Restoring old 308 "Dino" Space Saver Spare Wheel | FerrariChat

Restoring old 308 "Dino" Space Saver Spare Wheel

Discussion in '308/328' started by dave80gtsi, Jun 30, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    #1 dave80gtsi, Jun 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just picked up an old (date stamped 1977 on the back) "Dino" space saver spare wheel for $25.00.

Couple of questions:

a) Anyone know who may be able to provide a new tire in size T105/80 R 18 (or, just plain old 105 R 18)? Yes, I've already tried all of the familiar vendors, both in the Ferrari parts world as well as in the antique / weird tire world. No luck so far.

b) How can I determine if this wheel is made from Aluminum or Magnesium?

c) I would like to locate a replacement sticker (see second picture), but nothing of the sort is shown to be available at our friendly parts vendors.

d) At the least, could someone who has one of these stickers be willing to take a clear close-up of it so that I could see what it says and perhaps try my hand at reproducing one?

Thanks and Cheers - DM
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Nice find Dave.

I read years ago that no tire exist for the rim. I tried looking at motorcycle tires but came up with nothing.

If you ever find out a vendor or source. please let me know.

BTW, here's a link to my thread i did a while back. http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209893

3. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #3 Owens84QV, Jun 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Compliments of Franc Wijdeveld here on FChat. He sent them to me because one of my projects is to reproduce these decals.

The decal on the wheel is sized 95 x 24 mm. The text is printed on plain white paper.

The decal on the tyre is sized 75 x 33 mm. the text is printed on a glossy / shiny grey paper.

4. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Great! Exactly what I was seeking - many thanks!

One question down, three yet to go!

Before I duplicate your efforts, by any chance were you successful in reproducing these decals? If so, I'd be willing to purchase same from you.

Thanks again - DM

5. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Dave...to be honest, I haven't even started. About the time I was to begin, I started traveling a lot and had also started the QA1 suspension upgrade. So...time has gotten away from me.