Restoration of Miura 1021 | Page 18 | FerrariChat

Restoration of Miura 1021

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by alberto, Feb 5, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Good to know someone's following my gibberish!

2. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    fantastic work, it's coming along very nicely!

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Not wanting to criticize, but that ride height looks a little high ...
    Pete

4. Looney

Looney F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    Gold Coast
    Full Name:
    BB
    he's probably going for that look the guys in Miami do with the big 26 inch wheels on an 70's or 80's sedan. i think they call them a "Box"

5. mt_jt

mt_jt Formula Junior

May 9, 2012
    Australia
    One of the most interesting automotive threads I've seen anywhere. Amazing what you are doing with this historically significant car, and truly fascinating to see how you are basically rebuilding a Miura. I love the ingenuity in some of the ideas such as the chassis rig you showed us earlier in the thread. What's just as as fascinating for me is to see the original workmanship (or sometimes a slight lack-of by the looks of things!) that went into this early car.
    Thanks for taking the time to share your amazing work with us all.

6. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    How about a Miura 4 x 4?

Thanks for your comments. Some things like the jig were just the only way I could make sure things were done right, even if at the time I had more than one person tell me it was a waste of time. I'm really glad I made the jig, because now I have no doubt about the accuracy of the suspension pick up points. There's all kinds of details that I don't have a chance to highlight or that seem just so pedantic that I figure no one cares.

7. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Seems like the active rebuilding/restoration threads were made stickies and now are un-stickied (is that a word?). Anyone know if there was an experiment going on? Just curious.

8. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    Yes I realize that too.
    There were 4 stickies on the top for a couple of days. Your Miura, My LM002, Red Countach repaint and the Twice Baked Bull.

9. I made the stickies. I thought it was a great idea to have 4 or so current Lamborghini restorations up on top. Alas I got moderated :) .

10. Andrew R.

Andrew R. Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2005
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Wow, the depth of this restoration is amazing... I give you much credit for doing so much work to make a GREAT restoration.

What sort of timing are you estimating from start to finish?

And on cost.. think you will be around the same as the typical restore, or higher? Just curious, I have been doing this and that on my Miura, the full blown restoration always crosses my mind!

Congrats again!

11. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Andrew

Thanks for your note. I no longer have a time goal in mind to finish the car. While my priority with the car has always been to do it the best possible way, fate has intervened in my life and that has changed the timing for completion.

As to cost, I don't know what a "typical" restoration costs, but I know I cannot get the level of detail and quality that has been put into the car if I had handed the car to someone and just wrote checks and waited for a call to pick it up. In that sense I am ahead in terms of the quality and detail of the work that has gone into it vs the typical restoration. Hopefully that will be the case to the end.

12. big ease

big ease Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2008
    Anymore updates ?

13. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Great work!!

14. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Went to see the car today at the body shop. Will post pictures tomorrow.

15. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

looking forward to hearing and seeing more! is the car being sprayed by steve k? he is quite a talent!

16. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Yes, Steve Kouracos is painting the car (well, eventually, there's surface work to do before we get to spraying paint).

17. Andrew R.

Andrew R. Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2005
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Updates please on this exciting project!

18. big ease

big ease Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2008
    How about some photos ! This thread gave me hope that one day I can do it too !!

19. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    My apologies for the lack of updates to the thread. For some time now, a certain event in my life has kept me from moving the restoration along like I would like. All of my attention, effort and passion were devoted elsewhere and progress on the car has suffered as a result. I hope to be firing on all cylinders shortly and to be able to update the thread and catch everyone up on all of the progress.

And by the way Ed, you CAN do it too.

20. Dan Ramlose

Dan Ramlose Rookie

Jan 28, 2014
    I have not read all of it, but can say that the car sounded good when my father, Bob Ramlose, had it in his posession (until a carb problem cropped up and he removed the carbs for entirely too long allowing moisture to get into the heads, thus sticking it). In fact, Bob rated that model as having the best tail note of any Italian car (even the 250 Ferraris). It was not the best to drive because of the "balkiness" of the gear box, but I'm certain that the deft touch you'd have acquired upon initial familiarization w/ the car and the mechanical improvements bound to have been incorporated in the restoration will yield a much better driving experience.

Alberto - all I can do is offer my encouragement to get back to this project soon. Remember how much you enjoyed the car before the real work began and keep thinking of how much better it will be once it's complete. Also remember that Miura valuations have been skyrocketing. Done right, you'll be in to 7 figures should you ever decide to part with the car.

Best regards,
    Dan Ramlose

21. Andrew R.

Andrew R. Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2005
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Alberto, glad to hear from you and look forward to updates on your Miura! I have been busy with Miura work as well on the two cars... even though I am mostly doing little things compared to you, it ALL takes time!

22. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Dan:

Thank you for the encouragement and great story. The transmission anecdote mimics what the first owner told me (Dr. Hopf) about his impressions with it. I hope you saw the very first post of this thread where I listed the known owners of the car, including your dad. I spoke with you or one of your brothers a bit after I first got the car (I apologize for not remembering if it was you; it has been quite a while, frankly, I've been meaning to email again, so your post has great timing). I'm still trying to identify the owners of 1021 before your father but after the first owner. If it was you I spoke with, were you ever able to find any additional information (names of previous owners, when your dad purchased it, etc.)? If so, I would greatly appreciate it if you could email or private message me with whatever you may have. Even if they are only hints or guesses at names, locations, etc.

I have scanned pictures that show your father when he sold the car to Larry Menser. If you would like to get them emailed to you, let me know and I will see if I can get them out of the hard drive.

Thank you very much for posting and I hope to hear from you again.

Alberto

23. Dan Ramlose

Dan Ramlose Rookie

Jan 28, 2014
    I still have those photos as it was me that you spoke to & emailed after you acquired the car. I'm sad to report that I have no further information as to the missing owner(s). I will PM you if I ever hear anything.

PS - your mention of my father's name is the reason I found your post. I occasionally search out some of the cars he owned just to see what their web presence is from time to time.

examples:
    275 GTB/4 10017 -he owned it when it was yellow and had alloy wheels.

Detail - 250 GT LWB California Spyder s/n 1057GT -he sold this one while it was in primer, about ready for paint. I have been told that this chassis number is the one he owned, but his name is not in the record for the car... complicated, convoluted ownership *is* reflected by the gap from '59-'70.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1963+Alfa+Romeo+2600+Pininfarina+Speciale&lr=&safe=active&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=gYf7UquKOqiSyQH3_IH4DA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1196&bih=783 -(the green one - that is also red and a convertible in a couple of shots) he owned it when it was black

I'm still looking for any info on the SS100, 300SL Gullwing and Lancia Aurelia spyder he owned for quite a while.

Anyway, best of luck with the Muira and I'll keep an eye on this thread for more photos and such.

24. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Dan:
    Thank you for your response. And please let me know if you ever run across any additional information on previous owners for 1021. Your dad certainly owned some very interesting cars.

Larry Menser, they guy who bought 1021 from your father, told me he also bought a 300SL Gullwing from him. Larry lives in Monterrey (or at least the last time I saw him he still did, many years ago now).

Alberto

25. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    Alberto, since today I have the adress of the person who has the negative of the Image with BL-3806, he said he has also a Picture from behind and knows a Person who might have known Hopf's car in Basel from that period.