Retrobird | FerrariChat

Retrobird

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by boxerman, Apr 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Anybody have thoughts on the 02-05 Tbird.
    Summer is coming and prices of these seem reasonable.

Jag XK8s seem reasonable too.

2. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Yeah, what the hell are you thinking? You cannot compare the two you have listed. Are you after price or what? How do you plan to use them? Regardless, for me I would not consider either almost anything. But you DID ASK.

anunakki likes this.
  3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Summer car for daughter to use while she is home. Not too expensive and big and heavy which wife likes.
    Used SUV's are way more expensive and more complex to run.

You can buy one of these cars with under 50k miles for what it cost to buy a 90kmile mini.

Seems like a lot of car for the money and strangely intriguing.

4. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    That two or three year run for the T birds, many unique parts, unique motor, trans, etc.

Simple Repairs can get real expensive real quick..

5. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Presumably the wife likes big and heavy because of the fallacy that they are safer? If you want a safe car for ~$15-20k, get her a new hatchback. Would be safer, cheaper to run and maintain, more reliable, and drive a heck of alot better.

6. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    You know I have to give you thanks for not ripping my ass. While my tone was joking like among us guys I also had a couple of stiffs ones tossed down. Rereading what I posted was a little sobering. But onward and upward is the motto. So now that you have provided clarity it makes more sense. As for me, my daughter is off at Texas Tech. We bought her a new Tiguaun (something like that) from VW because: A) Cheap at $200/mth for 30mths B) New with warranty and maintenance C) Reliable D) Affordable insurance E) I was doing crack at the time. After two accidents in Lubbock this year I should never have done this. Neither was her fault per the police reports but my wallet does not know that. It would have been the same if I bought a used car for her except the repairs might not happen and they total it instead. Either way, we are going to pay. All the best. And ironically, Wreck Em Tech!

of2worlds likes this.
  7. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I looked at leasing. The thing is it’s only for 4 months that we need a car for her then she is going to uk. So if I lease then there is just an extra car hanging about .

But somehow if that extra car is something
    I might like to own for fun, then I do t mind hanging onto it.

So it’s lease a new car let’s say a Kia at 4-5k over 2 years plus insurance, or get something old and cool which maybe if I buy right I can sell for a loss of 2-4K but might beat to keep.

I drove a third today, it was pretty cool for what it is a nice small cruiser. Really nice seats and lots of character.

Also looking at jag xk8s. While my mom has had a very reliable s type jag still scares me .

8. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    After my experience stick to a budget and get whatever you want. I have paid enough in deductibles that I would have totaled a cheap car and bought another. Should have never listened to those saying "its your daughter. Don't you want her safe? Not broken down on the side of road? Has a maintenance included? Yada, yada, yada. Those types are never the one paying for it either. I do recommend staying away from the jag unless you know it to be in good condition then go for it.

9. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Get her a newer wrangler. After she leaves, sell it if you don’t like it. As long as it’s not trashed you shouldn’t loose much.
    As for the Tbird, it was almost a cool car. But it was missing the point. Interior is not great. And they aren’t cheap to keep goin. Same as the Lincoln LS and Jag S type it shares its chassis and drivetrain with.

10. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Just buy a 04-07 Honda Accord V6. Solid motor, good power for traffic, room inside and you will sell it quick and get your money back. You could even get a stick if your daughter is into a standard - she should be being your daughter. :)

Had one I used to go back and forth to work did 60K + miles a year and it ran like a top when Sandy took it at 230K miles.