Return from Barrett-Jackson 2004 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Return from Barrett-Jackson 2004

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by sagaponack, Jan 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Well, they looked okay but I didn't sit in any of them. However, when the race car rolled off the block and out the tent, the new owner was walking up to it and it started making this horrendous racket. It could have been stuck throwout bearing or something like that from the sound and the old owner went white. He pushed the clutch in an out a few times and revved it and the noise went away but boy was that embarrasing.

2. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    anybody get a good look at the '87 412, Red, that supposedly sold for $32k+ ??
    Listed as an automatic, and even with the 8% fee, is $35-ish a good price for
    whatever shape this car was in?

I, too, found the whole auction to be a hype session for a lot 60s/70s Detroit iron...
    pretty boring, actually, as other than an occasional Stingray, the other stuff didn't
    interest me...didn't interest me much when new, doesn't interest me much 30-40 yrs
    later, either :)

Sure looked like several people in the bidding crowd got worked over by the 'ring guys'...
    As for Amy...well, maybe a bit of eye candy, but the only way she'd get an extra $10k
    outa me would be for 'extra' considerations :) :) ...seems like nice lady, tho...

3. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I only glanced quickly at this car. But, the red paint from about 5-10ft away looked good. Appeared very clean the interior I only looked at for a few minutes, but appeared normal to have normal wear.
    Erik

4. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    The '69 Z28 Camaro that went for $112K to the whacko in the yellow jacket just blew me away. Even with the rare option package it had, that was a $50K car max. They had 3 buyers going hard on that one and it was clear that the car sold on pure stubborness. 2 guys on TV, neither one is going to be the "loser". Well..... being the winner cost this guy $60K+.

The Hennessey Venom Viper conversion with 600+hp and something like 1500 miles sold for like $59K. That I thought was a pretty good deal. $100K or so worth of hotrod track car modifications and such for about a $10K premium.

If I were going to sell my car at auction.... I would not take it to BJ. They just dont draw the exotic car crowd. If I had a really shiny muscle car that I wanted to get double retail for..... BJ all the way baby! Those guys are masters at turning ego into cash.

Terry

5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You got that right. BJ is NOT the place to sell (or buy) Ferraris. There must be a whole subculture of guys whose idea of a hobby is to buy a muscle car with the idea of fixing it up, putting it on the trailer, and taking it to BJ. While they're there, they buy another one to do it all over again for next year. Bottom line is that these guys have zero interest in furrin cars.

DrTax

6. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Agreed. American and shiny was the theme this year.

7. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I agree that this year was a muscle car takeover, but remember last year BJ had a lot more f-cars including a 275gts and F40 which brought high numbers. Also the jag that was up near a million or the real gt40 for almost a half million. The cars show up just not this year.
    Erik

8. goyal99

goyal99 Karting

Mar 5, 2002
    Upstate NY - USA
    Full Name:
    V K
    I'd rather personally buy a car on eBay that pay those over-inflated car prices + buyer's fee at the glorified BJ auctions....

VK

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    1995 must of been the year to go, 40 Ferraris or so...

1963 FERRARI 250 GT LUSSO 2-DR BERLINETTA SOLD 122,000
    1967 FERRARI 275 GTB/4 COUPE BID 260,000
    1967 FERRARI GTB/4 COUPE BID 240,000
    1972 FERRARI 365 GTC/4 2-DR COUPE SOLD 1,000

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    1996, 40 Ferraris...

1961 FERRARI 250 GTS SPYDER SOLD 97,125
    1962 FERRARI 250 GT PF CABRIOLET SERIES II CONVERTIBLE SOLD 112,500
    1963 FERRARI 250 GT LUSSO SOLD 155,000
    1967 FERRARI 275 GTB/4 BERLINETTA SOLD 252,000
    1971 FERRARI 365 GTB/4 SOLD 110,250

11. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    This was the first year I did NOT go to Barrett-Jackson auction since 1984. I went to Cavallino instead and had about 1,000% more fun!

