Restoration of Miura 1021 | Page 17 | FerrariChat

Restoration of Miura 1021

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by alberto, Feb 5, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    Had that done myself on a set of carbs. Any information on how well it works to prevent problems?

2. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Careful now or it may end up like a Pantera LOL :D.

I bet a lot of issues would be cured except it would affect the resale value unless it was all easily reversible like it was never there. It's been done on some Espadas already as I'm sure you already know.

3. surface master

surface master Formula Junior
    BANNED

Sep 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Steve N. Kouracos
    #403 surface master, May 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Since my last posting most chassis is completed except for the finishing touches on the new fabrication on the firewall (which I will post new photos later next week). I'm waiting to find out how Alberto wants to handle his fire extinguisher system for the motor. He wants to hide most of the pipe behind the firewall so it will make it less conspicuous.

I've also posted a few shots of prepping the inside roof for primer and touch up on a few welds from the factory. These photos will show you how crude these cars were put together back in the day. Pininfarina was an incredible automobile designer, which is the main reason these cars are so worth restoring. It sure isn't the way they were constructed. That's why styling and design are one of the main reason why people love these cars. We also dug a little deeper where the media blaster can't get to and ended up exposing a little Italian Fallout. :) I guess it accumulated through the roof louvers after so many years but we got in there without having to remove the roof skin, which shows no evidence of bad sheet metal. We were able to clean and seal the inner roof area. It is one of the great benefits to restoring your car on a rotisserie.

The two last photos will show how differently these cars were assembled. As you can tell, there's a considerable difference in pop rivet assembly. I will post more in the next couple weeks as soon as Alberto comes down to the shop to approve the mask off for the Lizard Skin coating. The goal here is to apply the Lizard Skin only to areas where it will be effective for sound and heat but yet when somebody sees the car after it's been finished and reassembled the Lizard Skin will not be detectable and hidden behind firewalls, rockers, and interior.

Peace,
    Steve
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    You are going to get roasted over your Pininfarina reference ;)

Pete

5. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Nah, the Lamborghinisti are such a forgiving bunch ... ;)

6. surface master

BANNED

Sep 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Steve N. Kouracos
    #406 surface master, May 12, 2013
    Here are a few more pictures of Alberto's Miura. It's a work in process but it's now taped off for Lizard Skin and a new firewall has been pre fit. Now we're waiting on word for the fire extinguisher system. Keeping in mind that we would like to hide as much pipe as possible so we haven't fastened it in yet.

Peace,
    Steve

Steve Kouracos | Fine Craftsmanship In Automotive Restoration & Resurfacing

7. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Steve, you clearly have been working on too many Dino's. The one with the big engine and the popup headlights was designed by Bertone. The one with the small engine and the fixed headlights was designed by Pininfarina. :)

8. surface master

BANNED

Sep 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Steve N. Kouracos
    I deserve to get roasted after that... I meant Bertone... I'll blame my wife ...She typed it.

Ha Ha.

9. surface master

BANNED

Sep 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Steve N. Kouracos
    Dog house.

10. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Nah, it'll just cost you lunch.......

11. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    What's up with the clumps dirt? in photo three.

12. docdozer

docdozer Karting

Jun 17, 2009
    Central Maine,
    Full Name:
    Charley
    LOL!

Although a thread like this can be TMI and bite you in the ass later, in this case it will only add value to the car. This is an outstanding restoration and pretty much no expense spared and very well documented. While the car had some fairly extensive damage which is not good it is clearly being rectified in the best way possible. This will only add value to the car in the future, which (admirably) has nothing to do with what Alberto is doing.

Alberto, I think it is great that you have the ability to restore this car the way it needs to be done. Clearly not inexpensive and you are fortunate that you can undertake it even though I am sure you are wondering what you have gotten yourself into!

13. surface master

BANNED

Sep 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Steve N. Kouracos
    #413 surface master, Jun 6, 2013
    I finally got my long-awaited Lizard Skin spray gun today!! The Miura's been taped off and waiting to have the Lizard Skin sprayed. This is the first stage -- which is a sound deadening material. Tomorrow, after it dries, we will top-coat with the ceramic heat resistant coating. This should help keep the cockpit a lot cooler.

