Reserved parking space vigillante | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Reserved parking space vigillante

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by lukek, Jan 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    LMAO!!!! Oily salami?????? ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!

DL

2. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Holy Crap Luke, are you serious? Does your parking garage have security cameras?

3. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    That is awful. How terrible. Do you have security cameras? I hope so.

4. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    ...:(
    no security cameras, but the police did get the paint dust (put it into a little baggy). Hopefully, the guy will come into work with his keys and they can make a match, but I am not counting on it (real life is not like a CSI episode).
    The police officer was super nice. Apparently, just before he started his shift, he was watching the Barret Jackson auction on the Speed Channel. He also just picked up a 66 Mustang with 8900 miles on the clock (I used to have a 66 Fastback GT). So he was sympathetic.

I could see this happening if I stole the guy's girlfriend...but for calling him in for a parking violation?
    I also should not park in that spot now since he will key the other cars. What a looser.

thx
    luke

5. atheyg

atheyg Guest

Luke,

Is this for real? He keyed your car?

Thats really pathetic, perhaps he looked at Ferrari Chat and saw your post? Seems pretty vindictive to key your car just for a courtesy call to move his car, what a loser.

6. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Well, it seems pretty clear that it's this guy that did it. But he would have to be a REAL moron to do it so quickly. I mean, is he really dumb or something?

If it were me, I would confront the guy with a tape recorder covertly in my pocket. I would act super confident and say I KNEW it was him and that I had a witness, and tell him he can either pay to get it fixed, or you will sue and go for additional damages. Tell him if he sues, you will tell the cops the situation has been resolved and let it drop. If he caves and agrees to pay for it, you got him! Call the cops and file a civil suit too.

If he refuses and claims it was not him, just let the cops do their job - after all, you got nothing to lose, right?

And if he does refuse, I would probably jump him after work and exact some revenge of my own. But that's just me.

7. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Most people: Find another spot and get on with your life

You: Pop the car's hood and lay a fat piece of Lindberger cheese on the radiator. After about 25 miles, the smell with permiate the car so bad, the owner would have to sell it!

8. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    LukeK, that really sucks. Sorry to hear that. Mike, I was thinking the same thing. I'd find a nice little place that has no security cameras and have a little "come to Jesus" meeting.

9. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    Nah. I am getting on with my life. Bygones is supposed to the doctrine, I guess (where is that Bible, anyway?)

I will let HR and the Police handle it. Most likely, they are not going to do prove anything. I was not serious about any of the options in in the initial message. Posting was my way of venting.

One good thing, sort of...
    possibly...I can get the car repainted for the cost of the deductible (I hope I have the appropriate coverage with Hagerty). I can probably make the car even better.
    I try to be a glass half full kind of person.

10. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Based on this:

It is probably a good idea to make a public statement like this:

In 8 or 9 months....who knows where the chips may fall, eh??????

DL

11. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Keyed your car! Not cool at all!

12. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    take off his wheel nuts...on two wheels....Hell go crazy on the first turn, die in a giant accident...severe enough?

13. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    OMG!!! Your car got keyed after all this??? I think I would have a conversation with him that included a baseball bat. Explain in no uncertain terms how it works.

14. Slim

Slim Formula 3

Oct 11, 2001
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    richard
    Well, you're going to need a good reason why you drove the car to work. Perhaps you had an appointment to show the car to a potential buyer? Perhaps you were taking it to or from a mechanic that day?

Classic car insurance from companies like Hagerty is cheap because they know how the owners practically guard their cars with their lives. By comparrison, driving the car to work, getting into a confrontation by making an obvious ******* (only *******s would park in a labelled spot) move his car, and then parking your Ferrari there like a big red target doesn't sound all that safe, does it?

I'm sorry this happened to you but before you jump with joy about being able to get your car repainted, remember that it will be the rest of us who pay premiums to Hagerty who will be paying for it in the end. You should make the guy who did it pay for it instead of filing a claim.

-Slim

15. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Slow down there, buddy. He did absolutely nothing wrong, and for you to skew this around to be his fault is ludicrous. Insurance is purchased for precisely these moments.

16. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Marin Calif
    I sure hope there is a way to CSI and subpoena those keyes.

He may be just happen-stance, but you do have a suspect to look to.

