care of your kids as well as mine! I waited until I was in a position to afford to take care of my kids before I had them. I suppose personal responsibility isn't something they teach in your neck of the woods. Why is it that the liberals think it is ok to have them and let the rest of society pay for them? Once again I would say that you just don't get it! At this point I have completely tired of this converstion as it has become apparent that no amount of reason or common sense will ever get you guys to see the simple truths here. I think I will retire and leave this to some of my more capable counterparts before I loose my temper. Good day.

25. Slim

Slim Formula 3

Oct 11, 2001
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    richard
    Sure we could. I'm involved in just such a thing right now by homeschooling my kid and associating with a group of 100 other kids' parents who have formed a "school" and where my son gets some classroom environment twice a week for classes like drama, art, spanish, math, karate, music, etc.

You can. I can. But can the average person in poorer communities afford to do so? No. I know you feel they just shouldn't have had kids. But hey, **** happens. There will always be poor people with kids. Since our economic system requires there to be poor people (willing to work for low wages), then it's just a given. So complaining about their existence and insulting them gets us nowhere. They exist and always will. You just need to decide what is better for our society: helping to pay for their education so that you have good workers and people not tied to a life of crime, or not.

Was it speculating or simply supply and demand response to wanting to live on a beautiful coastline? There's only so much land out here you know...

This is where you get in to ridiculous personal attacks by using "you" this and "you" that, none of which have anything to do with me. For the record, I can afford my kids, I do participate in their education (homeschool for god's sake!), I am not saying "oh whoa is me", I don't feel it's your responsibility to take care of my kids, etc. I have no idea what you are talking about!!

And why is that conservatives are endlessly whining about being asked to help provide a good life for all, asked to kick in a few bucks that is not going to hurt them one bit? I mean, damn, since i had to pay school taxes, I had to buy the 40' boat instead of the 45', whoa is me! How can they turn their backs on a child just because that child should have its needs met by its own parents? Heck, I'm not complaining about paying taxes and I pay them out of income that is much more needed than the really wealthy need their second billion.

Like i've said, I can understand those who don't mind contributing to our collective pool of money but simply disagree on how best to spend it, but I just can't understand people who think they should be allowed to live on their own, taking advantage of society, without paying for the benefits they receive. Some of those benefits come from what appears on the surface to be providing help to other people, but they come back around to benefit us all: perhaps educating someone who would have otherwise mugged us, perhaps educating someone who goes on to find a cure for the disease that will inflict us, perhaps keeping someone healthy so they don't spread sicknesses that reaches our families, and so on...

Why should we wealthier folks pay more than others pay? For at least two reasons. First, we can afford to do so. It's all coming our of our discretionary income. Secondly, because we have more to lose. We need a civilized society more than others. It's always made perfect sense to me and I never understood the desire to hoard discretionary wealth and not share it with others. What could be a better way to spend my money than in feeding a hungry child or teaching him something?