Reputation of STL Motorsports in St. Louis ? | FerrariChat

Reputation of STL Motorsports in St. Louis ?

Discussion in 'Midwest - USA (NE, KS, OK, MO, AR)' started by finnerty, Oct 2, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Already posted this in the "General Discussion" section, but no responses. So, I thought I'd through it out to you local boys.....

Does anyone have any experience with this facility ?
    What is the general opinion of their ability to do Ferrari service ?

A buddy of mine is considering taking his 360 there for service.

2. a7xbass94

a7xbass94 Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2010
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I do not have personal experience, but am friends with the owner of the dealer. They are a top Ferrari service facility and they have top of the line equipment and many skilled mechanics. They have high standards for who they hire and all feedback I have heard from people has been good. The dealership has around 15 lifts I believe. If you want more info, I would recommend posting this on the STL Spotters' thread because most of STLs owners are on there.

3. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    A number of the local FCA chapter members use STL Motorsports for their work. I am not hearing any complaints about the quality.

Jeff

4. Indigo

Indigo Karting

Dec 13, 2004
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I've heard mixed reviews on them. The last I heard is they were down to only one certified Ferrari mechanic though.

Another option is GLB Motorworks on Big Bend. Talk to Bob, they will give you faster and more affordable service then STL Motorsports. Just don't make your decision on how many lifts a shop has....

5. Akram

Akram Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2009
    Clive, Iowa
    Full Name:
    Ray Salloum
    Tell me more about GLB Motorworks. Where are the located and what does GLB stand for? Do they have SD 2 and 3 readers with Ferrari Software? Can you give me an example of better pricing? If a cluth job is $6000.00 at STL Motorsports what would GLB charge? Thank You, Ray

6. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    For the newer cars not sure if anyone around here except STL Motorsports has the electronic diagnostic equipment. For the older cars some of the people use:

GLB
    Reid Vann
    Le Stable - Edwardsville, IL (Prugna's shop)

Jeff

7. fat cab

fat cab Formula Junior

May 20, 2006
    ST.LOUIS,MO
    Full Name:
    tim c
    here you go.
    http://www.glbmotorworks.com/

8. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    FWIW, my experiences with Reid Vann were not very good. several callbacks, some hackneyed repairs, etc.

Reid hasn't turned a wench in years and I don't have much faith in their current techs (Parktown had to fix a Reid Vann mistake more than once).

9. Indigo

Indigo Karting

Dec 13, 2004
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Call Bob over at GLB 314-645-4515

He'll be able to give you all of your answers.

10. CFCARRIAGE

CFCARRIAGE Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2006
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I have my Mondial t at STL motorsports right now. I dropped it today. I had a door latch issue and I want to try thier general maintenance services.

I'll let you know how my experience goes when its over.... It didnt start all that well as I never got a call back from them to make an appt. The pres of the FCA chapter here, called the service manager's personal cell on Sunday after the parade and I dropped it today. Tim was pleasant and apologetic for the lack of communication.

The jury is still out on the other service advisor mike! I looked at the back of his head the whole time I was there as he was on his computer the whole time.

Not to sound old but it seems there is a general lack of politeness/manners or basic social skills (the "in person" kind / not e-life) in a large segment of younger people these days. Just grumbling ....

I have used GLB in the past and was satisfied with their service.

11. champagne612

champagne612 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Mar 28, 2009
    I use GLB all the time - perfection!

I use STL all the time - not so much!

12. zxttfan

zxttfan Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2009
    St. Louis
    There is an early Mondial cab at GLB right now-maybe the one listed on Craigslist awhile back-but maybe a possible new member too?

13. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #13 finnerty, Dec 23, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
    I'm going to close out this thread that I started.......now that I have seen, first hand, some recent examples of STL's service work on Ferrari's.

I would not recommend having them perform work on your Ferrari ----- In fact, I hope FNA gets around to pulling their (STL's) authorization in the very near future.

"Careless", "inept", and "unprofessional" are the words that come to mind. I don't relish chastising a Ferrari service center so harshly ---- but, I truly believe my criticism is justified here.

14. fat cab

fat cab Formula Junior

May 20, 2006
    ST.LOUIS,MO
    Full Name:
    tim c
    good thing you asked here!!

15. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #15 finnerty, Dec 23, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
    Well, I wish we would have had more response (to this thread) before the car was taken there ---- timing is everything. Some commented on poor communication, etc., but not much on their ability to actually do the work.

My gripe is with exactly that. I can tolerate poor communication and customer attention, so long as the work is done right.

It's their (STL's) ability to diagnose and actually do the repairs that left me seriously disappointed (make that "disgusted") ---- they simply don't know what the hell they are doing ----- especially on the more modern Ferrari's.

16. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    BTW, Tim is gone as of last Friday --- don't know if it was his idea to leave or STL's --- but, he is no longer with the organization.

17. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    David, sorry for your troubles but it is what it is.

STL Motorsports got the Ferrari Service deal in "hopes" of getting a franchise. obviously that's not in the cards anymore (heck, with all the recent franchise additions they wouldn't have place to put it anyway). I imagine the days of STL Ferrari Service are numbered.

18. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Yep ---- live and learn and move on.

The only reason I'm posting about this is so that perhaps someone else here can benefit from our bad luck, and avoid having a bad experience of their own :).

There are several independent shops around more locally that are okay for little things. But, next time we will definitely be taking the Ferrari's to Continental, Lake Forest, or Ferrari of Denver for anything that requires major service attention.

19. Indigo

Indigo Karting

Dec 13, 2004
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Dan
    This is one of the reasons I recommended GLB. Smaller shop = better communication. Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

20. bkniep

bkniep Karting

Dec 31, 2008
    St Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Bill Kniep
    I wish I understaod the GLB guys better. I hear nice things from a couple people on this board, but they have been so rude to me on 2 separate occasions and so dishonest on pricing of some cars they were selling that it really soured me on them.
    I use Reid Vann and really like them a lot for my 355. They consistently go above and beyond for me and though they know Porsche better than Ferrari, I think they're a good choice for everyday matters.

21. cesmorris

cesmorris Rookie

May 9, 2010
    I believe the GLB stands for the names of two of the sons, Gary and Bob, and the Dad's first name.