Rev Limiter on the 812 | FerrariChat

Rev Limiter on the 812

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by 575joe, Jun 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 575joe

575joe Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2006
    I seem to be hitting the rev limiter (blue lights flashing on steering and power cut-off) several hundred rpm before I get to the 8900 rpm limit.
    Anyone else have the same issue?
    Is it restricted perhaps until you reach a certain number of break-in kilometers? (I have about 1700 kms on mine).
    Thanks,

2. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Not saying that's the case with the 812 once I have no first hand experience with that Ferrari, but Ferrari's tachometer policy is confusing at best:

- The 488's tacho has the redline painted from 8000rpm onwards, yet no 488 ever reaches 8000rpm. Fuel cutoff occurs between 7700rpm and 7800rpm.
    - The 458's tacho has the redline painted from 9000rpm onwards, yet owners' manual states peak power and fuel cutoff at 9200rpm.

Hardly accurate, therefore. It could be a cosmetic issue (like the 488 - fuel cutoff occurs earlier) or not, but in whichever case, I don't believe the car's cutoff will adapt itself automatically once break-in finalises (assuming there's even a break-in in modern engines).

Kind regards,

Nuno.

3. ForeverCar

ForeverCar Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2017
    I’d like to learn more on this as well while I’m waiting for my 812.

Regarding the 488, I really don’t understand and have not been able to get any details. For the most part, I can get over it and the car is simply amazing. It’s still odd though.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. abdulla.alhajri

abdulla.alhajri Karting

Jul 16, 2015
    Same here but cant figure out how far away from 8900 i need to do more tests.

5. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Do all modern Ferrari (458 onward) have automatic fuel cut off somewhere in the red line range, to protect the engine from over-revving?

6. ForeverCar

Jan 20, 2017
    I certainly expect rev limiter at advertised redline but not hundreds of rpm before.

7. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    If the engine package doesn’t produce additional HP, then extending the rev limit isn’t optimal.

Perhaps that explains the difference between the N.A. and Turbo Rev limits

8. ForeverCar

Jan 20, 2017
    I don’t think peak power production rpm defines the rev limit. For maximum acceleration, maximizing area under the curve is key.

For 488, max power is advertised at 8,000 rpm. Yet, I haven’t found a way to reach 8,000rpm.

It’s just strange that marketing material don’t seem to match reality. It doesn’t matter much as the cars and experience are amazing.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  9. Corvus

Corvus Rookie

May 10, 2007
    Ferrari lies about many things. Especially to the North American market. The 488 is cut of at 7800 here, lower if it's really hot and the cars AC is on. My 488 had it's cpu reprogrammed to increase rev limit by 400 RPM. So now I can get 8200 all day long. My 812 also revs no where near it's 8900 RPM even with race gas. But in Europe no one complains about FAKE red lines. Only in NA. Ferrari also lies about the weights of cars. I weigh all my cars and the lie is real. However, I still like Ferrari, and I have never owned a Lamborghini.

10. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    Hmm I noticed that too. I always thought because it revs tooo fast and the indicator can’t catch up. In comparison, on my GT3 I can always rev it to wherever the redline is and I thought it’s showing because it revs slower so I can see.

11. Gulfer112

Gulfer112 Rookie

Feb 22, 2023
    Full Name:
    Brian Butler
    I had a similar issue with my car today. I was in Manual Race mode and went for a speed run. The car cut out around 5000 rpm. I don't think it's a tach issue, as the engine wasn't screaming.

Is there a limit on the revs until the engine is warmed up?

SirTony76 likes this.
  12. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Yes, it needs to be warm before full revs are permited

soulsea and SirTony76 like this.
  13. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    It would be interesting to get your weight measurements vs claimed Ferrari weight!

14. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Your joking?

15. MaranelloAllTheWay

Apr 30, 2023
    This looks like its inline with the other thread.