Restoration 250 SWB | FerrariChat

Restoration 250 SWB

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Nike, Feb 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nike

Nike Rookie

May 8, 2011
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    Niklas
  2. polds

polds Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    #2 polds, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Whilst I admire their peerless workmanship this obsession with "better than new" really reflects on the new type of uber hi end classic car owner.

I can't think of anything worse than an over restored car that has for all intensive purposes lost its soul. I suppose if you're a connected CEO with a garish sterile wife then a garish sterile car for your bleached white teeth sterile existence is just what you need for some naff closed shop concours event with tacky designer brands all over the shop. I've been to these shows and wonder where it's all heading.

Forgive me for going off topic but I've just picked up a Honda CZ100. The ultimate pit bike for vintage events. You see them at Goodwood if you're lucky.. All are over restored and many in peoples living rooms. They are a charming period jewel.

I was lucky and privileged to be allowed to purchase a CZ from the original owner who received it as his christmas present December '65 age 9. Last used '66 and 200 miles on the clock. Only ever used in the garden and never registered. It has sat in an integral garage for 50 odd years and has not been touched. It has heaps of patina and wears its years with pride. Needs a new tank as it was left full of gas which turned into some kind of evil acid!

To restore it would be a travesty nay vandalism.

Pic of the ex 9 year old last week!

I don't own this bike. I am merely looking after it for the owners of the future who will thank me for not sterilising it in the name of the nouveau riche desire to rape the past in the name of fashion.

Sermon concluded!

(FYI - Here's a CZ in the modern resto mould...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1964-HONDA-CZ100-Red-tank-Monkey-Bike-Classic-Very-Rare-Vintage-/201295677299)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Your first paragraph doesn't hold any punches.There is definitely a ring of truth to what you say.Just be careful who you say it to. tongascrew

4. richardowen

richardowen Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Some cars need restoration and others don't.

There certainly is a high level of craftsmanship that DK engineering exhibit and you have to give them credit for their final fit and finish.

If the market is any indication, than it's all heading upwards.

5. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Gorgeous car.

6. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    Any period pic ?? I can't believe this car was born with full-width front bumper and this "old school" steering-wheel...

7. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    Great vid!

8. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Stunning car. Great video and story.

9. JimiC

JimiC Rookie

Sep 6, 2005
    Full Name:
    James Cottingham
    The period photo is at the start of the video. It is all documented with Ferrari too.

10. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #10 El Wayne, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I do agree with you that over time these cars are being improved to a standard they never were. This is because restoration companies are using these cars to demonstrate their work and of course attract more clients.

Over time this will distort our knowledge of build standards of the period, but in this case I feel that the only area where this occurred was with the trimming. In fact the trimmer admitted that they were aiming for perfection in quality not originality.

As for the rest of the car it was returned to how it left the factory and the body restoration was really an extensive completely bare metal repaint.

Now in defence of restorations, these cars, in fact all cars, are machines and unless they go through a refit at some stage they will become poorer driving cars. If you owned a Spitfire (plane) and did not perform thorough refits every so many years it would be grounded, for example.

So other than a nice new paint job, and extensive detail work, this car has had a considerable mechnical refit and hopefully, if original specs were stuck to, now drives like it did when it left the factory.

What needs to happen now though, is the owner needs to drive the thing and allow patina to reform :) ... in 20 years time, re-restore and then chuck on some more miles again!
    Pete

12. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    I wonder what year the "period" in this case might be.

13. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Swiss plates and paint scheme suggest pre-1965. Soon after this, it was here in the U.S. and painted dark blue (still with original red leather interior). From 1979 to 1980, it underwent restoration (still in dark blue, but now with black interior) and was sold to France.

In the previous thread, it was mentioned that Marcel provided "period photos":

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/vintage-thru-365-gtc4-sponsored-vintage-driving-machines/468145-ferrari-250-gt-swb-3425-a.html

Could they be from a later period? Possibly. It would help to see the original front 3/4 image without the blurred background effect.

14. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    Thanks for the pics Wayne. I'm still not convinced this car left the factory with this front bumper and steering-wheel as we don't know the exact date of the pics...

15. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I can understand somebody changing the steering wheel, but why the heck would somebody change a bumper ... big expense!
    Pete

16. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    Big expense in 60's ?? I don't think so...

17. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    #17 kare, Mar 3, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
    Ordering a custom bumper from the Ferrari factory isn't likely going to make it much cheaper. About the why: many Lusso owners in the period were very worried about damaging the nose of their car and would go to great lengths to protect it. It wasn't necessarily much different with a passo corto.

The earlier claim was that all the mods were documented by the factory when the car was built. Would be interesting to know what these documents really are, otherwise it's just talk.

I also think the period photos are not showing a brand new car, it looks worn (is that driver seat held together by tape?), rear bumper is all over the place and the trunk lid doesn't seem to be closing properly.

18. Lussolover

Lussolover Karting

Sep 22, 2014
  19. 275GTBSaran

275GTBSaran Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    I love these old swiss plates. This car should come back switzerland. I really have no clue when the license plate could be - but it looks definately older than 1965.....

20. JimiC

JimiC Rookie

Sep 6, 2005
    Full Name:
    James Cottingham
    Do you have any photos of it in blue? Would be great to see!

21. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Sorry, but no photos; only the reports of those who spotted the car.