Reverse gear problem | FerrariChat

Reverse gear problem

Discussion in '206/246' started by solly, Apr 12, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    I brought my Dino to a certain authorized shop in NJ for a complete tuneup, change of all fluids, cam adjustment and a re-seal of the engine, as it was leaking a bit of oil, and they had "fixed" this problem during a year-long cosmetic and mechanical refurbishment in 2007 (which included rebuilding the transmission and installing new synchros). I put 2,000 miles on the car between 2007 and 2014.

When I picked up the car at the end of last summer, the shifter would not depress as it always did to engage reverse gear. It won't depress at all. Not even a millimeter. The shop manager showed me how to slam my hand down on the lever and push it into reverse. He said I would have to bring it back for an adjustment.

So today I took the car out for the first time this year and had to slam it into reverse. All this is doing is wearing away metal from the "stopblock" on the shifter rod, and from the underside of the tab on the underside of the gate, both of which are there to prevent accidentally engaging reverse.

For various reasons I will go into in a separate post, I will never do business with this shop again. It is over 2 hours from my house, while Miller Motors is 15 minutes away. I told the NJ shop manager I wanted to bring it to someone else and he responded that if anyone else touches the car he will not be responsible for it.

Is this something I can fix myself? I have done simple things like tuneups, brakes, and hose changes but I know nothing about the gearbox. All the other gears work perfectly. Even 2nd gear when its cold. Any help would be appreciated.

2. possum

possum Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    australia
    Full Name:
    johnno
    I guess you have investigated that nothing has fallen into the exposed gate area and lodged between the two metal faces,does your reversing light work, from memory there is a bit going on down there with springs and stuff.

3. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    No, inside of gate is all clean, no debris, no metal caught anywhere. Reverse light works fine. Justy can't push down on the shifter handle into reverse.

4. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    you could undo the top 2 screws holding the shift gate on, the "stop" for reverse is under this so lifting the gate up 10mm or so might allow you to select reverse without pressing down.
    Good luck!

5. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    That definitely sounds like an alignment issue.

I would have taken it back during the winter months, but maybe that is when he is more slammed...

Regardless, I can understand why he won't warrant it if someone else has worked on it.

Have you taken it back to him yet?

Shawn

6. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    I've used this FNA authorized shop for years. They maintaioned my Challenge cars, built my 355 twin-turbo Challenge, serviced my road cars, did a year long mechanical and cosmetic refurbishment in 2007 on my Dino 246 GTS.

I believe I have spent almost $200,000 on service and track support over the 9 years I did track events with them.

However, some of their practices which came to light recently during a sale of one of my cars to a gentleman in California have really soured my relationship with them. And delivering a finished car with no reverse gear when it worked perfectly fine (2nd time they did this to me) is ridiculous.

I'm not going back there. Just wanted to know if this is a DIY project, or if it needs a mechanic. There is a terrific shop near me in White Plains who only work on the old stuff, and they're very good at it.

7. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    #7 Nuvolari, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The problem you are having has nothing to do with the gearbox and is contained entirely in the shifter box assembly where the gear selector lever is. I have attached an image from the parts book for reference below. Repairing this can be tackled with a basic DIY knowledge and no special tools.

Referencing the photo below your problem lies in parts 34-37. This is the mechanism that allows the stick to move up and down giving the necessary clearance for the reverse lockout. Chances are something is binding up this mechanism and keeping the spring from moving freely. The first thing I would do is to remove the shift gate (#5) held in with the 2 screws (#4) and spray some liquid lubricant like PB Blaster at the lowest point of the shift rod that you can see. At this time push on the shifter the way you would normally to enter reverse and cycle it to see if you can free up the mechanism a little. If you are lucky this is all that is needed.

Should the shifter still stick then it is a bit more work. You will need to remove the center console (held in with 4 screws around the perimeter) and then you will have to knock out pin #23 with a punch. Be careful to only knock it out just past 50% which will make re-assembly much easier later. With that pin out you can remove the 4 bolts #9 and the whole shifter will come out. With the whole assembly on the table you can remove the clip #37 and clean, grease, and re-pack everything. If you are a little handy with tools this is all easy.

One word of caution is to not touch the assembly of 25-27. This is the adjuster that regulates the actual shifting of the car. Its length and angular position is finely adjusted in a totally other procedure to get the best shifting. Your problem does not lie here so leave this assembly alone. By removing and replacing pin #23 nothing will change and the shift box will be able to be serviced in isolation of the gearbox.

This is an easy job and if your current shop is making it out to be some kind of rocket science involving the gearbox tell them to sell that bridge to another sucker. You can do this yourself or trust it to another independent. Either way it has nothing to do with the gearbox and its controls. It is all in the spring assembly at the base of the shifter.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Neelfryer likes this.
  8. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Apologies on reviving this and changing topics slightly, but has anyone else had difficulty connecting the transaxle shift shaft forward to the ggear shift rod? Mine are not exactly straight with the gear shift rod and slightly offset making it a tough one to adjust correctly

Attached Files:

9. 1monza

1monza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2005
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Norbert Hofer
    Your problem lies in the shifter box assembly. At the lower end of the chrome shift rod there is a nylon bushing that pivots on the "ball". This bushing should have a step on the outter diameter or champfer so it can move up & down in the socket. Sometimes these bushings do not have the step or champfer on them, not allowing the shift lever to be pushed down. If you have access to a lathe you can turn the step down or just buy the proper bushing, they are cheap. I believe a 308 should have the same bushing and common to many Ferraris. Simple to fix, just a pain to get to.

10. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    From the angle of the threaded portion of the long rod from the shift housing, I would say it is bent. The nylon bushing may be worn but that wouldn't affect the shift rod's orientation. Here is a diagram from the parts manual copied from the Ferrparts site:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. 1monza

1monza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2005
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Norbert Hofer
    I think part #13 is your problem. It needs to be able to slide up & down in the socket of part #12.

12. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    The reason I don't think part #13 is the culprit is because part #12 is clamped between the two haves of part number 1 and that shaft can only slide back and forth and rotate so even if part #13 was missing it wouldn't change the alignment of the long #17 shaft. I would at least look at the threaded end of the long shaft and make sure it isn't bent. I think the threaded part is only a bolt welded to the end of the shaft.

13. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    The alignment of the shaft coming out of the shifter box is based on how part #12 rests in the base and how it is clamped together - that may cause binding, but not as much on how it is aligned with the transmission. The unit then bolts to the floor. If it is not "level" at the floor, it would not be aligned properly with the transmission.

Check the installation of the engine mounts. I’ve heard people in this chat room refer to putting them in up-side down - that one side goes in one way and the other side is reversed. That would affect the alignment coming from the transmission.

14. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    I thought I’d mention that my last post was aimed at the question from Syncro. As for the shifter not wanting to depress, I did manage to have my shifter bind-up and not want to go into any gear. The moment I loosened the 4 bolts that hold the clam-shell together, the binding stopped.

I went ahead and removed the shifter unit and dismantled it. The lower portion is pretty straight forward. It is more difficult to reassemble the top portion if you take it apart because of the spring for reverse. But, just by taking the two halves apart, you should be able to see why it isn’t working properly. Of course, to do that you need to remove the cover and perhaps the seats…

Ken

15. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thank you for the kind replies, much appreciated.
    The cup is there but it is captured.