But what will come of this...they suspect pays for your repaint and dimished value and then become smarter and lights the car on fire? You post the police conclusion on the company bulletin board and he's embarressed? He gets 86ed from utilizing the garage?

It is also hard to believe there is no security cameras any where in the garage for you to review and take note the time stamps on the videos.

Anyway I'll repeat the best bet is that "your" spot is labled This Spot Was Purchased from XXXX Charity Auction ....to try to stop this from happening again.

17. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    These aspects of Slims statement are true to life.

Firstly, he is basically providing the alibi for the INS (cool enough).

Secondly, even though (in a perfect world) a guy should be able to park his car anywhere and not worry about an (obviously) envious, insecure, inconsiderate, on and on...JERK keying his car....he MUST! Why do you suppose wealthy people in third world countries purchase bulletproof cars? Precaution!! Better to NOT get shot in the first place than to rely on the OR surgeon and the cops to make things right after the fact!!! Hey, I'm sorry but when you drive a Ferrari, there is a target on your back! An ounce of prevention beats a pound of cure....eh???

Fact is, insurance is there to cover it but why tempt fate in the first place? Might as well leave it running with the windows down and leave a Rolex on the shifter too...just because there's theft coverage!

Unfortunately, the truth is ALOT of people (who do not and will probaly never own a Ferrari) have SUCH disdain for those that do that a higher level of precaution must be maintained to prevent these kinds of occurrances....EVEN THOUGH IT SUCKS! No offense to Honda but if you were driving a Civic that day, this probably would not have happened!

On the other hand, we all know what John Wayne would have done!

DL

18. atheyg

atheyg Guest

I agree with Darth,

Driving a Ferrari you are a target, same with a nice Porsche etc., some losers like to key them or vandalize them just because their is an opportunity to do so, an incident such as this is just asking for it, even if you saw the guy park in your spot and walked up to him and politely asked him to move his car would be enough motivation for him to damage it for some people.

19. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    I am only likely to do a John Wayne if somebody messes with my family. Cars, or anything replaceable are for the law. I mean that is the whole thing:
    I had the urge to do something to him when he blatantly took the reserved spot. But I did not. I overcame instinct, came to my senses about the fact that this a civilized society and called the campus police to deal with it. (I also vented in this forum. A couple of people thought that I would actually post something in public and then do it, Yeah, right).
    He decided to retaliated in a premeditated way, waited a day and keyed the car. He has no restraint. Civilized society vs. jungle law.

The people at Hagerty were very understanding. Last time I drove the Ferrari was January 1st, and I just took it to work because I wanted to show it to a fellow enthusiast, and I thought it needed the exercise. I could understand the comment about "you are hiking the rates for everyone" if I were the person who left it overnight in a bad neighborhood. But I had no idea that somebody would actually key a car based on being reported to be parked illegally (tickets carry no monetary consequences at my work).

Live and learn. I will get some quotes on Monday and we will see how it goes.
    Thank you for the expressions of sympathy from the majority.

luke

20. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Leave him a note saying that, as a general courtesy, his wheel-valve stems were sent out for repairs to fix what appeared to be a leak. In appreciation for his patronage, he will not be charged for any of the work. Thank you, and have a good day.

21. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    SUGAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hehehehehehehehehe It works days after you do it and they go through money and time trying to get "it" fixed. Not that I have ever ever tried this... twice... at night... to the same guy... hehehehehehehehehehehehehehe

22. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    O, and they can't get prints off a brick!

23. saiid

saiid Karting

Jan 6, 2004
    London, UK
    Vandalising other people's cars, whatever the reason, is not acceptable. Its the action of somebody from the gutter. Leave a note or confront the offender. Its just a parking space.

24. Ontogenetik

Ontogenetik Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    more smiles ...
    Why stop there. If you are alive you are a target

and did you know that paranoia = more dangerous than zik zak zik zak at 120 ... careful - someone may hijack your body and walk it into a building

>Driving a Ferrari you are a target[/QUOTE]

indeeeeed - better place a womb around it. don't forget to be ultra SS fashionable and call it Ferrariland Security. One never never knows - with all these crrrrrrrraaaazy people from "third world" countries walking around with KEYS!!!!!! - the quintessential Ferrari terror device

25. Ontogenetik

Ontogenetik Karting

Nov 2, 2003