Retro airline liveries | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Retro airline liveries

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Fave, Apr 28, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Just because Doug Parker was the key player in those 2 mergers AWA is dead. Once they became US Air lots of the employees of US started to resent the fact that the AWA employees got preferential treatment. On a recent AA flight a few of the flight attendants stated "If you are not Phoenix based you are the scum of the earth at AA!" this was from one that is out of Dallas.

The culture has turned quite toxic at AA so much that felt there customer service was worse than United when they were going through bankruptcy.

2. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Still my favorite American Airlines livery was on the old Condors with the dark Blue, Orange and White trim. It was the first to use the lightning strike down the side of the fuselage. This has made me recall the first American Airlines 707 that came back to Renton with the paint peeling off the nose. The old Dupont auto paint wasn't hacking the changes from plus 70 deg. to minus 70 deg. and 600mph in a matter of minutes. It required a new paint process to make it work. Just one of many things that we learned in 1957-1958.

3. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I had the pleasure of flying the KC-135A at Castle AFB! We'd push the power up to a certain EPR and then the water would start. The noise was deafening. The airplane vibrated so much you could barely read the instrument panel. After what seemed like 25 seconds the airplane would slowly start to accelerate. At that time we had a navigator and part of his takeoff duties was to hack the clock and give us a countdown until water run out. You had to have the gear and flaps up and essentially zero climb when the water ran out. Things suddenly got very quiet and it felt like two of the four engines quit running! What an experience! I couldn't believe how slowly the big jet accelerated, I'm sure the fact we were in the middle of California in the summer with temps in the 90s didn't help. I had just come from flying the A-10, another underpowered jet, and the KC-135A made the A-10 feel like a rocket ship.

Island Time and Jacob Potts like this.
  4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    When I was a kid in Puerto Rico, my dad had gotten privileges in the Pan Am Clipper Club in the terminal at SJU. Every time we went to the airport - he went quite often to pick up cargo - I would spend time in the club watching planes take off on what at the time was SJU's only runway, which was 10,000 feet long. It was appalling how much of the runway the early jets used before rotating, in a cloud of black smoke. And even though the big windows in the Clipper Club were noise-insulated, the roar of the engines was quite noticeable. A few years later, when the same aircraft switched to JT3D turbofans, the much shorter takeoff rolls and relative lack of noise and smoke were immediately apparent.

(In fact, my dad told me about one flight he was taking to NYC where the pilot actually aborted the takeoff because he felt he was using too much of the runway. He taxiied back to the head end and tried again, successfully!)

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I had the experience of being at the end of the runway at Larsen AFB when a maximum effort scramble took place with their B-52's and KC-135's. The shriek of the KC's was painful and seemed to be louder than the B-52's. The smoke was so thick after the first two or three launches that you couldn't see anything until an airplane burst out of it , usually heading left or right . A frightening sight.

Jacob Potts likes this.
  6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    When you watch the MITO sequence in the movie "A Gathering of Eagles", you get the same sensation. Each following B-52 seems to burst out of the smoke cloud on the runway as it takes off. It's probably the highlight of the movie.

7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I've never flown American, and I haven't flown United in years. Based on what I've read recently about both airlines, I don't think I really want to fly them. (Besides, I don't like their current liveries, anyway.) I'm happy with Delta and Southwest, which are almost what you have to fly out of ATL - between them they have probably 90% of all the flights here.

paulyp likes this.
  8. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    You learn something new everyday they say, and this was no exception, never heard of this technology.

Read up on it, quite interesting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_707

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pratt_%26_Whitney_J57

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_injection_(engine)

9. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    From what I remember, the ADI initially had the affect of lowering blade clearance between the blade tip and case in the low stage compressor . It lowered the temperature in the burner cans, prevented pre-ignition and flame creep. Allowed a higher rate of fuel to be used without overheating.

Jacob Potts likes this.
  10. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Thanks, thought it was only to add mass to the exhaust.

11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Water injection was used on fighters too, those powered by the J-75 specifically, like the F-105 and F-106.

Jacob Potts likes this.
  12. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

...and the J79 as in the F-4 Phantom II... Pilots in Vietnam knew that the Migs could see them for miles before sighting the aircraft by the long black exhaust plume... a real hindrance.

I remember seeing a video of a Navy Hydrofoil that used J79 power... blasting along with a huge black exhaust plume from the stack.

Jacob Potts likes this.
  13. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

14. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
  15. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Just one last thing to think about on the water injection is the water was distilled. 640 gallons on each takeoff.

16. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Well, I made another error in the keel beam capacity by stating that it held 254 gallons. Darn typos get me all the time because I never make misteaks. I came close, though, I only missed it by 400 gallons. Yeah, that is a big keel beam and I should have checked my resources instead of relying on flash memory. ADI--Anti Detonation Injection. I think that I remembered that correctly.

17. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Don't feel bad, j had to look it up myself. On a side note there are stories of regular and not distilled water being used, not a good outcome.

18. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    #43 Island Time, May 1, 2018
    Last edited: May 1, 2018
    energy88 and Fave like this.
  19. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I thought this thread was only supposed to be about NEW aircraft that had OLD liveries.....

20. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Jim, it's one of them SEGOOEY things that go from one thing to another without you knowing it. It is nice to see the old liveries but it's also nice to see things like the beautiful 727-200's.

21. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    I don't know what the story is here, but this is a photo I took in November 2009 at Washington National Airport (DCA) of a US Airways aircraft with the Piedmont logo on the tail. Upon checking, the Piedmont name and logo still operates thru American Airlines as a regional feeder airline on small airplanes and they even have their own web site. The logo reminds me of what some railroads did several years ago in painting their locomotives in liveries of predecessor railroads who were merged over the years.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piedmont_Airlines

Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    In that case, consider this: while the introduction of jets in 1959 persuaded some airlines to come up with completely new liveries, such as Pan Am (with the famous blue globe) and United, Delta's famous "widget" scheme was not among them. As seen here, the DC-8 and CV-880 had new schemes, but were completely different aside from the fact that they used red and blue. Even the font types used for the "Delta Air Lines" legend were entirely different!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The widget first appeared in brochures advertising Delta's "Royal Jet Service" but did not appear on aircraft until Delta put the DC-8-50 in service in 1962, and the older DC-8s were repainted fairly quickly. But the 880s stuck to the scheme above well into the '60s, even beyond the time when the fuselage legend was shortened simply to "Delta". Only sometime thereafter were the 880s converted to the widget scheme. Note how in the brochure widget, the white area represents the DC-8's wings. Supposedly the blue field represented the sky, and the red field the exhaust from the jet engines!

24. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Uniquely on the early DC-9s, Delta turned the widget so that it faced forward rather than up, even on the forward fuselage and the engines. The later DC-9s returned the widget to its normal orientation. This was not done on any other Delta type.