restaurant (and other) recommendations for LA | Page 2 | FerrariChat

restaurant (and other) recommendations for LA

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by ross, Jul 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    Sum's it up...

2. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0

3. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    You are bringing up the oldie but goodies..LOL....

4. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    we are staying in a corporate apt near the beach in redondo. and we are there just because our eldest daughter lives in that area. but the plans are taking place all over la.

friday: mostly redondo area, visit to 'fast cars' to see a car, then a tour of space x, and then a trip to korea town for dinner at toe bang.
    saturday: redondo in the morning, then into rodeo drive, lunch at bouchon, then the peterson museum, then a little rest back in redondo before dinner at EP+LT and desert and drinks at the chateau marmont.
    sunday: some kind of activity tbd (long beach, catalina, reagan library ???), and then evening at palos verdes with dinner at mar'sel.
    monday hanging around redondo or other beaches there, and then flight at 3pm.

5. shawdut

shawdut Formula Junior

May 30, 2014
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Shawn D
    Yes - I do. Went to a rooftop wine tasting event there a few months ago and then went to eat at the restaurant below Was pretty good!

6. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    JSYK.... Long Beach and the Reagan Library are probably 70 miles apart, and in 405 traffic which is 1.5 hrs minimum. You have to pick one or the other and add in around them...

Off the top of my head, if you to the Reagan early enough, you'd have a scenery change, Ferrari of Westlake and eventually several different canyons that will lead you back to PCH for a Malibu run. Back to the 10, 405 and LAX.

7. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    wrote a long review of all the restos i went to and then it got lost in here somewhere....

pita

the condensed version:

blue water grill: 6/10
    toe bang: 6/10
    bouchon: 0/10 complete crap
    EP+LP: 8/10
    chateau marmont 8/10
    manuela: 10/10 best resto in last 4 days
    mar'sel: 9/10 excellent, but pricey

8. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Nice weather over the weekend. Hope no clouds and haze at Mar'sel and you were able to enjoy the awesome views around the property. Based upon your review, I need to check out Manuela.

9. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #34 ross, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    i spoke with the young texan chef there Wes Whitsell. he is doing some imaginative rifs on standard southwestern recipes and combining them well with other themes like mediterranean and asian. menu changes every day for lunch and for dinner. you can mention my name, he might remember me.

other interesting food places in that neighborhood i would like to try sometime.... Wurstkuche - about 50 different home made sausages and craft beer, and Pie Hole, about 50 different pies.

10. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I work nearby in Downtown LA. Been to those places and they are great, definitely worth trying. I was debating on giving you some downtown eateries. Still gritty over there and not much to do outside of eating.

11. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i dont mind gritty ! better food than in some of the standard and pretentious places like bouchon (which was just appalling).

12. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Bouchon 0/10? come on.... Definitely top 10 Best burger around...

bad waitstaff? what....

13. Roth

Roth Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2016
    Pepsi Generation
    If you haven't,

The Palm in beverly hill. Many choices of steak to choose from.
    The Lobster Santa Monica. I don't recommend Lobsters inspite the name. Frozen not fresh
    Le petit Four West Hollywood. Beside escargots and frog legs, the other stuff worth tasting
    La Piazza at the grove. many Italian dishes.

Polo Lounge in Beverly hill hotel is overrated but you see the stars if that's your thing
    LA Diner Car really overrated. the service is great but in the end it's the food that matters

If you like the zoo atmosphere, downtown LA is a great night scene(adult). The Art Walk on Spring street every second Thursday is a spectacle itself. Otherwise the Pike in Long Beach is much better. Stay away from rendondo peer. Freaks come out at night. :)

14. Roth

Roth Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2016
    Pepsi Generation
    The queen marry champagne Sunday brunch is worth sampling. I will argue it's better than the famous Wynn buffet in vegas. Then head down to the aquarium of the pacific. Gift shops and other eateries in the vacinity. Or just relax and enjoy the sight and sound of the human mosaic. That's free. :)

15. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #40 ross, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    my lost review went into the detail, but just for you, i will try to repeat it.

bouchon front of house was fine.
    waiter started off fine, but then disgraced himself....they were promoting some rose's so i chose one, when he brought it to the table, he also brought a small plate with 4 sticks of fried polenta, and a small bowl of tapenade to dip them into. i asked what that was and he said that was complimentary when ordering the rose....i thanked him for that, but remarked that since we were 7 people, would he be able to bring us another plate of these so that everybody could try one? he answered NO. really?? you cannot spare 4 more sticks of fried polenta, when the restaurant was only 25% occupied?? really?

then we got round to ordering. while everybody was hemming and hawing, i asked him to bring 2 orders of the fried zuchinni flowers. they came and were just balls of deep fried and greasy dough, accompanied by some kind of heavy remoulade sauce. bad all round.

3 people ordered salade au chevre chaud (goats cheese salad) as main courses. this is a salad that should have a large slice of fried goats cheese on top of a copious bed of lettuce, with lardons, croutons, and various herbs etc. well they brought this out on a desert plate, with one measly small slice of room temp goats cheese, on lettuce, with nothing else in the salad. amateur and false advertising.

2 people, including myself, ordered the pisaladiere as a main course. this is a salad that should have a poached egg on top of a bed of lettuce with lardons and croutons etc. it came in a bowl, but only filled 2/3rds and about 3 lardons - cut too large, and no croutons or anything else. amateur.

1 person had the salmon tartare. it looked ok, but was reported to be tasteless.

1 person had the waffles....my son, and he inhaled them, but told me they were not the best he ever tasted.

then we had 5 cups of espresso.

the total with tax and tip came to aroiund $350.

so the waiter was ok, but stupid.
    the food was unsatisfactory, but for a restaurant supposedly run by a french chef, it was just piss poor. these are simple plates. they got them wrong AND were stingy on quantity and believe me i am no monster person looking for an all-you-can-eat joint.
    the cost was an insult.

then i felt ill all afternoon.

never going back.

16. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Yikes!!

I feel bad for recommending it but I've never had a bad meal there.

17. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    not your fault. these things happen. i read the other reviews online. mostly good. i think its probably better for dinner. but the bad reviews strangely sound a little like mine - so maybe i was there for the one day the sous chef is in charge?

but there are so many other restaurants to try that it doesnt seem worth it to subject yourself to a bad one twice.

18. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Bouchon is now gone.....