Resetting the ECUs- Don't forget! | FerrariChat

Resetting the ECUs- Don't forget!

Discussion in '348/355' started by whyte, May 29, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whyte

whyte Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2006
    Merritt Island, FL
    Full Name:
    John C
    Let this thread serve to remind all of that hot weather is here, and if you haven't reset your ECU lately, you might want to try this simple "tune up."

After wrestling with the occasional "click" of the starter solenoid, I spent most of the morning today cleaning all the grounds and contacts. Fortunatley, my car already had a nice ground cable running to the engine and the body, so that was a piece of cake.

Afterwards, I was still plagued by the starter not turning over interminently. Guessing it was my battery, I picked up a new one and slapped it in, then started the car and let it warm up for 10 minutes to complete the idle relearn process.

I hadn't disconnected my battery in 6 months, and after the fresh reset the car feels noticably better, both on idle and throttle response. I'm sure it was a combination of a bad battery cell putting a draw on the electrical system and the ECU reset, but just wanted to remind everyone the even something like a dieing battery and a simple ECU reset can make a noticable difference.

2. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
    I agree that the ECU reset procedure should be done, no matter what, couple times a year ...

3. Shaide

Shaide Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2008
    Las Colinas, DFW TX
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Thanks for the reminder! I think I need to add "ECU reset" to my quarterly "to do" list. With this reminder, it seems a good idea to do this with each season change. Or is this a wee bit TOO often? Would twice a year be sufficient, or no?

4. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I may be in the minority here but I think the 'effects' of an ecu relearn are largely a placebo effect.

If any learned values are 'off' and need to be re-learned they will do so whether or not the battery has been disconnected.

I am always open to the possibility of being wrong. If so, what is happening on a battery disconnect that doesn't allready happen every time you start the car?

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You are right. They are wrong.

6. Shaide

Shaide Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2008
    Las Colinas, DFW TX
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Thanks! Just needed the proper info. Much appreciated...

7. whyte

whyte Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2006
    Merritt Island, FL
    Full Name:
    John C
    Interesting. I've never looked at the schematics for the 2.7 but I assumed there was a small amount of NVRam that stored deltas between starts; I also attributed the continual low load on the battery to this.

Cool. Good to know.

I'm sure most of my issues were due to the bad battery, or some system not properly initializing when starting the car due to the voltage drop.

In any case, ran like a top again today.

8. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza

You are right on the 2.7 but some what wrong on the 2.5. Here is the kick ... My ECU's are 2.5 and it takes at least 200 miles to re-learn with seasons changing and so temperature / humidity. I drive my car an average of 100 miles a month and so it would take half summer .... and for the time is done the season changes again. Instead takes 10 minutes to re-learn and be done with it. I got this info from an old italian friend of mine, now retired, that used to work at the factory in Maranello and knows ... if he is wrong, then I am wrong. Anyway, I don't honestly think resetting the ECU's could be bad for the car at all.

9. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I have this issue too on occasion...turn the key, nada. Lights are on, battery is full charge, just a non-responsive starter. Then sometimes while the key is turned it kicks in and fires up. This used to be a cold weather problem but now creeping in to the warmer weather...seems like next step is take the solenoid out and clean / recondition that.

10. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Have you done all the basics, like cleaning the battery terminals, and the grounds at the right side of the engine compartment and at the starter?

11. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Battery is good, brand new and cleaned. I cleaned most connections during the engine out major I did 2 yrs ago, but I'll check those to the starter again before any major work.

12. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It works even better when you wear an aluminum foil hat.

13. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
    I am not going to answer this ....

14. geno355

geno355 Karting

Jul 5, 2007
    Winchester, KY
    Full Name:
    Geno Kearney
    I never type the following unless it is absolutely positively true ......

LOL

15. BeachBum

BeachBum Formula 3

Dont ask me why but resetting the 2.7 Ecu's every so offen seems to clear an accumulation of electrical glitches that develope over time.

16. sfeigin

sfeigin Rookie

Aug 9, 2007
    If you live in a US area that requires a smog check then I suspect resetting the ECU will clear the OBDII memory. If you then go for a smog test it will fail because certain checks require that the car be driven many miles following a specific, undocumented pattern. You must randomly drive that pattern before it will pass. Normal everyday driving will clear it in a few days, but if you only use the Ferrari for special occasions or long highway drives, it will never pass the smog test. I go to the trouble to use a battery conditioner to be sure my car NEVER loses electrical power.

17. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    tehehe...this is getting funny.

Imagine that...Ferrari builds an ECU that might qualify for the special olympics under a "learning disability" entry.

tehehe...

18. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Is is daylight savings time already???

19. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    #19 fatbillybob, Jun 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    #20 Llenroc, Jun 11, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
    As you know Brian we have chatted over the years on this site and I have on occasion ruined a monitor because I was drinkin' my favorite beverage (Squirt) at the same time you were showing someone the correct path to follow, well.....you owe me a monitor.

Oh.. do you recommend the restaurant grade heavier foil or is the home variety OK? "Cause my reset lights have come on in the 355 and I didn't want to hurt myself.

21. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Some here may be in the twilight zone because the 2.7 WILL reset and in some cases can make a world of a difference.

22. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Pass the foil.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

23. redzone

redzone Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 31, 2007
    Beach
    Full Name:
    John
    #23 redzone, Jun 12, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
    My 348 also had the click but not start. After checking all connections, load testing battery, bench testing starter, etc it had the same problem. My thought was there could be a voltage drop due to resistance causing the solenoid not to engage. Unless you can check the problem with 2 people, 1 turning the key & the other with a voltmeter to check it’s difficult to isolate. What I wound up doing was making a standalone start button using an old horn button from my MOMO wheel. When the problem occurred I left the key in the ON position, connected 1 wire to the solenoid, the other to the starter, and then hit the button, THE CAR STARTED, therefore eliminating the starter,solenoid, & voltage to the starter.
    I now knew that there was insufficient power to the solenoid causing the issue. I then removed the steering column cover & found loose connections from the ignition switch wiring & it appeared that someone else (previous owner/mechanic) had been working in there. It wasnt making good contact.Now it is fine & it hasn’t happened since.So look into it guys, its been several weeks & hundreds of starts.
    The click problem is so annoying because you never know when it’s going to happen & it always happened at the worst possible time.Goodluck- John

24. grigio tr

grigio tr Rookie

Jan 30, 2008
    east sussex, UK
    Full Name:
    mike
    had exactly the same on mine,repaired the connections and now starts every time.

are the 2.5 ecu's self learning too then and require resetting or is it just the 2.7's ?

25. mihakrapez

mihakrapez Karting

Aug 16, 2007
    Slovenia-Europe
    Full Name:
    Miha
    Hello.

If I do a reset all electric gadgets should be off and no opening of doors or any other things.

-Can handbrake be applied during the process (light in the dash)?
    -How long does the car need to forget the setting if you flip the kill switch?
    -What to do when the fan starts? Wait until it turns off, drive off, turn the car off?

Thank you and best regards,
    Miha