... We definitely need to find Beau a Lamborghini cap!!

Steve
    Steve Kouracos | Fine Craftsmanship In Automotive Restoration & Resurfacing

14. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    With all that sound deadening I wonder if Alberto will still be able to hear the engine ... ;)

15. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    That dirt was junk on the roof, in between the top panel and the folds towards the rear of the roof. (Not sure if I explained that so anyone can understand it, LOL.)

Thank you Doc. This has certainly not gone the way I had thought it would. In almost every way except the amount of money and the amount of time it has taken, it has been pretty much been a positive experience. I've met some great people, and some that I already knew I have gotten to know better. I've learned a LOT about restoring cars. Unfortunately, I'm having fantasies about finishing this one and getting something else to restore. I think I'm sick in the head or just plain stupid.

Bob: I'm more focused on heat than noise. That said, given that air conditioning control consists solely of lowering the windows, I think I'll hear it just fine!

16. docdozer

docdozer Karting

Jun 17, 2009
    Central Maine,
    Full Name:
    Charley
    It's funny to see you write this because the Miura is also one of the reasons I went into engineering as well. It has always been my favorite car since it was introduced.

I am really enjoying your restoration and the closeup photos.

Charley

17. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #417 alberto, Jun 7, 2013
  18. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #418 alberto, Jun 7, 2013
    As I previously posted, I dropped off the interior. The other day I went over to talk about a few details and we took one of the head rests apart and also found what appear to be original chalk marks on the head rest. 1021 is build No. 9 for Bertone, so, if this chalk part is original, I wonder which car has No. 9 head rests? That said, I don't know if the chalk mark is original (somehow doesn't look like a european figure "8" to me, but maybe I'm over analyzing. Foam is original, as is embossed stamp shown. Upholster says we should keep the foam as it's in good shape and it is hard to recreate the firmness of the original foam with modern foam.

Also found chalk marks on the seat bottom, which if you look closely enough is white and looks like a 9 with an underline beneath it. This is original.

19. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Sorry, I missed your question previously. I don't really know how well they work. Perhaps Jeff can chime in.

20. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #420 alberto, Jun 11, 2013
    Cel phone pics of the dash and seats. Upholsterer tells me that this is the first Miura he's seen with metal dash. Typically they are fiberglass. I think the next prior early car he did was 1066. Number 9 stamps on dash parts is good to see, since it means that the dash must not have been damaged much previously. Driver's seat foam is mostly replaced, while passenger's seat is mostly original. Tack strips are on relatively early P400 cars only. At some point they did away with the tack strips and used a loop and wire set up, where the wire runs the length of the seat (I'm not explaining this well, but where the tack strip is, a wire would be inserted into the fabric and then hog clips used to attach it to the seat, which has a bracket where it would attach. Kind of hard to explain.

21. surface master

BANNED

Sep 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Steve N. Kouracos
    #421 surface master, Jun 12, 2013
    The sound and heat Lizord Skin coating have been finished. We had a chance to pull the rotisserie off today and mount-up the 4-wheel cart. Also we hung the doors,front and rear clips today as well. I would say we have about 60% of the fit and finish done. We also have some aluminum to replace in the trunk compartment as well as a little more Tig welding. Once this is all finished then we will start the surfacing on both front and rear clips.

Steve Kouracos

22. bertspeed

bertspeed Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2009
    Just come across this thread ,and just have to say wow what an awsome job thats being done by all involved .The Miura was the first supercar to catch my eye and its great to see one being put back right and also very interesting to see how it had been constructed.

23. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    :)

24. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    WOW !
    Nice work Alberto.
    I'm jealous :)

25. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    It's insane the amount of work you've put into this car and to only be 60% done with one aspect. This is a stellar build. Congrats!

. . . and thank you for keeping us updated. I truly enjoy watching this build come along.