Restoration / detailing for a Newby | FerrariChat

Restoration / detailing for a Newby

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Capibaro, Dec 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Capibaro

Capibaro Rookie

Jan 6, 2015
    Tilburg
    Full Name:
    Bob van Leeuwen
    Relatively new here. How do you guys clean/detail your cars? I wonder in general but also have some specific questions.

- How do you guys wash/detail your cars?
    - What stuff do you guys use for nourishing the leather/The convertible cover
    - How do you clean the interior carpets (creme)
    - Looking for new and original floor mats. Any pointers on where to get them?

Cheers, Bob

Image Unavailable, Please Login IMG_5252 by capibaro, on Flickr

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    all the answers to your questions are here, just need to search.
    1) any car wash soap is fine, they're al the same stuff. i use zymol cuz i like the scent. i like 3m glaze and zymol ital.
    2) leather i like zaino and zymol, again based on scent.
    3) shampoo is all you can really do.
    4) eurospares shld have matts...id get black ones if your interior is cream https://www.eurospares.co.uk/

in general the top level of detailing products are all the same thing, its really all about applying and using the different products correctly. i dont wash or detail any of my stuff anymore as to do it right you need to be skilled and patient.

355 rocks!

Capibaro likes this.
  3. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Bob -

I would take a look at these videos. Really good info and will get you started in the right direction. Once you have tried a couple different products , you'll settle on products that you like for your application. Good luck and enjoy!

Capibaro likes this.
  4. Capibaro

Capibaro Rookie

Jan 6, 2015
    Tilburg
    Full Name:
    Bob van Leeuwen
    Thanks for the reply. Think the detailing gear is a matter of preference. For interior leather, i normally just use what I can get in high quality, but this 355 (as it has sat for long) needs some very nourishing fatty stuff for the interior parts I fancy. All looks new but on closer inspection may be a tad dried or shrunken.

I Will definitely search eurospares for the matts. I will get them in cream (like original).

5. Capibaro

Capibaro Rookie

Jan 6, 2015
    Tilburg
    Full Name:
    Bob van Leeuwen
    Thanks for the reply. I am a relatively experienced detailer, Love to do it. But never often a car with a hood (not something that is open like this where all the water juust poors over the engine. Also not very experienced with a convertible. I wonder how not to ruin the new roof?

Will watch your video's anyway as I love detailing video's

6. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Getting the water in the engine bay is not a big deal. When I wash my 458, I first blow out any excess water and then dry the upper portion of the engine bay with some microfiber towels. On my son's Lotus Elise, we simply gently spray the fabric roof and gently wash. A quick wipe with a micro fiber and we are done! There are some specific washes although I woudl use that only if the top is soiled.

7. EnzoItaly

EnzoItaly Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2016
    I can highly recommend Swissvax products. I’m very happy with them.

8. MAPS

MAPS Karting

Jan 13, 2017
    Porto, Portugal
    Full Name:
    Marco Silva
    Hello Bob, congratulations on your new 355!

The best product I know to treat and protect the leather is from Leatherique (there is a great tutorial on the Esoteric Youtube channel) and the best product I know for the soft tops e from Renovo, the fabric soft top cleaner and proofer (usually once a year).

Wish you have many happy motoring days with your wonderful Ferrari.