Retiring to Georgia | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Retiring to Georgia

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by D.Mauro, Mar 19, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CharlesE

CharlesE Formula 3

Nov 19, 2007
    Johns Creek GA
    Full Name:
    Charles E
    my wife wants to retire on the beach and I want to retire in the mountains. I guess the beach is in my future :(

2. DXB599

DXB599 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

We still have a home in Atlanta (Roswell) and both of my kids live in Buckhead, so am extremely familiar with the area.

I think it would be helpful for you to provide a bit more info such as approximate price range, whether you are a golfer, or looking for a more rural setting. The Buckhead area is close to everything (best restaurants, shopping, airport) and numerous housing choices from about $1 million to $10 million all on 1 acre to 5 acre lots. Drawback is city of Atlanta property taxes are more than twice as high as surrounding suburbs.

Further north, Roswell, and Milton are the top areas with lots of large homes and large acreage available. $1 million and up will get you a very nice home, though even around $600K would get you 4,000 s/f brick home on an acre lot with 3-car garage. Plenty of golf course communities in all price ranges. If you're a boater, then consider something on Lake Lanier and you would still be close to good shopping, medical, and restaurants.

F-car dealer is in Roswell / Alpharetta.

Cost of living, mild climate and the ability to travel anywhere in the world with direct flights are a real benefit of Atlanta.

3. D.Mauro

D.Mauro Formula 3

Jun 18, 2006
    Cumming/ Hlwd Fl
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Thank You again everyone for your input and suggestions
    Our need for my wife and I and pets are as follows
    1-2 acres
    2 story
    3-4 Bedrooms
    2 or more car garage, room to build more garages
    pool or we can build one
    20x40 kennel for two G shepherds
    20 to 30 min from Atl.
    We are retiring, do not need a large house, extra bedrooms when children visit.
    350-500k
    Dominick

4. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    Atlanta has a very large footprint and growing, "in close" properties ( minimum commute ) demand a premium above you price point, there are areas that meet your criteria, but not your price point... Atlanta is getting dense with property sizes being reduced to under 1/2 acre due to land costs... in desirable areas it is not unusual to see large homes ( 1 million+ ) on 1/4 acre lots on which formally were single family homes, to better absorb land costs. What does "Atlanta" mean. New construction ( as a generalization ) happens 15-30 miles outside the 285/perimeter hwy...

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    There was a development built on Lower Roswell Road in east Cobb about 8-10 years ago, with large, million-dollar homes that were practically right next to each other! I doubt if they even had 1/4 acre.

6. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    with the value of dollar going in the toilet and land costs going to the moon, it does not make sense to build a small house on a large lot ( probably anywhere in the world in a large metro area )... Mauro will need to make concessions on his wish list to stay on budget... the upside, there is little reason to go to "Atlanta" except for the occasional special event... while most contain their activities to their general part of town where they live... there is little need to go another part of the metro area... the on going joke is if we were in Europe one would need to go through a couple of countries, would be the same as going from the northern part of Atlanta to the southern part... making a couple of appointments on opposite ends of town on the same day could easily involve travelling 200 or more miles...

7. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    20 - 30 minutes ?

meaningless here. it has taken me that long to go from paces/northside to peachtree

8. chnco

chnco Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Allen C
    That is an ideal budget, if it weren't for the lot size. As he mentioned, the kids are gone and not too big of a house.

I would check the Smyrna area closer to Vinings. Woodstock sounds ideal for a bigger lot, growing very fast, and slightly further when no traffic around.

9. Tubracer

Tubracer Rookie

Nov 27, 2015
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Sounds like Peachtree City or Newnan is where you should look.

10. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    When my wife, chidren, and I moved to Grayson almost 20 years to the month, it was mostly horse country. Subdivisions were sparsely sprinkled and large tracts of horse acreage abounded. At night you were treated to a beautiful array of bright stars contrasted with the dark night sky.

