restaurant (and other) recommendations for LA | FerrariChat

restaurant (and other) recommendations for LA

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by ross, Jul 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    hi, going to LA on friday for a long weekend to see my two daughters both working out there now, and it is my wife's birthday on sunday...

we will be staying at redondo beach, but are mobile.
    friday we will be staying close to redondo - so some nice places around there needed.
    saturday i am going to the peterson museum, so a lunch place around there maybe? dinner anywhere....

sunday, need a great bling place anywhere really, but water views would be nice.

any advice? and although i am there to see the kids, any other recommendations are also appreciated.

thanks

2. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Redondo is not a real dining destination, Gardena is close by and has some of the best Japanese food in the nation try Miyabi Uni if you're adventurous. Otherwise, you may want to head up to Manhattan Beach and check out Post.

République is great and not far from the Peterson. For a different type of experience, you could also head to Koreatown from there quite easily. Parks, Soot But Jeep, or POT would be good choices (I'm not positive which ones are open for lunch.)

Water views and good food generally don't go hand in hand in LA, but The Lobster in Santa Monica is oceanside, upscale, and has good food, also Nobu Malibu has the most LA of scenes and some decent fusion sushi and views. Soho House Malibu is another choice if you're a member or know someone who is.

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #3 TheMayor, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    The only one the water place I know in Redondo (other than Cheesecake factory and such) is Kincaids. Its OK for a meal but nothing outstanding. Pretty much your usual steak and seafood.

I suggest going to Marina Del Rey.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g32684-Marina_del_Rey_California.html

I've eaten at Tony P's about 6 months ago. Pretty good

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g32684-d350165-Reviews-Tony_P_s-Marina_del_Rey_California.html

I've also eaten in Cafe Del Rey for dinner. Also not bad and on the water.

http://cafedelreymarina.com/

4. msark

msark Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2017
    Southern California
    Since you are going to be here anyway make your way to one of the more iconic places.

Here are 2 ideas both of which my family always enjoys:

Ivy At The Shore .... Santa Monica .... Great food and sometimes a celebrity or 2

The Tasting Kitchen in Venice.... Great food, easy atmosphere

Both have terrific food but will require reservations....

Enjoy your trip ....

5. Steve00

Steve00 Rookie

Jan 18, 2016
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Steve
  6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  7. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    thanks for these.

am looking at all the websites.

also was told to check out chateau marmont? mixed reviews tho......

8. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Local in Redondo - Chez Melange

Lunch after the Peterson - Bouchon

BH Bling - Crustacean

SaMo - Over the top ridiculous - Melisse

9. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I live in Manhattan Beach, adjacent to Redondo Beach. For a bling place, I would suggest Marsel at the Terranea resort in Palos Verdes. It is only 20 minutes from Redondo Beach and the ocean views/ambience/setting are amazing. I had my wife's birthday party there in their private room. Below is the website:

Dining in Los Angeles | mar'sel - Menus | Restaurants Rancho Palos Verdes

Some other recommendations for the beach area:

Strandhouse in Manhattan Beach - On the strand overlooking the beach and MB Pier. Americana food with a casual elegant setting.

MB Post in Manhattan Beach - Very cool "gastropub" with a communal setting. Food is amazing

Arthur J in Manhattan Beach - Cool steakhouse

Fishing with Dynamite - Small quaint restaurant with a seafood focus

Brewco - Up from the Manhattan Beach pier. Tons of beers on tap with a very casual setting and good simple food (fish and chips, burgers, salads, etc)

Hermosa Beach is also adjacent to Redondo, and has a lively bar scene with great casual dining options

PM me for other suggestions if needed.

10. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    We love North End Caffe

11. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Another great place, especially for breakfast on the north side of Manhattan Beach. Not to be confused with another place with the same name in Hermosa Beach. A few other great breakfast places are Uncle Bill's Pancake House, The Local Yolk, Sloopy's, and Two Guns.

12. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Hmmm, That's probably why they spelt it with the "FF"?

I'm a big Local Yolk guy, more so than Uncle Bill's. We also like to stock up on Kettle muffins for the weekends. :)

13. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    so many choices !
    thanks

14. Surfari

Surfari Karting

Nov 4, 2016
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Luke
    Friday for staying local, I'd say Chez or any of the places listed in Manhattan Beach. Also Bluewater grill is a good place for seafood and a harbor view.

I like the Yellow Vase for a casual brunch

Bling place I agree with the Marsel suggestion

If you like Pizza and Wine, check out South End in Venice beach. It's small but has a lot of charm. The owners Mario and Enzo are great and always willing to talk wine. I take all my visitors here.

15. Surfari

Surfari Karting

Nov 4, 2016
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Luke
    Forgot to mention, Every Friday night there is an informal cruise in at Ruby's adjacent to the Redondo Pier. Mostly American Muscle / Hot Rods but their is always something interesting to see.

16. FastRed355

FastRed355 Formula 3

Oct 3, 2003
    Westwood
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Excellent choice here. Great location on the Sunset Strip area and a lot of history. When I was here, Kanye West was dining a few tables away. Unique setting. You will be happy you went here.
    After dinner, check out Bar Marmont next store.

17. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    can hardly get through to them on the phone!

can anybody help getting a table here (chateua marmont) for saturday night for 7 people??

18. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #18 ross, Jul 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    can hardly get through to them on the phone!

i got a table there (chateau marmont) for saturday night for 8 people but only at 10pm......family debate going on if that is too late....

19. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    some choices driven by location and/or timing and/or group preferences, but so far:

sat lunch at bouchon, then the peterson
    sat dinner at chateau marmont (but need a bar suggestion near to that location where we can meet first.)
    sunday dinner at mar sel.

friday dinner thinking someplace fun and casual. maybe korea town

20. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    any advice for best activities for sunday during the day?

21. msark

msark Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2017
    Southern California
    Chateau Marmont would be more fun as a bar and look elsewhere for dinner.

Try the Gordon Ramsey restaurant at the London ... Sunset Strip, Very cool and good food.....

Friday fun eating is also hinoki & the bird ..... Award winning food and fair prices.... It very good .... The is also The Cannibal in Culver City ... All about great meat.....

22. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    anybody know EP+LT ?

23. jm348

jm348 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2007
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff M
    Flemings in El Segundo/Manhattan adjacent is consistently good for steak and North Italia is great as well. Both close to Redondo Beach. Steak and Whiskey, Hook and Plow in Hermosa Beach are all super close to Redondo. Bluewater grill or Kincaids in Redondo both have great views and good food. Not Mastros quality but no traveling and much less $$.

24. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Have breakfast at Sunset Plaza (Cravings?), take Sunset all the way to the end and drive up PCH.

Bling dinner at Geoffreys or Nobu.

25. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    As mentioned, if you are looking for super high end awesome places, there aren't many in Redondo, but there are plenty of almost-awesome places. Sounds like you have food mostly figured out already, but I have lived in Redondo forever (my great grandparents lived near here) and am happy to help however I can - feel free to PM to exchange numbers.

I personally love Redondo as it is the least crowded of all the local beach cities - you can still find parking without meters. For non-food activities I would suggest making sure you take a quick drive around Palos Verdes (just south of Redondo) - great ocean views and several small parks you can stop at to enjoy the views. Perfect weather this time of year.

Where are you staying? Portofino, Shade, Crowne Plaza...?