Restoration of Miura 1021 | Page 19 | FerrariChat

Restoration of Miura 1021

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by alberto, Feb 5, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Raymond, that's great news. I would love to get more information. Check your pm's.

Alberto

2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

glad you are back at it...this is going to be a spectacular car!!!

3. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #453 alberto, May 12, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2022
    After a multi-year long hiatus, a decent amount of work has been done to Miura 1021 more recently and we are now working steadily on the car. Since my last post, the car has been painted and a large part of the upholstery has been completed. Work on the engine is being restarted and work on the car's other mechanicals is under way. Hardware is being sorted and prepped for plating and we are in the process of procuring original hardware and other pieces where non-original items are found. Procuring original items can be very challenging, but after many, many years of not looking for parts for the car I was surprised at the amount of reproduced parts that are now available, which were not available a few years ago.

Here are a few pictures of the car soon after paint was completed. This is the original color for the car, Rosso Miura. I spent a lot of time ensuring that the match was as perfect as we could get it. There was original paint inside one of the doors and on the trunk lid. We also managed to get the current version of the formulation of the Rosso Miura, which is quite close to the original color, but not exact. I am very happy with the color. It really looks fantastic.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Seba911, ClaxNZ, miurasv and 16 others like this.
  4. MiuraP400

MiuraP400 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2008
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Congratulations. I was just wondering what happened to your car. Glad to hear things are moving along.
    Cheers Jim

5. Joe250

Joe250 Rookie

Oct 4, 2013
    California
    Alberto - I'm so happy to see the project moving forward. It looks amazing. Please continue to post about your progress!

6. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Jim, Joe: I am too! It is great to see things progress.

7. jcosta79

jcosta79 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    LaJonathan
    I had that exact Countach poster on my wall.

8. Kravchak

Kravchak Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2005
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Ken
    that paint looks fantastic

9. cvq

cvq Rookie

Oct 17, 2007
    Alberto, the car looks great and wonderful to see work is progressing. A question about Rosso Miura tho... I am seeing Arancio (orange) in the pics. Am I colorblind or perhaps Rosso Miura has way more yellow in it than I realized?

10. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I agree that it looks "orangy", but to my eye Arancio has a lot less red and when you put them side by side the difference in colors is very easily seen. We matched the color that was on the rear trunk lid and on the inside of the passenger's door, so this color is what was on the car originally. As further confirmation, just as we were getting to the final color match, I discovered the Rosso Miura formulation that the factory used on the limited edition Aventador Miura tribute cars and had it sprayed out on a card and put it side by side with our spray out. The Aventador Rosso Miura color was VERY close to the color match we had independently come up with.

11. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    As did I, which prompted my recent purchase of a white/white Countach, and in fact that prompted my searching for and finding a vintage copy of that poster, which I also purchased. When this fiasco is over, I plan to have it mounted and framed with as close to the same frame I had on my wall as a teenager.

12. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #462 alberto, May 25, 2020
    Found this old picture of 1021. Not sure of the date, but it was taken while it was still owned by Bob Ramlose (who owned it from c.1978 to 1988).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    jcosta79: If you want to relive your youth, someone is selling that poster on fchat:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/147237454/

14. vfinaldi

vfinaldi Formula Junior

We did the same test and the Aventador Miura color is extremely close or perhaps exactly the same as the original. We came to the same conclusion.

15. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #465 alberto, May 30, 2020
    joe sackey, NürScud and EarlyCat like this.
  16. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Vince;
    Yes, they were very, very close. Glad to know we arrived to the same conclusion. It would have saved me a lot of grief if I had had the Aventador formula before we started the paint match!

vfinaldi likes this.
  17. Dan Ramlose

Dan Ramlose Rookie

Jan 28, 2014
    Paint looks great, and this will be a Miura with straight louvers under its chin (surprisingly rare).
    That photo (woman standing next to it when it was white) was almost certainly shot in '77 or '78 in Buena Park near Kitty's residence.

No progress yet on the owner previous to Bob Ramlose... still working on it.

18. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Thank you Bob, I appreciate any insight into additional history of the car. The vertical spacing between the louvers on the very early cars is actually a fair bit smaller than on the cars that followed. It's a difference that you don't even notice unless you look for it and you have a very early car and a later car side by side.

19. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #469 alberto, Aug 4, 2020
  20. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #470 alberto, Aug 4, 2020
  21. Joe250

Joe250 Rookie

Oct 4, 2013
    California
    My guess: part of the parking brake handle assembly.

22. Lel

Lel Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2007
    Door stops on early Miuras!
    L-E

alberto likes this.
  23. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    L-E for the win!

The driver's side door on this car was replaced relatively early on in its life. They used a later Miura door that had the "normal" single strap door stop. I was initially going to leave it as a small testament to its history, but given that I am going to great lengths to return the car to as original as possible, warts and all, I thought better of it. Turned out to be way easier than I thought it would be (there was some cutting on the door internals that had to be performed, always a worrisome thing after the car has been painted). Not sure anyone but me would've noticed that, but now any other super observant person won't notice any difference between the right and left door stops.

Lemacc likes this.
  24. LC3929

LC3929 Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    Good decision! And yes, L-E is very competent.
    You car will be great.

Lemacc likes this.