Last year, Barrett Jackson just seemed to be WAY overcrowded. Over 90% of the people who go there anymore don't know squat about cars, they are just there for all the hype -- include al this Speedvision coverage. It is true that once the camera turns off, the place just sort of shifts gears. I'm just not a big fan of hype.

And whether buying or selling a car at that place, you're paying through the gills for commissions, fees, transport costs, etc. No thanks.

The final straw last yeaer was when the handicapped parking area was full. My father has become handicapped, and after being harassed by their idiot site security morons, I got to witness my dad crawl across the floor of an ill-equipped "handicapped van" because they wouldn't even let me stop in front of the main gate long enough to drop him off. I wrote Craig Jackson a letter about the abomidanble treatment of us "long-timer" attendees, and he didn't even have the courtesy of replying.

Bye bye Barrett-Jackson. Not for me.

Cavallino rocks, by the way. It was awesome.

12. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

Folks, like I said, I was there last year and Craig Jackson was pretty frank about the future of BJ. Sure the high dollar cars last year and in previous years were Furrin cars, but the meat of the thing is American iron. Indeed, he predicted last year that 2004 would be even higher and higher. The average age of the Baby Boomers is just about 55, and they all want the cars they couldn't buy back in their younger days. In Omaha and elsewhere, this means "BORN IN THE USA!"

DrTax

13. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    Was there $200000 in gold or dope in the back of the 37 Lincoln that went for $400000

14. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    no it was Jimmy Hoffas body.

15. Steve Darrah

Steve Darrah Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Midlothian, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Stephen C. Darrah
    Snj5 and Markpdx-you guys made my day! Those photos are great!!!!!!

16. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    DrTax I agree with you about baby boomers wanting to buy the cars they couldn't afford when they were younger. The one thing though I think this year why we didn't even see any $500k cars is the fact that interest rates are so low. These people that have these super expensive exotics aren't going to sell them to collect almost nothing on their money. They are better off just keeping the car which could go up in value more then the interest on the car would IMHO.
    Erik

17. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I think this car went before TV coverage but there was a like 54 vette hotrod that sold for a high amount of money that had craked fiberglass on the front panel and rear quarter panel the car look bad.
    Erik

18. sagaponack

sagaponack Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Rob
    It may be a good place to buy ferraris. Everyone is there to buy Detroit, no one understands Ferraris, especially Vintage ones.

You can get a fair deal because of ignorance. Forget anything American on the buy side. And you are right, the perfect place to sell American.

www. bridgehamptonmotoringclub.com

19. 365GTC

365GTC Rookie

Dec 29, 2003
    Lexington, Virginia
    What were impressions of the Ghibli Spyder and Cut Daytona? Both appeared very respectable and the Spyder brought $120K.This was my first trip to BJ....stayed 3 hours Thursday and opted for a Sedona scenic tour in a Waco bi-plane instead!I got to the RM Auction late,but the iron was far more interesting.Did anyone else attend?

20. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

I was at both the B-J and RM auctions. I did not by anything, although I did bid on a couple of interesting cars, including a 1967 Renault Alpine rally car.

21. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Ghibli I loved. That car is amazing, and is one of my favorite cars of all time. The paint was good as was the interior, but I didn't look at the car long or thoroughly as I knew my Dad wouldn't bid on it.
    Erik

22. CarStore

CarStore Karting

Sep 19, 2003
    We spent our weekend at Barrett-Jackson also. You older Fcar fans may remember the super inflated prices of the Ferraris years back. A lot of people lost a lot of money when the market corrected.
    These people who bought the American iron over the weekend (and the last year) will be feeling similar pain in the next few years.
    A 69 Camaro or a F355 Spyder for less money???
    Give me the Ferrari..

Tom Mellett
    www.carstoreofglenside.com