Restored F-Car... anyone know this car? | FerrariChat

Restored F-Car... anyone know this car?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Moondog, Feb 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Moondog

Moondog Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    North Carolina
    I copied my own reply to a prev. thread. After writing it earlier today, I thought I'd pose the question to all F-Chat users. I don't know the model or s/n. Perhaps somone knows of this and can tell me where the car is and what model it was.

I've got one for you... perhaps someone knows where this car is today.

This is the story, as I know it....

When I was about 8 yrs old my parents lived in Novi, Michigan. A good friend of my fathers, Mr. E.B. was an engineer for Chrysler, (I know him as well, but I'll only use his initials), was traveling on business in Europe. He at some point saw a frame/chassis of a car while driving somewhere. Apparently it was the remains of a Ferrari. He eventually had the frame and pieces shipped to him here in the states.

E.B. completly sealed the garage door closed and began the restoration. I do not know how long it took, but I remember him letting me into the garage once to show me the car. I was perhaps 10 years old at the time, which would have been 1979. A few years later, I remember Mr. B. driving the car down the street very slowly. He told me later that the car was almost complete, but the brake sys would lose pressure and he had to pump excessivly to stop, even at slower speeds.

A short time later (1-2 yrs max) I heard Mr. B. had sold the car to "Ferrari." I'm not sure who actually bought the car, but I do remember pedaling my mongoose BMX (very cool at the time) bike as fast as I could to catch a glimpse of the car hauler with the huge Ferrari logo on it as it made its way through the streets of our subdivision.

When I was 10 my father died and when I was 12 or 13 Mr. and Mrs. B. divorced and I never saw him again. I later ended up dating Mr. B's daughter for a while, but never saw him or spoke to him again.

To this day I wonder just what model car did Mr. B. discover and restore, who really bought it, and where is it today?

Moondog

2. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Moondog,

You once knew a guy (who's name you won't reveal). This guy restored an old Ferrari...

...and from that you want us to tell you what car it was? How about giving us the guys name or even a description of the car? I love these mystery-car things and would be happy to help you identify the car but, geesh, give us something to go on here!

3. J Nicks

J Nicks Karting

Dec 4, 2003
    Why don't you contact Mr. B's Daughter, Whom you used to date, and ask her how to contact her father, and then ask him..... Make sense?

4. Moondog

Moondog Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    North Carolina
    Yep.. I knew it was a longshot...and I expected to hear some grief.

I could track down his daughter, but I don't think that would be the highlight of her day, (or her mother's).

And, as I thought about it.. what difference does it make if I reveal his name here?

His name is Ernie Barry.

The car was restored in his garage in Novi, MI between approx. 1975-1982.

I was thinking that someone who may have provided tech assistance or parts may remember the car and Mr. Barry. There were not to many F-cars in the area at that time, to say the least.

Sorry for the weak trail of info, but its all I've got!

Moondog

5. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Sometimes, Moondog, that's all it takes:

S/N 5487 GT
    250 GT/L Scaglietti Berlinetta Lusso
    Chassis Tipo 539 U
    Motor Tipo 168 U No.
    Gearbox Tipo 539 U No.
    Differential Tipo 539 U No.
    Manufactured 1964

The car was originally silver with black leather, first owner unknown. By the early 1970s it was with an American owner living in Germany. In 1972, it was brought to Auto Becker in Dusseldorf for service and never picked up! Proprietor Helmut Becker was never able to contact the car's owner and he sold it on December 12, 1974 to an "M. Lampe."

Sometime around 1975, the car was brought to the US, where it is known to have been owned by Ernie Barry of Novi, MI by 1976. Mr. Barry restored the car to rosso scurro (dark red) with tan leather and offered it for sale in 1983, describing it in his Ferrari Market Letter ad as having a "recent restoration--engine, drivetrain, exterior, interior, exhaust & wheels." The car is pictured at this time in the FCA publication, Prancing Horse (issues #65 and #69) and it was reportedly sold to someone one the west coast in 1984.

In 1989, it was again offered for sale in the Ferrari Market Letter, this time by Ray Van Zelst of Brookfield, WI for $399,000. It was described as: "Burgundy with new tan interior. 3,500 miles on complete engine and chassis rebuild."

It was later advertised for sale (in both 1991 and 1992) by Massimo Conti of Paris France: "Red with tan interior. Perfect. Car is in Italy." The asking price this time was $250,000 and M. Conti's telephone number was given as 0033-1-43340013.

Ciao!:)

6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    wow...all that from a name..Wayne, you are the man!

Do you have a pic of the car or one similar?

Tom

7. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    geeze Wayne, thats really cool you can find that info so fast! ferrari needs to put you on the payroll as a historian and give you a nice GTO to play with!!!

8. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    What's scary is that there are about 200 people that have this much (or more) information on the cars.

9. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    234 but not all of them would get it right...

10. Moondog

Moondog Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    North Carolina
    Wayne,

I'm stunned...

Wow, thanks for the info. The fact that you had access to all of that information is nothing short of amazing to me.

You really are "The Man" as stated above.

Thanks again,

Moondog