Reputable independent mechanic, Seattle area | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Reputable independent mechanic, Seattle area

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by whatheheck, Sep 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    #26 2000 456M, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
    A big Plus 1 on everyone's recommendation of Craig and the Jag Shop. He's been taking care of my car for six years. He stands behind his work and is extremely fair in his pricing. I've been Very happy.

2. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Very good point.

Thanks!

Dan

3. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    The quote from FoS does not include sales tax.

So yes good point. I would be close to $9K after sales tax is added, then back to $8K after FCA discount.

Dan

4. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks Michael and Allan for the info.

Update:
    I talked to Craig today. He seems to be a really nice guy.

He said he has done a few 360 clutches, and although he doesnt own an SD3 he does have a "Leonardo" which is an equivalent machine.

He promised to eMail me a written detailed quote tomorrow.

Just like all of you, dealer is always a great place to go but they charge such high premium so I am exploring other options as $10K is a lot of money for me.

Thanks again to everyone for all the great info.

Dan

5. Sled Driver

Sled Driver Formula Junior

May 13, 2010
    Stokesdale, NC
    Full Name:
    Emery
    I wouldn’t shop by the lowest price…. it’s not uncommon to quote a low price, then call you with the “bad news” that you need to spend more $$$. Since your car is in pieces you can’t take it anywhere else to get a second opinion.

I understand you’ve already paid $$ to get your car in order. People always say to get a good PPI, but in the end there is no standard. Every car has hidden faults that take time to surface.

I had FOS change my clutch last year & I am very satisfied. They quote a realistic price so you don’t get any “surprises”.

You want peace of mind? 2 year warranty on parts & labor? FOS goes the extra mile. They do a complete job, quickly & right the 1st time.
    If you have a later mod TCU they’ll fine tune the engagement (PIS) with numerous test drives & give you the option on how abrupt the clutch engages.

You cut corners, reuse old parts & set the PIS to the default setting. If you have any issues with the install, you’ll be paying twice for the labor.

6. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for chiming in.

No cutting corners here. Never have, never will.

FoS has been maintaining my car since the day I bought it so I am very familiar with their great workmanship, warranty and excellent customer service. No complaints.

Just shopping around just like most smart shoppers do, and only with reputable establishments.

Thanks again.

Dan

7. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I'm not sure you read the prior posts. No "cutting corners" or "surprise pricing" by going to Craig. I've got plenty of piece of mind with going to him. As a matter of fact, more so than going to a dealer, but I won't get into that here.

8. Monza 456

Monza 456 Karting

Sep 15, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Craig Nelson
    First of all, thanks to all of my loyal customers for all the great recommendations, you guys are great.

I worked up an estimate for your clutch job on your 360. I don’t really give a price range because I feel that it’s always important to do the throw out bearing and clutch position sensor as part of the job, especially on a car with over 10k miles. My estimate would be comparable to a dealers high range of estimate.
    I use factory Ferrari clutch assy. and sensor and use Hill engineering throw out bearings which are better than Ferrari. I have all of the equipment and tooling and factory training do the job correctly.
    The total price including parts, labor and machine work would be 7100.00

Thanks and hope we can do this repair for you.

Craig Nelson
    The Jag Shop 503-731-9919

9. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Craig / Monza 456 is indeed an outstanding guy based on what I read here and my conversations with him.

Thanks to everyone that have chimed in, and thanks Craig for providing a quote within a day of my inquiry. Amazing customer service as I can only imagine how busy you are.

I have 3 quotes already and they are very close to one another. I will enjoy driving my car for now, enjoy the last few sunny days here in Seattle and I will most likely make my decision soon and have my clutch replaced in a couple of months.

Dan

10. Dryfly

Dryfly Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2012
    Seattle area
    Please PM me for another option.
    Brian

11. igor

igor Karting

Dec 27, 2010
    Is the clutch replacement the same cost wise for a gated manual 360? If anyone knows.

12. Monza 456

Monza 456 Karting

Sep 15, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Craig Nelson
    Your Clutch at The Jag Shop would be 5800.00 It's less than F1 because there's not a bunch of time involved programming and setting up PIS and there is no clutch position sensor needed.

13. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for chiming in Craig.

Now I understand why some members here chime in and say their clutch job only cost them $5K. It appears F1 clutch job is about $1,500.00 more compared to a manual transmission.

Dan

14. igor

igor Karting

Dec 27, 2010
    Thanks for the reply. That doesn't seem bad at all.

15. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Was speaking with FOS yesterday about a possible purchase and they gave me a rough estimate of $4500 for a 3-pedal clutch, provided the ring gear campaign had been completed. About $2k more if not.

16. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for sharing infor Jim.

Dan

17. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    I know I am resurrecting an old thread, but for those looking for independent Ferrari service in the Seattle area: I understand that Group 2 Motorsports in Magnolia/Ballard now employs a Ferrari factory trained technician and has a Leonardo: Group 2 Motorsports

18. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    My 308 is at Prova Motorsports getting a suspension rebuild. Chris at Prova used to be at Group 2.

19. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    You big chicken. Thought you were gonna tackle it yourself? ;)

You're getting bushings and everything done at the same time though right? It'll drive like a different car.

20. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    No kidding... I just got realistic with myself and thought with the Alfa project, 2 kids, and working full time I would get... oh, a half hour a week to dedicate to it. No way it would get done.

Yes, doing everything: shocks, springs, A-arm bushings, a couple ball joints, new stainless brake lines, steering rack bushings, tires, alignment and corner balancing....

Full tilt!

21. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    You will love it!!

22. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Add steering rack bushings.

I know, I'm so psyched!! I'll let you know when it's done....

23. uɐɔn˥

uɐɔn˥ Rookie

Oct 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    A lucan
    Most of the work performed on mine has been at Prancing Horse.
    And with the USD to CAD exchange there's a discount built in automatically.

http://prancinghorseinc.ca/

whatheheck likes this.
  24. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for the info.

Dan

25. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Just want to provide an update to this.

FoS ended up replacing the clutch on my 2003 360 Spider and they did a great job.
    Eric the service manager worked with me on pricing and I walked away happy with the job they did & happy with the total price.
    With the 10% FCA discount their price is good.

I sold my 360 3 years ago and now have an F430 Spider.
    Been taking my F430 to Ferrari of Seattle for service and Im always happy with their workmanship, customer service, and 10% FCA discount.

FYI, recently I decided to try Group 2 Motorsports.
    Summary:
    They are just OK in my opinion. Their pricing is 10% less than Ferrari of Seattle but with FCA discount, the prices is pretty much the same.
    Plus FoS gives me a ride home from Seattle to Everett both ways. Group 2 does not. That alone is $150 round trip for me.
    Pascuale Ferrari of Seattle owner even picked me up from work and took me back to his dealership when its time to pick up my car after service.
    That was an honor and it was great talking to him driving back.

So FoS will continue to get my business.

And since I have built & established relationship with FoS most likely it will not be difficult to request a visit at Ferrari Factory when I go to Italy again next year.

Dan