Currently we are surrounded by new and relatively new subdivisions with more on the way. More traffic noise is annoying. There are still some horse acreages left. All the main road arteries have more and more businesses springing up. The once scenic highways are gone! More apartments being built with the comensurate problems they bring like transient populations. :( All but the brightest stars are now only visible on a clear night.

For some of us who used to make the driving trek up to the mountains for spirited driving, [I'm not naming names, you know who you are] know this growth rate scenario as we have watched the transformation of highway 400 and points north.

The rate of growth for Atlanta is rapid depending on your perspective I suppose. When retirement time rolles around, a 2 hour drive to Atlanta proper will be part of my requirement criteria. Lake living is nice!

Just Sayin!

Ciao,
    George

11. D.Mauro

D.Mauro Formula 3

Jun 18, 2006
    Cumming/ Hlwd Fl
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    We have found quite a few properties that fit our needs in different City's. Thank You everyone for you input and suggestions.
    Dominick

12. FerrariNashville

Jul 30, 2015
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Camden Goddard
    What about Nashville TN?? Great area! New and upcoming but still a great city to retire in

13. D.Mauro

D.Mauro Formula 3

Jun 18, 2006
    Cumming/ Hlwd Fl
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    My wife and I recently purchased, and closed on a house is Woodstock. The house fit all of our needs. Three bedroom, 3-1/2, finished basement,2 car garage . The bonus was the separate 2 car garage 24x24 with second floor, perfect for office and media room. Great for watching F1 once I finish it. it is located in a small development with access to lake Altoona.
    We will be living there part time for now. We will be looking forward to meet some new people and, some drives, car shows, in the future.

I would like to thank everyone for their and suggestions.
    Dominick

14. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Welcome, if there is anything we can do to help please let us know.

15. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Welcome!

there's a car cruise on the 29th in acworth. That's close to you. I'll probably be there with my GTX.

sjd

16. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Nice! I'm down in that area for work quite a bit. Congrats.

17. D.Mauro

D.Mauro Formula 3

Jun 18, 2006
    Cumming/ Hlwd Fl
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Thank you, right now everything is going perfect.

Thank you, I will miss this one, whereas I am back in fl. We will be traveling back and forth for a while.
    Thank You I will be back around the 4 of August, I will let you know

Dominick

18. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    No you want Greenville SC. Come visit and you will know why. Listed as one of the best small cities in America. But if it where me I'd choose Asheville in summer and somewhere warmer in winter although it's not really that cold there.

19. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Nice was hoping you would show that.

20. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Hi David,

Yes, Greenville is a really nice city with a great size,amenities to boot and a beautiful river park in downtown central. The northern half of South Carolina - Lake Keowee and parts north are beautiful. The Cliffs communities were much to our liking and we almost pulled the trigger on that, but in the final analysis, too far away from family and friends.

Just Sayin!

Ciao,
    George

21. tazz99

tazz99 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2007
    Kennesaw, GA
    Full Name:
    Seth
    I'm just down the road from you in Kennesaw. If I can do anything for you please give me a shout. PM sent with phone number.

22. chnco

chnco Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Allen C
    I'm in Kennesaw as well. Glad we could help with city suggestions! My family owns a restaurant in Woodstock, check it out, Happy China. Let me know if you need anything! I'm at Caffeine and Exotics pretty regularly.

23. D.Mauro

D.Mauro Formula 3

Jun 18, 2006
    Cumming/ Hlwd Fl
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Thank you, I sent you a PM

Thank you, It might be a while before I can go to one, I will be there this weekend I will PM you my cell

24. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Hey Dom!! Welcome my friend!! Glad to hear the great news! Looking forward to getting together neighbor! :)

25. D.Mauro

D.Mauro Formula 3

Jun 18, 2006
    Cumming/ Hlwd Fl
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I am in Fl, I am also looking forward to getting together.Will be back this Saturday.