Return to the Game? | FerrariChat

Return to the Game?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Tessmar, Aug 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tessmar

Tessmar Rookie

Jun 26, 2018
    Sierra Nevada foothills
    Full Name:
    Marty Stein
    I am not new to Ferraris...in fact quite the opposite. I owned at 250GTE Series III (S/N 4217) for 25 years, back in the days of the FOC SF Region and an era when Steve Earle might well be driving Lou Sellei's 250LM in the Virginia City Hillclimb and it was not uncommon for a group of ten or 12 of us to drive the cars at crazy speeds down the coast to San Simeon or some such place for our events.

I sold the car when there did not seem to be anyplace to use it anymore and it was always the oldest car in an FCA local gathering. Many of us started racing, mainly with other types of cars (my first instructor was David Love in his 250TR). Ernie Mendicki convinced me that a 750 Siata "Baby Ferrari" like his was the way to get into the sport, and so I have been continually racing my blue and very historic ST402 for 35+ years.

I have recently been toying with the idea of buying another Ferrari...the first one which catches my fancy is the same sort of 308 which was a current model at the time I left the club, though I kept the 250 for many years after. I would like some input from any willing members about these variants and other models in a similar price range, but I will ask for that information in a more appropriate forum.

I've attached a photo of the 250 taken just before I parted with it. I still miss it and that wonderful Colombo V12. Image Unavailable, Please Login

lee-o, VColin and mchas like this.
  2. Mmckee

Mmckee Formula 3
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2016
    Alta Loma, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mike
    308 sounds good to me

3. Tessmar

Tessmar Rookie

Jun 26, 2018
    Sierra Nevada foothills
    Full Name:
    Marty Stein
    Thanks. What FJ do you have? I raced a Quantum with a Sprite motor for about ten years...still have a lovely and rare Siata 300BC as well as an MGB racer and share both with my younger son...along with a Porsche 914 1.7 I bought new in 1970 and restored three years ago. While a carb 308 is most interesting I think FI would be more practical (particularly since I live up in the hills). But I'm not rejecting any version of the car.

4. Tessmar

Tessmar Rookie

Jun 26, 2018
    Sierra Nevada foothills
    Full Name:
    Marty Stein
    I certainly did not mean to be so absent over the summer...ran into some pretty hairy medical issues that focused my attention like nothing else does. I apprecaite the responses I received on my first post here. Just starting to be aable to turn my attention back to cars...and since I pretty much missed the entire racing season, to next year's vintage racing calendar.
    Had a brain fart getting ready for the only race I did in 2018...forgot to put the Siata in gear before releasing the clutch on the winch and it rolled down the ramp door of the trailer and into the corner of the shop door. Sigh...but at least it gave me an excuse to get the paint redone since that was necessary to ensure a correct match to the damaged area. It's about the only time I could have wished the car were steel instead of aluminum. ;-)