Resaturant Recommendation - Dallas | FerrariChat

Resaturant Recommendation - Dallas

Discussion in 'Texas' started by worth it, Sep 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. worth it

worth it Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2002
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    David C.
    I am in need of a restaurant near the Convention center. Here are the particulars:

Exhibiting at the Dallas convention center - staying at the Adams Mark Hotel approximately 10 blocks away from the convention center.

Not planning on renting a car - Will use a taxi if required but hoping to walk if possible.

Dinner meeting with a group from Korea

Usually have good luck with Asian style food as they appreciate eating food that looks like "home" - No animal jokes please. dog, cat, etc..ha-ha

Does not need to be expensive just good. They are not all about how nice the place looks. This is a casual meeting as we already have a business relationship and do not need to impress each other.

Any suggestions for this casual meal is appreciated. Japanese or Korean style is safe, open to all suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

David C

2. Cicero

Cicero Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    search the D Magazine site as they have good listings.
    http://www.dmagazine.com/restaurant.asp

Are you wanting to eat in downtown or can they take a cab etc somewhere else? There are good Asian Fusion and Korean restaurants listed, but not in downtown.

Perhaps Jeroboam downtown would be good choice. Not asian, but hip and good food and a fchat member is a coowner. $$-$$$

Or maybe try some mexican while in Texas?
    $-$$ Monica's in Deep Ellum is good and lots of pretty neon lights and night clubs etc. Any $-$$ Mi Cocina is good, but closest one is highland park village (rodeo drive type area). Or $ Matt's Ranchero in Lakewood.

3. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Oooh, didn't know they hat a Matt's up in big D.

Only one recommendation here: Fogo de Chao on 4300 Belt Line Road up in Addison (972)503-7300. You'll need to cab it up there, but it's worth it if you think your guests like meat, especially Brasilian food, this is the place to go. But don't expect it to be too cheap either. Last time I was there, we only had four people at the table and it came to just over $250 before tip. Not all bills are that high, but we drank quite a bit. There's no menu and only one price for the food, which is approximately $38 bucks a pop for dinner + drinks.

4. Speed Racerette

Speed Racerette Formula 3

May 24, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    She wants Revenge
    Good japanese food is only a short cab ride away. There is a place on the east side of downtown in Deep Elm district called Deep Sushi on Elm Street. Cooked japanese food as well as sushi. No reservation needed - 7 to 10 minutes by cab.

Second choice is down the freeway a few exits in the Knox/Henderson area and Hwy 75 called Tete Robata. Bigger selection of cooked japanese food also services sushi. Must make a reservation. - 10 to 15 minutes by cab.

I work downtown very close to the hotel you are staying at...don't think you will find anything decent within walking distance.

5. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Frances got it almost right, but the restaurant is named Tei Tei. Ask Takuya, the host, and Yoshi from Dallas send you guys, and he should treat you right. W/ alcohol, you're looking at $20-30 per person. Phone number 214-828-2400. Ask for direction.

If you want to go home cooking Korean, there's Seoul Garden. Nothing fancy, and will cost about $100 for 5-6 people w/ beers. It is family managed, and can accomodate many people as they have a separate room.
    It is off 35E at Royal, and go toward east on Royal for about 1/4 mile. It's on your right in the plaza. Only problem is that English sign is small, and Korean sing is bigger so be careful. Convenient store w/ gas is in this plaza. It'll take less than 20 minutes, but people who're hungry for their homeland food should be happy.

There are few more good Korean restaurants, but they are usually small & only accomodate 30-40 people in total, and some of them are not located in convenient location.

6. lonnierad

lonnierad Guest

Jul 20, 2004
    Carrollton, TX
    Full Name:
    Lonnie Radford
    Nick and Sam's in Uptown (Maple and Oak Lawn) would be my pic if you want to make a great impression.

http://www.nickandsams.com

Fabulous wine selection and the macaroni-and-cheese is heavenly. Hey, I don't care if I am eating Filet, if there is Mac-n-Cheese on the menu, it's gonna be on my table for dinner!

Lonnie

7. icars

icars Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2002
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney Haas
    For good Japanese you simply cannot beat Masami. Naoshi opened the first Sushi bar in Dallas, one of the first in Texas. 75 & Beltline about 3 blocks West on the South Side.

I agree fully on Seoul Garden, for a really good time do table cooking. Great for a few close friends. They bring you hot coals to cook over. I would highly recommend them for a nice night out, nothing to fancy but most definitely a good time.

8. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Rodney, I would recommended Masami & Sushi Sake, too, but it's little far from the downtown. That's why I didn't mention. Just played golf w/ Noashi, and he looked really good. He lost quite bit of weight, and playing heck of golf winning recent tournamentS.

9. worth it

worth it Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2002
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    David C.
    Thanks for the suggestions. You are making the decision difficult.

I expect the group to be a total of 8-10 people, not huge.

I am hopeful that most of these places will take a reservation as no one wants to wait after a long day of working in the booth at the show.

The emphasis is really on good Asian style food. The more family style the better. This eliminates the need for everyone to stay so formal. Casual is best for this meal.

It also sounds like we will need to take a cab to get anywhere. Not a big deal.

It sounds like Tei Tei or Seoul Garden are in the lead. I am a little concerned that Seoul Garden will appear that we are going a little to casual if it is located in a "strip center". Should I worry about this.

Truly apprecaite the help.

David C.

10. Speed Racerette

Speed Racerette Formula 3

May 24, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    She wants Revenge
    Tei Tei is 3.5 miles from where you are staying (6-10 minute ride). Seoul Garden is 11.6 miles away from you (20-30 minutes away depending upon traffic at rush hour on I-35). Tei-Tei is a less casual atmosphere than Seoul Garden - definitely appropriate for business casual function. Seoul Garden is very very casual.

It depends upon your time flexibility. Food will be great at either place.

Have fun!