Resto Mods or Not | FerrariChat

Resto Mods or Not

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Eric R, Jan 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    I have always loved classic Corvettes but have not owned one. All of mine have been C4 and up. Always wanted a 427 tri power but have heard horror stories about overheating. Watching Barrett Jackson and seeing these resto mod Corvettes has really changed my mind. These cars would be way more reliable for how I intend to use it. Some of these cars had to to cost $400-500k just to build and are selling in the $200-300k range. That looks like a great deal to me. What are your thoughts on them?

2. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Damn! That TA is hot.

malex, Wade, normv and 1 other person like this.
  3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #4 Wade, Jan 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    If the car is a super rare example, then yeah, maintain or restore. But for everything else, restomod is the way to go (modern brakes, modern interiors, A/C, F.I., etc.).

Regarding the 427, get a late model crate motor and add fuel injection. While "Tri-Power" sounds cool, I'd rather have throttle bodies with direct injection.

And... a super charger. :)

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/masts-supercharged-917hp-ls-427/

Attached Files:

GatorFL, Eric R and jm2 like this.
  4. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    G. Pepper and Eric R like this.
  5. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Had this conversation with my youngest son (18) last night. For a sports car I don't need all the electronic crap that all cars come with nowdays. I will go so far as to say navigation in a car is a wasted expense when everyone has a smart phone. Same with satellite radio. Connect to the phone. I have made the personal decision to not go towards a newer car and will focus towards older that I can tailor to my own desire. And it has to have a 5 speed minimum.

MK1044 and Texas Forever like this.
  6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #7 TheMayor, Jan 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    To me, resto mods are kinda poser-ish. You want the classic looks, but you want none of the classic feel or pitfalls with owning a classic car.

Are you destroying a classic car just for the idea of driving something cool looking but you will only drive if it has A/C, GPS, modern stereo and a reliable drive train/ suspension with modern gizmos like fuel injection?

And no, I am not a Chip Foose fan when he cuts up a classic car. I am a fan however when he creates something of his own design (which he has done and very successfully).

Take an E-type Jag, rip out the straight six and put in it a modern 400hp V8 FI short block, replace the suspension and diff with a modern one with 4 caliper brakes, and a modern gearbox.

Is it really better? Or is it another car entirely that just looks like an E-type?

7. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I don’t have a lot of pictures of it finished, but I built my ‘61 C1 to look completely stock unless you knew what to look for.

It has power steering, four wheel disc brakes, modern suspension, a 350 and a 5-speed. The as-purchased pictures are outdoors in nice weather, completed car indoors and in the rain with the soft top up.

I turned a car that was basically undrivable into one that feels great to drive. And it looks the same.

Matt

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Don't know where to begin. First, I would not want all electronic crap in the car like Nav/Bluetooth etc. That is stuff I am trying to get away from. But if I am putting in a better engine and drive train that would have to be a good thing. Trying to avoid the pitfalls of owning a classic car is a good thing to do. Why would anyone want a car that they dread taking for a driving knowing something is going to happen? This is in no way being a poser to me. As your example E-type shows, the mods would make it better. That's what classic hot rodding does. Takes something from the factory and makes it better albeit better is in the eye of the beholder.

Texas Forever likes this.
  9. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Then you must like it when people threw out Ferrari V12's and put in a crate motor V8 because they were faster and more reliable.

Where do you draw the line?

10. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Eric very clearly stated in Post #6 all the things he didn't want. In the very next post you assume he wants all that crap. He never even mentioned a Jaguar E-Type.

The poor guy then tries to explain himself, and you accuse him of liking to put V-8s in vintage Ferraris.

Why are you attacking Eric when I'm the guy actually altering cars?

Matt

11. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Gotta love the internet...
    In 11 posts, we go from restomodding American cars like C2's (they made a PILE of those) to swapping out Ferrari V12's for SBC's.

MK1044, G. Pepper, BHMSOCCER and 6 others like this.
  12. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I agree.

Where’s @TheMayor gone?

Matt

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  13. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Its 3 in the morning in London. What do you want me to do?

I stand by what I said. I'm not talking about what you do or don't like about resto mods. I'm talking about this category which takes a classic car and destroys it forever because someone likes what it looks like but hates the engineering under the skin. Resto mods are destroying a classic car to make a modern car that just looks cool.

No matter what you say, that is the case. If you want a modern car, buy a modern car. If you want a classic car, buy a classic car and like it for what it is. Leave classic cars ALONE.

14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    And the difference is exactly what? SO they made a lot of them. That's a reason to butcher them?

They are what they are. Once you tear out the guts of them they are never original again. They are some kind of frankenstein.

And let me tell you... people in the 60's thought it was actually a great idea to take that awful Ferrari V12 lump out when it blew up and stick in a crate motor. Good idea, was it?

Hey I have an idea -- Let's tattoo the face of one of 3 triplets. After all, they made 3 of them.

15. SAT4RE

SAT4RE Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Blairsville, GA
    I was indifferent about resto-mods until I met a gentleman at a local car show who had his '67 Stingray convertible on display. The car was absolutely stunning, and looked 100% original - that is until you looked under the hood and saw the modern Vette engine powering it, and discovered that much of its underpinnings were modern as well (suspension, brakes, air conditioning, etc.). He told me he wanted the look of the car, but with modern reliability/utility. Honestly, it left me thinking that if GM could make his car, today, they would never be able to build enough of them. It was fantastic.

16. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    As Queen Gertrude said to Hamlet: "The queen doth protest too much, methinks."

Matt

BOKE likes this.
  17. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    That's exactly what I did with my '61.

I started with a NOM 350 and five speed transmission. It was already altered. I just completed the job.

:)

Matt

18. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    If we're using C2 Corvettes as an example, not all C2's are 427 tri-power/Z06/Grand Sport/etc (i.e. "classics"). There are PLENTY of 327/automatic C2's that are NOT classics now, nor will they ever be. Don't confuse OLD with CLASSIC.
    Restomodding an SS396 Chevelle should be avoided. Restomodding a 1960's Chevelle coupe....who cares?

09Scuderia, Rifledriver, BOKE and 2 others like this.
  19. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    ^So I ask again — where do you draw the line?

And why isn’t it poserville if you drive around in a 1956 car that’s not really from 1956 but looks like it’s ftom 1956 but you don’t want to deal with it? Why isn’t that being phony?

tifoso2728 likes this.
  20. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    #21 jimmyb, Jan 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    So, is a Superformance 427 Cobra a "poser"?
    I think it's his money, his choice. I am NOT in favor of chopping up a "classic", but doing an OLD car...no problem (no chopping on a GS455, a late 1960/early 1970's, Skylark, have at it).

If you want to view this as "poser", than that is your opinion. There are Corvette guys that think any Corvette with an automatic is a "poser" car.

21. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Actually replica cars are far worse. A replica is truly phony. At least a resto-mod started with the actual car.

22. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    MK1044, G. Pepper, 09Scuderia and 3 others like this.
  23. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Texas Forever, BOKE and Smiles like this.
  24. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby