Retrofitting central locking on a 308? | FerrariChat

Retrofitting central locking on a 308?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by tomoshea, Dec 8, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomoshea

tomoshea Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    Ireland
    Full Name:
    Tom O'Shea
    Has anyone ever retrofitted a central locking system on a 308/ 308gt4 out there?

I am tyring to find parts that work and instructions from anyone who has done it?

Cheers

Tom

2. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I remember someone doing this years ago. Try searching the body of texts in the old fchat archives for things like: lock solenoid ...

Also think someone posted about adopting a 328 dual power lock system to a 308.

3. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Both myself and Mike328 wrote detailed posts on this a few years back . You may have to check the archives of the old F-chat but it is certainly there with pictures.

4. LarryS

LarryS Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2003
    Fremont, CA
    Full Name:
    Larry S
    I put a J C Whitney remote door lock kit on my 84 308 after previously reading the above mentioned posts, the door lock solenoids are exact bolt in replacements for the items Ferrari uses. I mounted the receiver/controller in the drivers door (you're not supposed to do that), I put it in a small plastic bubble wrap bag with the bottom open for condensation. All wires, including a constant hot are available in the drivers door. I also hooked up a led that blinks when you lock doors with remote (no alarm).
    You need a pretty good understanding of electrical wiring.
    The door locks have worked flawlessly for about a year now.

remote door lock kit:
    http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2001411/showCustom-0/p-2001411/N-111+600000480+10201/c-10101

5. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    I had a local car stereo/alarm company add the electric locks on my 308 when thay installed the alarm system. I think is was less than $100 to add the lock solenoid.

6. tomoshea

tomoshea Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    Ireland
    Full Name:
    Tom O'Shea
    Thansk Guys,

I will look at the options you recommend.

Cheers

Tom

7. ham308

ham308 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    NE Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Richard Ham
    LarryS, a couple of questions.

Do you know if this kit will also work on the older 308's (1979 to be precise)? The locks are completely manual at the moment, so no solenoid to replace. Was yours also manual to start with and if so does the keyhole still operate as an overide if the system fails?

If it works well, at that price, it looks like a very useful mod. Something you could do whilst trying to get your windows to go faster!

8. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I have a 1977 308, with purely mechanical locks as well, and would like to upgrade to remote actuation, but frankly these locks seems kind of fragile.
    Are they up tho the stress/torque of an electric solenoid/actuator?

Greg

9. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
  10. LarryS

LarryS Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2003
    Fremont, CA
    Full Name:
    Larry S
    Sure, the kit will work.
    I don't know if the 2V cars have the solenoid mounts made right into the inner door frame like mine (just 2 small holes for the mounting screws that go into the plastic solenoid), but it's a universal kit and mounting the solenoids and attaching the connecting rod is no big deal. My 308 came with electric (not remote) door locks which didn't work. The external key will still work, although you will feel it moving the gears in the solenoid, good news is you'll never use the key hole again! And yes, I was working on the windows at the same time.....

11. gerritv

gerritv Formula 3

Jun 18, 2001
    St Catharines
    Full Name:
    Gerrit
    Rob, I'll need a video of that, any chance of getting one?

Hehe, just kidding. this might be my winter project. Just have to insualte the ceiling in garage and I can work in relative comfort this winter.

Gerrit

12. ham308

ham308 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    NE Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Richard Ham
    Bit uncalled for, I thought

Now where's mi eggy soldiers? :)

13. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    My 1980 308 was strictly manual, I didn't watch the guy install the electric lock solenoid but it works well, can still use the key if needed and best of all the doors lock autimatically when I start the car and the doors are closed.